Calling out to NHRA Officials (1 Viewer)

Ya know what I found out last year with my anger over the coun...well you know. There is more to drag racing than NHRA. IHRA puts on a good show, actually the "show" aspect is better albiet you don't see the superstars. I also took in more events at my local track and reconnected to the drag world outside of nhra. There's a lot of cool stuff out there.
Yes, but NHRA is the big show and IHRA isn't on AFN or ESPN Pacific Rim. I'm hoping to get up to the mainland to check out one of their drag races.

S/F
D

Last edited:
PJ, we are members and investors in this sport, we should know. Do you think this focus group is accomplishing anything. I'm sure Shannon is listening in, if so lets get a chat room set up and maybe someone like Alan R. can get Tom or Graham to come in and talk about these issues. Also i would like to here from the CEO's that are spending millions on these teams.

Jesse,

I don't know how long you have been following the sport, but you should know by now NHRA doesn't give a damn what we think, or want.

Let me put it like this, if they don't give a sh..t about the racers, what makes you think there would be a chance of them caring about us, and wanting to take part in a talk on a forum? Honestly man, it's not going to and will never happen!!

Thread is comical. PJ you the man, reciting lyrics, classic, now I've got that song in my head for the rest of the day!! :p

Jesse,

I don't know how long you have been following the sport, but you should know by now NHRA doesn't give a damn what we think, or want.

Let me put it like this, if they don't give a sh..t about the racers, what makes you think there would be a chance of them caring about us, and wanting to take part in a talk on a forum? Honestly man, it's not going to and will never happen!!

Thread is comical. PJ you the man, reciting lyrics, classic, now I've got that song in my head for the rest of the day!! :p

Mike, i have been invovled in Drag Racing for over thirty years. I started with AHRA and then NHRA. I never got to meet Wally Parks, but I did know Jim and Ruth Tice personally and they understood the needs for fans and racers. Graham and Tom have no clue of the needs of racers and fans. The replies I'm hearing from everyone just solidifies my thoughts, my hopes were that they would respond and have some constructive conversation, it's apparent that's not going to happen.

IT' NOW TIME FOR THE CHANGE OF COMMANDER IN CHIEF AND CABINET.

Jessie,

We may be paid members in a NON-Profit Organization but we have no voting rights nor say in anything Glendora does. There was a proxy thing in the late seventies that saw to that.

NHRA is beholden to no one but itself, not the fans, the racers, nor the sponsors, (except by contractual agreement)

It's a pipe dream to think they care what we, as paying members and spectators feel. Membership and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of plain coffee at Starbucks and audiocast of the PA at National Events, plus a hard copy of results two weeks after the fact.

d'kid

Karl, we have the most power of all, we are the providers of the sport. If we all stand strong and support our thought's these leaders will cease to exist. We the racers, the fans , the sponsors need to get there action in motion. There's more than Graham and Tom that make up NHRA and it time to let all concerned parts know the dramatic alternatives to take place if change is not made.

Atlanta, will be testament of whats to come, we will just have to wait and see!

Prediction for Atlanta.

The sun will rise...

The race will go on as usual.

About 1 million people will tune in to watch on TV Sunday night.

People will be yapping about the race on the internet on Monday morning.

Brian

Prediction for Atlanta.

The sun will rise...

Brian
Brian, are you a racer or fan and are you content with the way NHRA is being ran. Not trying to be smart or arrogant would just like to know. Thanks

Prediction for Atlanta.

The sun will rise...

Brian

It'll be run, but what kind of show are they going to put on? Gainesville, Houston and Vegas were also ran on schedule and they were awful races to watch. The true test on the whole track prep issue will be Bristol, last year everybody was raving about that surface, so if the cars go there (assuming they have decent weather) and put on another smokefest then my 2008 racing schedule will be revamped.

Jesse,

I guess I'm all of the above with the addition of a drag journalist (freelancer for Drag Racing Action and Hot Rod Magazine amongst a couple of others), and I was an IHRA national event announcer for two seasons (2006 and 2007) and I've been working at my local drag strip for the last decade or so in roles from race director to announcer to trash picker upper.

