CHRR 2015 (1 Viewer)

The Swegian

Nitro Member
I know it's still over a month away, but does anybody here have plans to attend? I'll be there all 3 days with my brother for our first ever trip to the Patch so we're both pretty fired up. Then, I'll be staying in Vegas for the Nationals the following weekend.

Just found out on Sunday our driver Andy has to fly a new client that weekend (he's a corporate pilot) and it doesn't look we're gonna go with the '57 Chevy. Working on other arrangements though.

Were are you staying?

Must do Double Tree Party Friday night, Milt's for breakfast, make friends with some of Aussies and get invited to a great BBQ dinner/liquid beverages of your choice (so long as it made with barley and hops), invite yourselves to Ed Iskandarian's party on the east side of the track during the Cacklefest or watch anywhere else you can. And don't forget to take lots of pictures.

Last edited:
Just found out on Sunday our driver Andy has to fly a new client that weekend (he's a corporate pilot) and it doesn't look we're gonna go with the '57 Chevy. Working on other arrangements though.

Were are you staying?

Must do Double Tree Party Friday night, Milt's for breakfast, make friends with some of Aussies and get invited to a great BBQ dinner/liquid beverages of your choice (so long as it made with barley and hops), invite yourselves to Ed Iskandarian's party on the east side of the track during the Cacklefest or watch anywhere else you can. And don't forget to take lots of pictures.

Gino, we're staying at the Homewood Suites near CSU-Bakersfield. When we decided to attend this year back in February, we tried getting in to the Double Tree for the very reason of the Friday night party, but it was already booked. Regardless, we will definitely be there for the party. So will you still attend the event, even if you don't a car entered? Where will you be staying? Look forward to meeting you if you're attending.

Last edited:
We're working on other options, but one way or another we'll be there. May bring another car or find a fill in driver. Normally I stay out of the nitro pits as it is too crowded for my liking unless picking up or delivering parts. Otherwise we'll be in the sportsman pits. We will be racing the '57 the weekend before at ANRA Season Finals at Bakersfield though. http://www.anra.com/ This race is for us little guys.

We stay at the Clarion Hotel across the street from the Double Tree. My dad is a charter member of the Throttle Merchants (a bunch of Geezers who worked in the automotive industry) and they book a couple of floors.

FYI, if your into memorabilia, here is the list of items up for auction: http://wdifl.com/2015-CHRR-auction

I got my eye on Steve Gibbs's NHRA Staff Jacket so stay away from that one.:D

Hi Mark,
I'll be there with Bazz Young - we'll be in the NF/C car area - the trailer with have British, Aussie, & USA flags flying for them there foreigners to find us... We will have two of the Telstar crew members working on the car, so Viking folks will be welcome!

Hi Mark,
I'll be there with Bazz Young - we'll be in the NF/C car area - the trailer with have British, Aussie, & USA flags flying for them there foreigners to find us... We will have two of the Telstar crew members working on the car, so Viking folks will be welcome!
Thanks Jerry! Glad to hear it. We'll definitely come around and bother you:D

We will be bringing my son Richard's 69 Camaro NFC with Engllishman Tony Betts driving. I am not sure if Tony brought an English flag with him or if our southern Confederate battle flag would be welcome, so we probably won't be flying any flags. You will just have to look for the 2 tone blue Camaro in the nitro pits when you want to stop by for a visit.

We will be bringing my son Richard's 69 Camaro NFC with Engllishman Tony Betts driving. I am not sure if Tony brought an English flag with him or if our southern Confederate battle flag would be welcome, so we probably won't be flying any flags. You will just have to look for the 2 tone blue Camaro in the nitro pits when you want to stop by for a visit.

I think you'd be fine flying the Confederate flag. People got their panties in a wad over that whole issue. The way I view it, some people flying it are idiot racists and other are flying it because it is their heritage. Just like many things in life, people warp things. Besides, I think drag racing fans would be just fine with it.

Mr. Hartman, some will find offence, others will see it for what the flag is meant for, but most simply won't care one way or another. All will happy to have you there. Here in California, the squeaky wheel gets greased. But the fact of the matter is, we as a diverse state have bigger issues to worry about. And when I say diverse, I mean farmers, cattlemen, factory workers, scientist, resort workers, small business owners and so on.

If I may, I would like to come by your pits to introduce myself sometime throughout the weekend.

Mr. Hartman, some will find offence, others will see it for what the flag is meant for, but most simply won't care one way or another. All will happy to have you there. Here in California, the squeaky wheel gets greased. But the fact of the matter is, we as a diverse state have bigger issues to worry about. And when I say diverse, I mean farmers, cattlemen, factory workers, scientist, resort workers, small business owners and so on.

If I may, I would like to come by your pits to introduce myself sometime throughout the weekend.

I second Gino's sentiment. Not that I'm from California, but I know the state as a whole has issues far more important with which they should be concerned. Virgil, my brother and I would definitely like to stop by and introduce ourselves as well. Look forward to seeing the car and what she can do.

