Bo Diddley Passes (1 Viewer)

Whenever I hear the name Bo Diddley, it reminds of those Nike-Bo Jackson commercials of the early 90's where Bo is shown playing football, baseball, basketball, etc and saying "Bo knows..." and it ends with Bo Jackson trying to play guitar and playing quite poorly. The camera flashes to Bo Diddley saying "Bo, you don't know diddley".

RIP Mr. Diddley.

I'm very sad to hear of this, he was one cool cat. I had the distinct pleasure and honor of playing drums for him on a gig in 1990. Back then I remember thinking he was pretty old but he absolutely brought the house down, playing pretty much non-stop for close to 2 hours! It was one of the real true highlights of my playing career and one that I'll certainly never forget.

RIP, Bo Diddley... they're all doing that Bo Diddley beat in heaven now!

I'm very sad to hear of this, he was one cool cat. I had the distinct pleasure and honor of playing drums for him on a gig in 1990. Back then I remember thinking he was pretty old but he absolutely brought the house down, playing pretty much non-stop for close to 2 hours! It was one of the real true highlights of my playing career and one that I'll certainly never forget.

RIP, Bo Diddley... they're all doing that Bo Diddley beat in heaven now!
That's how he toured in the early 90's. I got to work two of his shows in one night on the production side. He'd fly into town with his guitar. The producer/sound provider would supply the exact model of Fender amp he preferred. A small group of local musicians would be brought in to accompany Bo. Sound check was basically a quick rehearsal of his song list - he showed the locals the first 4 bars of each song. Then he'd hit the stage for the show and absolutely rock the room! For an old dude, he still had "it"!

RIP Bo.

That was kind of a sad write-up. Seems Bo never really got his due.

In reference to all his accolades:

"Diddley appreciated the honors he received, "but it didn't put no figures in my checkbook."

"If you ain't got no money, ain't nobody calls you honey," he quipped.

Road Runner was my favorite.

That's how he toured in the early 90's. I got to work two of his shows in one night on the production side. He'd fly into town with his guitar. The producer/sound provider would supply the exact model of Fender amp he preferred. A small group of local musicians would be brought in to accompany Bo. Sound check was basically a quick rehearsal of his song list - he showed the locals the first 4 bars of each song. Then he'd hit the stage for the show and absolutely rock the room! For an old dude, he still had "it"!

RIP Bo.

That's pretty much how it went with us. We were doing a week-long engagement at a ski bar in Colorado and he was booked in on top of us. We did an opening set then returned after about a 30 minute break as his backup band. I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up some of the pictures, it's been years since I've looked at them.

Last edited:
That's pretty much how it went with us. We were doing a week-long engagement at a ski bar in Colorado and he was booked in on top of us. We did an opening set then returned after about a 30 minute break as his backup band. I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up some of the pictures, it's been years since I've looked at them.

Found 'em!

BoDirt07.jpg

BoDirt010.jpg

Cool pix Tom, thanks! By any chance, was that club in Breckenridge (or Frisco or Silverthorne)? I think I recognize someone in the crowd...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back