Clear Channel Settles Rock Concert Lawsuit (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
Clear Channel settled a lawsuit for 50 million. They where were sued because a radio station they owned simply ran a radio ad which advertised the Great White concert where the venue caught fire and people died. I'm concerned that this could have a chilling effect on entertianment and sponsorships of all kinds.

Last edited:
Rich that stuff's been going on for some time now.That's a Jury problem more than anything! A Lawyer can't force a Jury to award ****!

OK 22 MILLION. SO WHAT? HOW IS THAT THE RADIO STATION'S FAULT? THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BAND'S SHOW.

Great White played in West Warwick RI at The Station night club 5 years ago. Pyrotechics were lit and it caught the soundproofing on fire. 100 people were killed inside, 4 other later died. Read the wikipedia version here The Station nightclub fire

The settlement was for $22mill, not 50 mill and I believe the radio station that ran the ads also gave away tickets if my memory serves correct. Clear Channel agrees to pay $22 million to nightclub fire victims

Yeah....they can pay $22 MIL for something that was not even their fault.........and yet NOT PAY ME ANY SEVERANCE AFTER I WORKED FOR THEM FOR OVER 14 YEARS!!

That's real nice.

That WAS their fault.

I won't even get started..................

Rich,
I was not saying that I agree or disagree with the lawsuit I just wanted to put more facts out there. I figured if you heard the settlement was incorrectly reported at 50mill they may have left out other facts. In todays society when something like this happens the plantiffs lawyers throw companies etc against the wall to see what sticks. If god forbid there was an incident at a drag race that the laywyers would sue who ever they could. Though I have not seen anything recently I am sure there is a big list of defendants in the Critchley case.

Believe me I hate frivolous lawsuits and was surprised to hear at first that Clear Channel was involved. But for them to settle for $22 million must mean that their lawyers/insurance company must have felt like they had a greater then normal chance to loose. Another website had more information that stated the radio station "promoted the concert by running on-air advertisements, distributing free tickets to the show and having a disc jockey serve as master of ceremonies and introduce the band." That right there shows they had a great role then just advertising the show. But does that mean they should be sued? I think there is more to it then what is being presented. Among other who have also been sued and settled is Home Depot. I believe because that is where they purchased the soundproofing, that seems a bit ridiculous to me.

As a side note, I realized that in my original post the website I gave, WHDH, used to have one of the owners of the night club, Jeff Dederian as one of their reporters. He had left the TV station before the fire. At first WHDH used to disclose the fact that he once worked for them, but has stopped doing so for the most part. I am not sure if that is why they left out certain facts.

Rich..obviously you did not have a loved one who passed away in that incident...104 people died...the underwriter is who paid the settlements and they are not skipping any meals after the payout...22 million is not alot of money when the esq's take 45-55% and after figuring out each individuals potential future earnings you'd be surprised how little the families receive for losing a loved one...

On a side note: John Ritter (threes company 70's) family has received 14 million from a Burbank Hospital and they are going after 60 million for their loss..and rumor has it they will get it..deservingly so after they ignored many warnings...and that is small change for his potential earnings before his death.

And if the insurance companies would settle for what people deserve you would not hear about any lawsuits...

Last edited:
I just heard a glimpse of it on the radio so sorry I didn't have my figures correct. Regardless, that was a traveling concert that comes through town and I don't think an advertiser is responsible for what happends at an event as they can not predict the future. We are going to sue ourselves into a depression.

I wonder how the original parties in this thread feel about the new Travis Scott/Astroworld lawsuits involving event promoter Live Nation (formerly known as Clear Channel...)?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back