I lived in California for 44 years, I know all about the enviroment. Moved to South Carolina in 1993 escape the things I wasn't comfortable with. I love the south but I was only having fun mentioning the confederate flag.

I will enjoy meeting all of you and you are welcome to stop by all weekend. Please show a little restraint if we are up to our elbows in a thrash for the next run.

I lived in California for 44 years, I know all about the enviroment. Moved to South Carolina in 1993 escape the things I wasn't comfortable with. I love the south but I was only having fun mentioning the confederate flag.

I will enjoy meeting all of you and you are welcome to stop by all weekend. Please show a little restraint if we are up to our elbows in a thrash for the next run.

Absolutely Virgil. I am always mindful of the situation you guys face when getting ready and keep my distance when you look swamped. I saw some DRO coverage where Richard ran the car recently (Martin, MI, I think?). Sure is a gorgeous car.

Our entry is going on Monday. We'll be running in the A/G class with former Pro Stock competitor (from the 70's) Lyle Larson taking care of the driving duties.

11249316_1016106031734168_1519866331345978365_n.jpg

Virgil
Bring the Confederate flag !

Bummer, Gino. We're not going this year and were looking forward to following the action online.

Gino, I have built 5 of the 69 Camaros some probably shouldn't have cut up but this has been my favorite since owning one when I was 17 yrs old. Awesome car, wish I could be there to watch it run. Have a great time at the race track.

Jesse, yes there is a bit of regret of cutting up this original Z28, but at the time you couldn't give them away. However, it does still have the original headliner and dome light. ;)

When the car was converted to a race car it was meant to be a Super Gas car and never intended to go as fast as we are now. The car is a test platform for our 32-valve BBC heads. It's been a struggle but we can now run the 7:60 index with the rest of them.

While the BangSift deal is disappointing, you can watch us make passes back in June here. http://livestream.com/accounts/2071963/events/3798679
at 2:28:00 in the morning session and 1:05:00 in the afternoon. Note the track announcer is NitroMater's own Mike English.

The ANRA is scheduled to have live streaming video next weekend at Famoso at this website. We will be there with our A/G '57 Chevy. Be sure to watch us then.

This is very cool bucket list item Mark! Congrats on putting it together. Awesome awesome awesome.
Some random points:

The track is about 20 minutes north of Bakersfield proper.

When on the 99 going north, exit at Lerdo highway. There is a Chevron gas station there. Go east a short amount, and take a left at Zerker road. It takes you thru the back country orchards. They grow oranges, almonds, grapes and stuff. Nice scenery. It will take you north and t-bones at Famoso road. Make a right eastbound, and the track is a short drive and on the right.

The first entrance you'll see is the racers entrance, the 2nd is for the middle parking lot and the 3rd is for the side lots.

On Saturday, try to be there at least by 8am or you'll be stuck parking on the side of the road you came in on. The Zerker road shortcut bypasses the long line of backed up traffic that can form there. I've seen it go all the way to 99 almost.

If you don't have tickets already, get all three days' tickets on Friday. The ticket line on Saturday can get very long. This way you can breeze right on in.

The doubletree has a wing-ding on Friday night. Beacuse I am usually hanging out in the pits on Friday night, I have never made it in time to attend the formal dinner presentation but it looks like a nice time. Big Mac usually emcees. They give speeches and honor the honorees. Big Jim Dunn is this year's grand marshall. By the time I get there, the ceremony has let out and the guests are mingling everywhere.They will have a mini cackle fest afterwards in the front area there.

In-N-Out is on Panama lane. Zingo's and Milt's diners are usually where the racers eat breakfast in the mornings.

On Saturday, is the cackle fest. try to secure spots on the fence for that. You WILL get blasted by nitro.

Try to sneak in to the Smokers bleacher that is in the back corner behind the left lane water box for a while. They usually have it roped off because it's "for them only" but maybe they'll be cool and let ya in. Say you're visiting from far away and just want to take a few pics.

Kevin Stith has THE BEST t-shirts on the midway. Hopefully he will have the trailer there.

Bring a small radio device that has fm radio. The track speaker system sucks bad. I'm not sure what the radio frequency is, but I usually have a small mp3/radio with an earphone and it keeps me informed with the track activity.
-or-
find a bleacher that has a speaker in front of it.

When F/C is called to the lanes, a forest of fiberglass is created in the staging lanes. I go down there and walk in between all the cars. Very cool to be amongst all those machines.

You will need to sacrifice some on track racing viewing to be able to walk around and take in the whole facility. Definitely try to take it all in. I usually sacrifice the slower classes of jr fuel, b/gas, c/gas, d/gas, Nostalgia Eliminator II, and N/E III.

N/E I and a/gas are fun to watch. Both are 7.60 index classes.

Sunday will be a much smaller crowd with no need to rush for parking.

The winner's circle trophy pic taking deal is like a nice cherry on a great sundae.

Famoso is an old track with tons of history, character, and is the mecca of nostalgia drag racing. I won't be able to make it this time but nonetheless, I frickin love that track. I hope you and Alan like it too. March Meet is just as fun if not more.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back