Capps is no. 9 qualifier in pomona season-opener (1 Viewer)

POMONA, Calif. (Feb. 13, 2010) - Ron Capps drove the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger Funny Car into the No. 9 position during qualifying for the 50th annual NHRA Winternationals.

Capps recorded his quickest pass of 4.144 seconds at 301.54 mph in today's third qualifying round. His other laps were a tire-smoking 8.725/75.85 on Thursday, a 4.167/289.76 on Friday, and a 7.868/83.13 in today's final attempt.

"It's been a pretty tumultuous weekend so far for our NAPA team," said defending event champion Capps. "We smoked the tires the first round. In the second round of qualifying we ran a 4.16 and actually had an air line that blew off of it that slowed the car down. Tonight (under ideal conditions), Ace (crew chief Ed McCulloch) just went for it. The conditions were there, it was dark and we felt we could run a low 4.0. It just didn't hold, as a lot of teams who went after it found out.

"We don't have lane choice, we're No. 9, but looking back at last year we ended up winning the race and we weren't real comfortable with qualifying at that one either. I've said it time and time again, it doesn't matter where I'm qualified. I'll show up Sunday morning and Ed McCulloch and this NAPA team will have a car that can win the race, and I look forward to it."

Capps faces Jim Head in the opening round of Sunday's eliminations.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back