chicago 2024 (9 Viewers)

rt. side bleachers were pretty full yesterday (sunday). how many do you think attended? my guess is about 10-12k. not very good
for such a large market. puzzling why this race doesn't draw more.

after hagan won FC, the starting line interview with dickie v., usually tony can be seen with him, or near him. didn't see him. i'm wondering if TS, after his first round loss,
didn't cut and fly over to the brickyard for that action yesterday afternoon. kyle larson to do the indy/nascar deal on 5/26, same as tony once did.

edit: wrong guess: tony in victory circle photo w/FC team

Last edited:
How much of the sparse crowd can be put to a lack of advertising in the weeks prior to the event? At a track that NHRA does not own, who is responsible for advertising? NHRA? Or the track owner? We don't see anywhere near the advertising of upcoming events that we used to, since the whole advertising landscape has changed. But I can't but think this is part of the problem at a place like Chicago.

How much of the sparse crowd can be put to a lack of advertising in the weeks prior to the event? At a track that NHRA does not own, who is responsible for advertising? NHRA? Or the track owner? We don't see anywhere near the advertising of upcoming events that we used to, since the whole advertising landscape has changed. But I can't but think this is part of the problem at a place like Chicago.
I live 30 minutes from the track and drive a ton for work. There wasn't a single billboard on any of the expessways. I-80, 294 ,355 or I-57. I did see some ads on social media. Force was on a a radio sports station and Tony & Leah were on local TV stations.

Is there a curfew? Based on the issues cars were having in the heat, I'm curious if a night race wouldn't be better for performance AND attracting a crowd...

rt. side bleachers were pretty full yesterday (sunday). how many do you think attended? my guess is about 10-12k. not very good
for such a large market. puzzling why this race doesn't draw more.
I believe part of the problem is thanks to the political landscape both in Washington and after years of local Chicago politicians arguably destroying a once-great city, people in that area don't have any disposable money. It'll cost a family of 4 $500 to attend a Sunday race at Joliet, by the time you add up admission, parking, fuel there and back, food and a souvenir or two.

it would be interesting to take poll of spectators at nat. events; to know where they are from / how far they drove to attend / whether single or multi-day / whether camping on-site or nearby.
everything is expensive and costs way more than it did 10 years ago. i would argue that inflation in general has eroded folk's disposable income. the entertainment dollar has shrank,
not to mention monthly costs for cell phones, internet, and TV packages.

I believe part of the problem is thanks to the political landscape both in Washington and after years of local Chicago politicians arguably destroying a once-great city, people in that area don't have any disposable money. It'll cost a family of 4 $500 to attend a Sunday race at Joliet, by the time you add up admission, parking, fuel there and back, food and a souvenir or two.
Carl, you are full of it. It has been documented, the cost of NHRA tickets for the last 50 years, aren't any more expensive than what they were in 1970.

People don't go to that race because they have other things they'd rather be doing.

Why don't you ask some of your fellow Maters what they spend to go to NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL games....ask them as well what they spend to take their kids to Great America, Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH or Disneyland for a day?...Or how much do they spend for their kids to play on club or AAU sports teams?

Save your money and choose where you want to spend your entertainment dollars, quit choosing to be dumb and making excuses.

I think i paid about 160.00-170.00 for 4 tickets (did the black friday special) parking was free. Spent to much money on water though. Brought a small cooler with water but a small cooler doesn't fit alot of water for 4 people

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back