Black Reign Eddyville Report (1 Viewer)

Sean D, shondoo

Nitro Member
Well, I can't say a heck of a lot more than has already been said by Shane, Sean B, Scott Gaulter and Rapid. What a deal to not only witness for the first time, but even more so to be a participant. The entire Black Reign gang had a great time!

We had our first qualifying time scratched when we were alongside the Dunn & Gone Fiat of John Dunn. Big John was on a good one, but started coming across the stripe near the finish line. He ended up punting the last cone, making our time come up 4.10 at a whopping 652 Mph, which I believe stood for top speed of the meet....................:D We ended up being allowed a re-run about an hour later, and ran 4.30 to put us on the bump.

Kerry stepped it up a little for the last session Saturday afternoon, but the air had gotten over 800 feet worse, so we were just hoping to repeat at that point. However, with Nanook still on the outside looking in, we were pretty sure Rapid, Dave and the rest of the Nanook gang would end up putting us atop the B field, which was exactly what happened in the second to last pair. Rapid fired off a 4.17, to bump us out, shortly after we repeated with another 4.30. We were happy, however, because that 4.30 was in much worse conditions.

That set-up a first round date with Mr. Hope and the Rat Trap gang, which was really awesome. I had never run alongside a nitro car that ran that much in the tank! He was making so much noise while we were staging that I had to look at the tach to see if our stuff was still running! LMAO!!! Anyway, we were fortunate enough to get around Rat Trap and post a nice 4.29 to give us lane choice in the semi's. I have been having trouble with going red quite a bit, so when our opponent broke on the burnout, I felt really fortunate because I was going to be able to take a shot at the tree to see if the adjustments we had made were going to work. But then I had a dumba$$ attack and rolled the starting beams, which not only cost me a chance to find my spot on the tree, but also lost lane choice for the final, which I really wanted because the left lane really seemed to upset our car.

We still felt confident going into the final against the Better Than Therapy gang. They were running right with us throughout the day, and we felt we could run 4.27 or so in the final. I made my mind up that I was going to go after the tree no matter what in the final, and if I could get back to where I was late last year, we should be OK. As a matter of fact, I even told the Rat Trap crew that we were going to be double-oh on the tree or red, one or the two, because I wasn't going to take any chances. I got away with a .009 and could immediately tell he was pretty far back, but at the gear change the car got unsettled again in the left lane. It never really got too far out of the groove, but it was bouncing and shaking pretty bad and I still didn't see him coming. Right about that time the car went up in RPM and the belt came off, ending our day. We coasted through at a 4.74, while Knowles recorded their personal best of 4.25. It was tough to swallow knowing that all we needed to run was 4.33 to win, but it was still a cool deal to see the Better Than Therapy gang record their personal best.

All in all, it was a great weekend, like everyone has said. The weather was perfect, the event was very well organized, and the track and it's personnel were second to none. I also got to add to my 'Mater roster yet again by meeting both Shane and Eric Boyungs, Eric Bru, Dave Hough and Greg Green. It was really great to meet you guys and I look forward to working with Shane and Eric in the near future. I also can't wait for you to debut that nostalgia nitro flopper, Greg! Keep me posted! It was also good to rub elbows once again with Sean Belt and Rapid. Damn, Belt, just how late did you stay up Friday?! :eek:

Many thanks to Scott Gaulter for the event, and to Scott Gardner and his staff at Eddyville Raceway! It was a great experience!

Sean D

P.S. Here's a link to a video of the B final. We're in the near lane. World Fuel Altered Nationals - "B" Final - Brightcove

great report sean D!!... man you kids got a tough hot rod! i gotta say i think the cars in each final were the cars/teams that most deserved to be there! pretty cool to see a couple of my fav folks in that final! i was gonna be happy no matter which team was winner or R/U! the black reign crew definitely represented! great seeing you again bro!

man... the little 'pow-wow' of drivers/crew that collected down by your trailer friday nite was a blast! it was definitely worth staying up past my bed-time!

Thanks for the kind words, brother! You guys didn't do so bad yourself. Hell, every other person that walked by our pits had one of your t-shirts on....................damn!!!

The whole deal was pretty awesome, wasn't it? The racing was great, the crowd, the weather..................man! That little "pow-wow" on Friday night was a long one, but it was worth it. I'm sure we kept a few folks up, but you don't get opportunities to do things like that very often, so I know I didn't mind. By the way, what exactly was in that cup that your buddy kept going back and refilling??? ;)

We're already trying to figure out how to get more money rounded up to put a bigger huffer on this thing for next year! Now I know why my Crew Chief/Partner Kerry Grams wanted to run this race so bad! WOW!!!

Sean D

Mr DeWitt , Was a pleasure meeeting you and your crew.. Tell Kerry thanks for letting us park the dually in your pits towards the end of the night..It was starting to be a pain in the a$$ having to walk out to the field to get anything..lol.. You guys put on a awsome show and our a class act all the way around... Thanks for letting my buddy Mike come in and shoot some pics of your car for me..

When we rolled up friday night I didnt expect to see so many of you guys still up and bsing... Looked like some type of "Mafia" meeting going on in the middle of the night in the dark...lol

Mr DeWitt , Was a pleasure meeeting you and your crew.. Tell Kerry thanks for letting us park the dually in your pits towards the end of the night..It was starting to be a pain in the a$$ having to walk out to the field to get anything..lol.. You guys put on a awsome show and our a class act all the way around... Thanks for letting my buddy Mike come in and shoot some pics of your car for me..

When we rolled up friday night I didnt expect to see so many of you guys still up and bsing... Looked like some type of "Mafia" meeting going on in the middle of the night in the dark...lol

"Mr" DeWitt? You're kidding, right?!

Seriously, though, it was good to finally meet you. I'll pass the word along to Kerry!

Sean D

Figured you would get a laugh out of it....

Anyhow I also noticed and commented on how many poeple were wearing nitromadness T-shirts... They must have been giving them away at the the gate....lol J/K
John dunn said they sold like 112 shirts The nitromadness must have sold at least 500 :) ....

It was great meeting you Sean D. You did great this weekend! Congrats on a job well done. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the flopper progress and..Jordan says we're buying an Altered body for it too so we can come play..lol Nice of him to spend my money so freely.

It was great meeting you Sean D. You did great this weekend! Congrats on a job well done. I'll be sure to keep you posted on the flopper progress and..Jordan says we're buying an Altered body for it too so we can come play..lol Nice of him to spend my money so freely.

LMAO!!! I like Jordan's train of thought already!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. It was great meeting you too and I'm going to hold you to your word of keeping me posted on that funny car! I'm just mad I didn't get a chance to sample your infamous BBQ!

Sean D

LMAO!!! I like Jordan's train of thought already!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. It was great meeting you too and I'm going to hold you to your word of keeping me posted on that funny car! I'm just mad I didn't get a chance to sample your infamous BBQ!

Sean D

That's an easy one..come down to KC in Oct for the Muscle Car reunion. I'm cooking again for that.

Excellent report Sean. I had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys. :cool:

Forget the bigger huffer, just put the "Spank in the Tank" ;)

Rapid

Excellent report Sean. I had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys. :cool:

Forget the bigger huffer, just put the "Spank in the Tank" ;)

Rapid

Thanks, Rapid! It was good seeing you again, too, despite the fact that you bumped us out Saturday night! :mad: But if nothing else, it allowed us to hang around for a couple of extra rounds being in the B field, because, man, was that A field tough!

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back