Kelly

Nitro Member
Via the Bakersfield Californian.....
http://www.bakersfield.com/136/story/72585.html

Jensen takes Super Street title
BY MIKE GRIFFITH , Californian staff writer
e-mail: [email protected] | Saturday, Sep 9 2006 11:35 PM
Last Updated: Saturday, Sep 9 2006 11:39 PM

Brady Bell came away with his first victory of the season and Lee Jensen walked away with the Super Street track championship Saturday night at Bakersfield Speedway.

speedway5-529.embedded.JPG

Photo by Tom Macht / Special to The Californian
Ron Capps races at Bakersfield Speedway Saturday night.
National Hot Rod Association Funny Car points leader Ron Capps competed in the Super Street race as well as the National Midget Racing Association event.

"I probably have too much on my plate, but I like them both," Capps said after driving in heat races for both events. "I'm having a good time. I appreciate these guys letting me come out and race in their points race."

The pleasure was theirs, said Rich Denman, who finished second int eh Super Street feature.

"I want to thank Ron Capps for coming out and running with us," he said. "That was pretty cool."

Capps was running 10th in the 22-car field 16 laps in the the Super Street race when Jeremiah Van Scoy slammed him into the wall coming out of turn four and never lifted off the throttle as he pushed Capps along the front straight wall ending Capps' night.

Bell took the lead on the ninth lap of the 30-lap race and held it the rest of the way although he was under constant pressure.

"I was on my tippy toes," Bell said of how he was driving as the laps wound down. "I knew I was due to for (a win), I was hoping it would be this year."

Brad Pounds finished third, followed by Mike Corwin, Scott Pounds and Jensen."

"There was a lot of (hard racing) going on and I was just trying to make sure I got to the finish," Jensen said of his strategy.

West Evans won the NMRA Three-Quarter midget 25-lap feature as Bruce Hiroshima came up just short in a a bid for victory.

Evans took the lead on the 12th lap when leader Kevin Wiley spun and collected second-place runner Scott Dobson. Evans led the rest of the way but Hiroshima, who was third going to turn four on the final lap, made a charge on the high side, to nearly pull out the win. Chuck West was third.

The race was brought to a halt twice due to rollovers. The first came on lap six when Bakersfield's Richard Marshall hit the turn four wall and barrel rolled along the front straight. The car landed on it's wheels and Marshall was OK. Next was Scott Dobson, whose car also hit the turn four wall on lap 13 and came to a rest on it's side on the front straight. Dobson was also OK.

Capps was sidelined after the Dobson accident due to a broken brake pedal.

Chad Johnson raced to his eighth victory of the season in Hobby Stock action, moving to the front on the 16th lap and staying there for the duration of of the 23-lap affair. The race, which was slowed nine times for caution, was cut short by two laps due to time constraints.

Points leader Michael Johnson, Chad's cousin, moved into second on lap 20 , tried a couple of times to grab the lead by using the low groove, but could not get the car to stick and had to settle f

However, Michael Johnson wound up with the victory when he was disqualified for improper air pressure in a tire. Jennings was also disqualified when he drove past the turn in point for tech inspection.

In American Stock action, Kevin Johnson avoided the carnage en route to his fourth feature win of the season.

Johnson started 10th and powered into the lead on the 11th lap of the 16-lap race, which was cut four laps short due to time constraints. Toren Loveless, who led laps nine and 10, finished second with Bill Brown third.

David Bezio raced to victory in the 20-lap Lightning Mini Sprint feature for his first win at the Speedway. Donny Ganson was second with Christopher Ganson third.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back