Black Reign GoodGuys BG Report (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
The Black Reign Gang just returned home from an awesome weekend at the GoodGuys Nostalgia Nationals in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and despite absolutely perfect weather, Reign fell all weekend long!

We don't normally arrive for these races on Friday, but in this case, we decided to. After coming back from a 23 point deficit to 2-time reigning Pro Comp 1 champ, Richard Edwards coming into Kansas City and leaving with a 29 point lead, we were confident, but we also knew that if we took that for granted, Richard could easily return the favor in Bowling Green and take the title from us. So we decided to go on Friday and capitalize on the extra two qualifying sessions. As most have already posted, the atmospheric conditions this past weekend at Bowling Green, and just about everywhere else they were drag racing, was absolutely phenomenal. We were getting readings at times that were as far as 400 feet below sea level. That really put the Crew Chiefs to the test, because even though several of us have a good 7-flat tune-up, those tune-ups were virtually useless in the type of air we experienced.

It was a long weekend, so I'll keep it as short as I can. We, along with everyone else, really struggled to hit the 7-flat number during qualifying. Tons of 6.90's, as you can imagine, but very few close to the number. When it all ended Saturday night, we ended up number 2 behind the current champ, Edwards, with our 7.05 narrowly trailing his 7.02. That put us on the opposite side of the ladder, which is where we wanted to be, and that set the stage for final eliminations on Sunday. It was pretty simple for us, win the race and the championship was ours. If we made the final to race Edwards, the only way he could retain the championship was to beat us and run 7-flat in the process (the NPCA rewards dead-on index runs with a 10-point bonus, which was instrumental in us getting the points lead from him 2-weeks earlier in KC with our 7.004 #1 qualifying effort).

We ended up with a bye the first round when our scheduled opponent, Rob Pfeister, driving Mike Little's Outta Control '32 Bantam broke. Due to more attrition, our points rival Edwards also had the bye, so we were both going to be able to gun for the 7-flat bonus without the threat of losing due to a break-out. We ran first, but uncorked a 6.92! After hearing that, I couldn't believe it. The air was good, but damn! Richard came down behind me and didn't fare much better, posting a 6.93 for himself. The air was really putting it to us.

The second round was a match-up with Ronnie Robinson and his Mechanical Bull '23T altered. Ronnie blasted through the beams early, redlighting his chances away, so I had another freebie to try to hit the number. The car felt like it was hauling a$$ again, so I dumped it off around 1100-feet, and ended up with a decent 7.04. I was hoping that would end up holding for lane choice in the final, but Richard's opponent redlighted as well, giving him a free shot. He snuck in under us with a nice 7.03 for lane choice in the final.

Much to our surprise, Richard let us have the lane we had been running in all day, and he stayed in the lane he just layed down the 7.03 with. Well, we were right where we thought we might be, racing Richard in the final with a chance at the championship. Having not capitalized on the 7-flat bonus, Edwards had to beat us and run 7-flat in the process to take the crown for the third straight year. I was squeezing the button so hard on the starting line, I'm surprised I didn't shove it right through the steering wheel, but there was no way I was going to red light our chance away, especially after all the sacrifices everyone on the team made all year to get to this point. I cut an absolute pitiful .07 light, but it was irrelevant, as Richard bulbed in the other lane, and the title was ours! I shut if off after noticing my win light and coasted through. Richard was really going for it as a nice 7.01 popped up on his board. He was less than .018 from pulling off an absolute miracle. It was a great title run all year for both teams, so it was fitting that it came down to the final round at the last race of the year.

What can I say, other than it's been an awesome year! After struggling at the season opener in Indy, we won the last three races in a row, won 2-different classes at 2-different Muscle Car Reunions and runner-upped in the B-field at the World Fuel Altered Nationals. Kerry did a phenomenal job with tuning this car all year long, and to have that kind of success after throwing the deal together in March is just unbelievable. Many props to the great sponsors that made it all possible just to get back out on the track:

Grams Racing Engines
The Gettin' Place
Dishon Transmission Service
Family Practice Dentistry
Olson Paint & Body
Drew Olson Graphics
Kendall Motor Oil
Canode Chassis
T-Rax Trailer Accessories

In closing I want to thank everyone that pops in and reads my ramblings. They can't compete with the seasoned reports of the Rapid One, but like I've said before, I just like to share the experiences we have because they're so damn much fun. This year was great on the track, obviously, but it was just as good, or even better off the track. I was fortunate enough to meet many new 'Maters, as well as keep up with the ones I already met. Rapid, Belt, Gaulter, Minick, Greg Green, EDB, the Boyungs Boys, Dave Williams (and offspring) God, I hope I didn't forget anyone!; it was great meeting you all this summer and I'm going to miss you all terribly this winter. We had some great times and I can't wait for next year already. We have summonsed the aforementioned Boyungs Boys, Shane in particular, for a new team website, so I'll keep everyone posted on it's progress and ultimate debut.

See ya' next year!

Sean D

ahhh DeWitt you are my hero....all you do is win!!!....you mind sharing the formula with us?! We coulda used it last weekend!!

CONGRATS ON GREAT SEASON!!!....you and your group are some of the best people in the pits and i am privileged for having got the chance to meet you guys this year

See ya next year!!!!

Good stuff Sean ... sorry I missed ya last weekend. I will make it a point to say hi next time our paths cross.

Sean. It was great to get to meet ya this year... I was also thrilled when you choose me to do your website for ya... I hope you like what I have done so far.... Oh yeah Congrats on the win and The Championship !!!!!!!

Sean,

What can I say? Congrats on all your success this year. You all work hard and it shows in the performance of the car and the driver. It was my pleasure to meet you and the entire crew this year. And thanks for letting me stand in the winners circle with you at KC. Now, that said, you have to get the win at the WFAN next year buddy!

Greg

YeeHaaa Sean!! Way to go..a great big congrats on a super year. You deserve it man..cuz you do it right!!

I'll let Offspring read this Saturday..hehe.

Sean D, Congrats to you and Kerry for a fantastic season and the Championship. You guys really are a hell of a team. :cool:

Glad to have raced with you guys this year.

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back