Burgess wins his first and jumps into third place after Madison (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]MADISON, Ill. (May 3, 2009) - Roger Burgess recorded his first Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge victory and jumped into third place after a thrilling weekend that ultimately saw him take the finish line and the win by less than three feet.

After qualifying in the No. 2 spot with a 5.931/244.96, Burgess' road to the winner's circle began on Sunday with a single run when Rick Stivers failed to show after a harrowing qualifying crash on Saturday.

In round two, Burgess faced Mike Knowles in his Mike Strasberg-tuned '63 Corvette. Burgess blasted away with his Al Billes-horsepower and dispatched Knowles 5.953/243.28 to 6.217/228.65. The semi-finals paired Burgess with reigning IHRA champ Kenny Lang who broke and coasted down the track, giving the Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.-resident an easy pass, 5.928/243.06 to 14.000/59.73.

In the final, Burgess had to use every ounce of his accumulated driving skills to face nitrous-powered veteran Burton Auxier. In the end, Burgess slapped a .018 to .040 holeshot on Auxier and crossed the line less than three feet in front of him to score his first ever event win. By the numbers, it was Burgess with a 6.002/240.08 over Auxier's quicker 5.988/237.75.

"What an incredible win for us today," an ecstatic Burgess said. "It was definitely thrilling all day, and to win in such a close race, I have to tip my hat to Burton and his whole Al-Anabi team, but I so happy the things worked out the way they did for us. Every man out here worked so hard for this, it is truly something we'll hold onto as our first win together.

"Driving one of these cars is definitely a hoot, and today was a lot of fun - especially winning," he said. "I'm especially glad that both Rick Stivers and Harold Laird are ok after their accidents - it really goes to show you how the safety measures we have in place really do work. And, of course, the NRHA Safety Safari was right on top of their game - as always - proving that this is truly the safest and best place to race anywhere.

"We've got a great group of drivers that run with us, and we'd love to have more join us as we work through the season. It's definitely thrilling, and the competition can't be matched," Burgess said.

Up next for the get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge is the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals May 15-17 in Bristol, Tenn.

Points after Madison, Ill (Event 3 of 10)
1 Mike Castellana 241
2 Burton Auxier 216
3 Roger Burgess 212
4 Rick Stivers 200
5 Joe Baker 185
6 Danny Rowe 184
7 Harold Laird 155
8 Jay Payne 142
9 Kenny Lang 140
10 Brad Personett 139
11 Taylor Lastor 134
12 Mike Knowles 115