That being said, my opinion is no more heavily weighted than anyone else's.

I guess the problem I'm having in wrapping my head around this whole discussion is where the anger and animosity come from with regard to NHRA officials from the members of NHRA fandom.

You ask if I'm happy with the way the NHRA is being run and I can honestly say I have never lost any sleep over the management of the NHRA. That doesn't mean I'm happy or not, it simply means that I've not fixated on it long enough.

I guess in a general sense, I see a sanctioning body who's every race, including it's sportsman categories are shown on national television. I see a series that still packs the house in an economic climate that says it shouldn't (during the great depression, two things flourished...movies and auto racing), and has actually managed to expand its schedule. I see a large number of member tracks that manange to stay in business because of group insurance rates, I see active programs to encourage participation and move street racing off of the streets and I see a new heritage series that will reunite top level nostalgia racing under a rule book and probably foster it's expansion as well.

Are bad decisions made? I'd love to see a business operation that does not make a bad call from time to time, the difference being that the NHRA's deicisons are captured on national television.

We have the luxury of throwing rocks from comfy chairs at home. It's easy to do and if you've had a bad day, it may make you feel better to call Graham Light or Tom Compton names or maybe nit-pick what type of car the guy drives.

I see drag racing as a healthy entity overall and I believe the NHRA has a large part to do with that. So in the largest sense, I suppose I am satisfied with the way the organization is being run.

Brian

I have a question, since some folks think that things are fine just the way they are in NHRA land, if the company you work for was managed the way NHRA is would you still work there? Or would you start "exploring other opportunities?" If you were treated by your boss the way race teams are would you still be happy?

S/F
D

I have a question, since some folks think that things are fine just the way they are in NHRA land, if the company you work for was managed the way NHRA is would you still work there? ?

I guess this gets to the heart of my conundrum.

In what way is the NHRA managed? (and don't just say badly....what are you specifically talking about)

I'm not trying to be a jerk, really, I'm just trying to understand. Socratic method or some junk like that I suppose.

Brian

I guess this gets to the heart of my conundrum.

In what way is the NHRA managed? (and don't just say badly....what are you specifically talking about)

I'm not trying to be a jerk, really, I'm just trying to understand. Socratic method or some junk like that I suppose.

Brian
Well Brian..

One example of bad management would be the way the nitro fiasco was handled with Don.

Another would be the way NHRA handles the sponsor issue..as in..you bring 'em..we take 'em.

The discrepancy between what is taken in..and the payouts to who brings them in.

My head is starting to hurt..so I'll take my pill now.

I just find it hard to think that you can sit there and be comfortable with the status quo. Like you..I don't lose any sleep or anything..but IMO NHRA is in trouble. I'm not angry..and I hold no animosity. But the way the show has been presented thus far..this year..is an embarrassment.

I also appreciate your input, Brian.

Okay, let's see they failed to capitalize on the opportunity provided by the scisms in open wheel or sports car racing to grow the sport. They have a bad and very public record of sponsor poaching. When they sold the naming rights to the sportmen series they failed to use that as an opportunity to market them ala the Busch/nationwide series. The official "everything" of the NHRA sometimes to the exclusion of other potential sponsors (ever wondere why the USMC, USN and USAF are not represented in drag racing?) Costs increasing purses stagnate or shrinking. NHRA owned tracks not up to the state of the art standard. The sport of NHRA drag racing has not grown and in some ways has fallen in stature compared to the 1970's (ask any non fan about drag racing, after you get past the the no its not NASCAR thing the only drag racers people can name are Snake, Big and Shirley). Now far as executive compensation they've done a fine job as far as promoting, growing the sport and attracting new sponsors they're failures.

S/F
D

Last edited:
David...well said.

I'm with you on a couple of levels there.

The Don Schumacher thing has gotten very ugly and it would be close to impossible to say that (from Don's undoubtedly accurate description) it was handled well from the git-go.

I can see the payout issue as well, but maybe from a different light. We're well past the point in motorsports of making headlines with paydays. Every year we hear about the 1 million plus the driver who wins Daytona gets but after that it's kind of moot. Let's say in a perfect world an NHRA race winner won a million bucks. Would that alone really grow the fan base of drag racing? Again, I'm not trying to incite a riot here, I'm just posing a question.

