Cliff Anderson (1 Viewer)

holeshot

Nitro Member
Alot of you never knew my dad, but in the midwest he was the go to guy if you wanted the best lookin race car around.He lettered funny cars for Tom Hoover(showtime),Doc Holliday(telstar),fat fleet,Bill Schifsky(cox),and dozens more.Seeing all these cars and sitting in them in my driveway in Bloomington Mn.when I was just a kid is what made me fall in love with the sport.I remember sitting in the Pollution Packer rocket car and pretending I was making a 300 mph pass in 1975 while my dad Tony Fox and Dave Anderson decided how to letter it.I will miss my father greatly,the stories and all the talent he put in me.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. Those are some great memories you have with him than no one can ever take away.

Chris, your dad was more than the go to guy. He was 'The Man' of the upper midwest. Very sorry to hear of the families loss.

This news makes me sad, yet I just cannot help but smile as well remembering from just watching him work, running into him (seemed like everydamnwhere) many times 2 or 3 places in the same day LOL, and just reflecting on the shear amount of cars that man touched over the years.

Chris again my deepest to you and the family. Thanks to you all for sharing him over the years with us. And everyone who ever met him was at the very least just better off in life for having had the opportunity to meet him. A great man.

All my best thoughts and prayers from here. God Speed Cliff.

Sorry about your loss Chris, If you have some post a few photos of some of the great cars your Dad worked on.:(

As one who just lost his Mother I know first hand what it's like to lose a parent! Sorry for your loss....

Clifford E. Anderson Jr.
E-mail Visit Guest Book
Anderson, Clifford E., Jr. age 80, of Bloomington, passed away on Dec. 13, 2009. Cliff proudly served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. Along with being a wonderful and loving husband and father, he will long be remembered as one of the true masters of hand lettering and an innovator of custom striping in a career spanning over 50 years. Cliff's work included trucks, classic cars, race vehicles and street rods. His artistry has been displayed world wide in museums including the Smithsonian. He had many passions including restoring classic cars, motorcycles and a vintage airplane. He treasured the many friends that he knew through his club affiliations including the Cadillac LaSalle Club, the Buick Club and the EAA. He was loved by so many and will be missed by all. Preceded in death by parents, Clifford Sr. and Laura. Survived by wife of 56 years, Wilda; children, Linda (Dave) Reichert, Sharlyn (Greg) Rekenthaler, Clifford III, Janeen Murgic, and Chris (Laura); grandchildren, Cale, Carly, Tyler, Anna, Jesse, and Shania; extended family and friends. Memorials preferred to Bloomington Lutheran Church or Animal Ark. Memorial service Friday, Dec. 18 at 11 AM, Bloomington Lutheran Church, 9350 Portland Ave. S., Bloomington. Interment Ft. Snelling National Cemetery. Visitation 1 hr. before service at the church and Thursday 4-7 PM at: Washburn-McReavy Werness Brothers Chapel 2300 W Old Shakopee Rd. 952-884-8145

Like I said he was "The Man" of the upper midwest. RIP.

Chris, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'll see you tomorrow evening.

This is a scan of a "handout" from Tom Hoover. This is just one of the many race car that he did over the years. I'll post more later as I find them.

Brian

4ee91fe8.jpg

Chris, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'll see you tomorrow evening.

This is a scan of a "handout" from Tom Hoover. This is just one of the many race car that he did over the years. I'll post more later as I find them.

Brian

4ee91fe8.jpg

Wow Brain, what a piece of Nostalgia! What year 77-79???

Wow Brain, what a piece of Nostalgia! What year 77-79???

According to the 70's Funny Car site it's from 1975. This is an ex Prudhomme car.

70s Funny Cars - Round 9 (Hoover's car is second from the bottom)

Edit:
According to THIS article, the car is now back in Prudhomme's hands and is currently being restored. (it may be finished by now) It is also reported to be the last funny car that John Buttera ever built.

Last edited:
Brian thanks for the memories of old.

I am sure Newman and or Doc have a ton of old pics on the TelStar.

Some of Schifsky/Beartown and Tcshida/Cheetah former help lurk here maybe they can get in.

As well there has to be a pure ton of pro stock, alky, and sportsman pics stashed out there.

Would love to see just the library of the cars he touched.

Brian thanks for the memories of old.

I am sure Newman and or Doc have a ton of old pics on the TelStar.

Some of Schifsky/Beartown and Tcshida/Cheetah former help lurk here maybe they can get in.

As well there has to be a pure ton of pro stock, alky, and sportsman pics stashed out there.

Would love to see just the library of the cars he touched.

Cliff III (Chris's brother) has literally thousands of pictures of the cars he and his father have lettered/striped over the years. I would LOVE to get my hands on them and spend a week just scanning them. And yes, he did a lot of Pro Stock cars too. I know he did John Hagen's cars..... and if I'm not mistaken, some of Warren Johnson's cars. (and many others with Don Ness' shop being here in Minneapolis)

Chris, sorry to hear about your dad.

The obit is a great read. Looks like he had 80 good years doing stuff he loved.

Thanks Brian, I know the one is a circle car just me made laugh thinkin about the day Mark Martin rolled into the shop.He was so young then and needed car done for state fair race.Just another good story my dad left me with.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back