Brittany is Steve’s only threat but .... (1 Viewer)

DanTheFan

Nitro Member
I’d love to see Brittany get hot in the countdown and win it. I pull for her every week but oh, that right foot is a little sluggish. I’m afraid she has no chance unless she can cut many lights under .070. Looking at the Brainard eliminations, Steve had a .053 in the final, clay had .052, earlier rounds saw Antron go .042 and .062, Langdon .028, Ashley .062, Doug .061. Yes, many of them lost their races but Brittany had .101 (ok, a bye but why not practice), .095 and final a decent .078. But that won’t win against the top 4 or 5 leavers. So how much of this is optimized car setup for the top drivers vs they just figure it out? Still hoping .....

I think you are correct about car set up. Obviously the tuneup is the best out there. How about the driver Tune Up. What have they got to loose changing things up in the physical location of components or throttle adjustments. Repour the seat maybe - block off part of th visor - try staging on a count - breathe a shot of oxygen before getting in the car - get in earlier or later - exhaust all your air before turning on the second light - etc. None of this might work, but - what is happening now {AIN’T} working so good any way.

Totally agree Roger, Dave Grubnic definitely knows how to tune, Look at where he has been before. He can pull some big numbers out of a car but, They hafta look into Brittany now set-up wise. That will make or break a team's winning or losing.

The car indeed makes a huge difference. Erica Enders can vary her reaction time by as much as .02 just by adjusting the clutch pedal; I've heard her discuss it. But Brittany, and FC driver DeJoria, just don't react as some of the better leavers. We're all different, we can't all be Justin Ashley or Antron. Occasionally those two will go .070 but usually it's .100. Fortunately for them, they both drive top-shelf cars and most of the time, they go rounds. Kudos to the crew chiefs.

I was rooting for Brittany against Torrence. ;)

All she needs is a can of Monster drink before getting in the car…. Brett Kepner had a great series on drag racing that I followed in Ss&DI back when I was racing at ETown in the mid eighties …. He said if you’re slow on the lights have some sugar, if you are red lighting drink some water or eat a meal heavy enough to make your reactions slower

All she needs is a can of Monster drink before getting in the car…. Brett Kepner had a great series on drag racing that I followed in Ss&DI back when I was racing at ETown in the mid eighties …. He said if you’re slow on the lights have some sugar, if you are red lighting drink some water or eat a meal heavy enough to make your reactions slower
Just no peanut butter sandwiches !!

Brittany does need to work on her reaction time to beat Torrence and others. Grubby has one of the best tuneups but it's a crap shoot whether he can put 4 consecutive runs together on Sunday. Thats been a issue all year. But he's not alone. Another one who could win with better more consistent reaction times is Mike Salinas, he's all over the map and usually late. I still think Alan Johnson is the best out there but keep in mind his winning is up to the driver and I would bet Alan has had to bite his tongue a few times this year because of Mike's reaction time.
By the way what the heck has happened to Doug Kalitta this year, they just don't seem to be able to put it together and I don't think there is anyone more deserving to win.
Indy will be interesting as there will be full fields and no bye runs. Someone once said that on any given day anyone can win. We have all seen that happen.

Brittany does need to work on her reaction time to beat Torrence and others. Grubby has one of the best tuneups but it's a crap shoot whether he can put 4 consecutive runs together on Sunday. Thats been a issue all year. But he's not alone. Another one who could win with better more consistent reaction times is Mike Salinas, he's all over the map and usually late. I still think Alan Johnson is the best out there but keep in mind his winning is up to the driver and I would bet Alan has had to bite his tongue a few times this year because of Mike's reaction time.
By the way what the heck has happened to Doug Kalitta this year, they just don't seem to be able to put it together and I don't think there is anyone more deserving to win.
Indy will be interesting as there will be full fields and no bye runs. Someone once said that on any given day anyone can win. We have all seen that happen.
I hear ya about doug,sure like to see him get a championship while connie is around! Now alan johnson and doug would make a good pair!

and paul lee Q 5 and runs 330+ tuned by jim-o, who has shown up in stringer lounge on clay's vids a time or two.
keeping eye on the gal who is with stringer that came over from mcmillen. IMO she wants to know and learn everything. very valuable.
......... would like to see stringer become 2 car team. total respect for them to skip BIR Q1 due to weather and then RU to capco in final.
take the money they saved on friday and add to RU, i wonder how close that amount is the what capco was paid for the win?

and paul lee Q 5 and runs 330+ tuned by jim-o, who has shown up in stringer lounge on clay's vids a time or two.
keeping eye on the gal who is with stringer that came over from mcmillen. IMO she wants to know and learn everything. very valuable.
......... would like to see stringer become 2 car team. total respect for them to skip BIR Q1 due to weather and then RU to capco in final.
take the money they saved on friday and add to RU, i wonder how close that amount is the what capco was paid for the win?
Def enjoy clays channel! Sound is so much better than fs1 and no announcers!!!

I'm another one that wonders if the tuning setup has anything to do with it. She ROARS through the top end. Is that the way Grubby has the car tuned?

There hasn't been much said about this, but it seems like there might be a place for a car cockpit setup / launch / driving coach in the fuel cars. Maybe someone who has been very successful and now isn't an active Driver or Car Chief / Crew Chief. Yes it would be a somewhat expensive deal but not necessarly a perminate position and how many rounds would you have to go to pay it back and get some of the drivers more confidence. It is the CC's responsability to make the car perform but not necessarily driver training.

Last edited:
Reading all this brought back memories of Hillary Will. How many times did she qualify #1 only to get a bad light. I'd say that's
why she got parked, KB probably got tired of seeing her get smoked at the tree.

Where is Lewis Bloom when you need him? I’d love to know what the top 5 reaction times were 10 or 20 years ago vs. today. I suspect not as good. Did guys like Antron and Doug just get better? How do the great younger drivers step in and get better RT’s their first year than 95% of the field? Gotta be something to the setup and training. In addition to linkage, chassis setup matter? Tire wear? Could be a whole science project. I’d be interesting if tuners for for best leavers said nope, nothing special about the car, the kid’d just good. I think everyone agrees it’s more difficult to drive a FC than TF. So not many pedal jobs win races in TF. Given that, the driver’s RT is like 80% of what matters in their skill?

Dan, Also you have to consider that the farther back in time we go, the more we had drivers sleeping in the Crew cab as well as driving it to
the next race. All the tuners had to do was toss a TOWEL over the go pedal. LOL

If team Brittany find consistency and respectable reaction times I believe she will win it! I hope she does! I like Steve but I like Brittany more!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back