The sponsor issue is something that does work both ways though. There are more racers trying to snake each other out of sponsors then there are sanctioning bodies.

Why does IHRA not have this problem? Again, a question...not a smart ass remark.

DeVallion....first off thanks for your military service. I have a cousin and brother-in-law currently in Iraq (one is a Marine the other was on a Sub and is now training the Iraqi police/security forces). I admire all of your commitment to keeping us safe.

It's really tough to blame the current management for the loss of stature of drag racing in the public eye from the 1970's, isn't it? Frankly, if that's the argument you want to make your finger should be pointing at Wally Parks as he was actively at the helm of the organization through that era and close to the one we are in now.

The state of the art standard arguement regarding the company owned tracks is true in some sense (especially compated to the SMI facilities) but having been able to (and still) travel to lots of tracks across this country and Canada for various stuff....those tracks on the NHRA tour are still the best in the world, despite some of their obvious flaws (gaping holes or gaps in the track are no acceptable at any level, so I'm with you there...but talking in terms of the overall package).

Lastly on the SCCA/Open Wheel deal. I'm not sure what the NHRA was supposed to do there. I raced an SCCA car while in college with a group of guys, none of which had ANY interest in drag racing or open wheel racing. They like sports cars and that was about it, much like many drag racing fans have no taste for NASCAR or the open wheel series. How do you market your sport to people who don't have any interest in watching it? Honestly, I never got the open wheel thing. I'm not the type who can sit down and watch and open wheel race from start to finish because it just doesn't turn my crank.

Brian

Jesse,

I guess I'm all of the above with the addition of a drag journalist (freelancer for Drag Racing Action and Hot Rod Magazine amongst a couple of others), and I was an IHRA national event announcer for two seasons (2006 and 2007) and I've been working at my local drag strip for the last decade or so in roles from race director to announcer to trash picker upper.

That being said, my opinion is no more heavily weighted than anyone else's.

I guess the problem I'm having in wrapping my head around this whole discussion is where the anger and animosity come from with regard to NHRA officials from the members of NHRA fandom.

You ask if I'm happy with the way the NHRA is being run and I can honestly say I have never lost any sleep over the management of the NHRA. That doesn't mean I'm happy or not, it simply means that I've not fixated on it long enough.

I guess in a general sense, I see a sanctioning body who's every race, including it's sportsman categories are shown on national television. I see a series that still packs the house in an economic climate that says it shouldn't (during the great depression, two things flourished...movies and auto racing), and has actually managed to expand its schedule. I see a large number of member tracks that manange to stay in business because of group insurance rates, I see active programs to encourage participation and move street racing off of the streets and I see a new heritage series that will reunite top level nostalgia racing under a rule book and probably foster it's expansion as well.

Are bad decisions made? I'd love to see a business operation that does not make a bad call from time to time, the difference being that the NHRA's deicisons are captured on national television.

We have the luxury of throwing rocks from comfy chairs at home. It's easy to do and if you've had a bad day, it may make you feel better to call Graham Light or Tom Compton names or maybe nit-pick what type of car the guy drives.

I see drag racing as a healthy entity overall and I believe the NHRA has a large part to do with that. So in the largest sense, I suppose I am satisfied with the way the organization is being run.

Brian

Brian, I appreciate all the work and dedication you've giving to the Hot Rod industry. I think maybe you don't quite get what most of us are talking about. I have dedicated 30 yrs of my life to Drag Racing and a lot of the others on Nitro have as well. Whats taking place on the track and the bad calls by NHRA officials is going to have a devastating effect on fan attendance and racer participation at the national events if there's not a change at NHRA. It's not like this just started, it really took a turn for the worst after Erics death. Now you take IHRA their tracks seem to be well prep and from what we hear the racers and fans are happy and are having fun. Your local tracks are fine, they're main draw are racers and track owner and management know there needs and maintain a good relationship with them. I can assure you that the concern ones here aren't setting in their easy chair throwing rocks at the TV.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back