Better Duck! (2 Viewers)

A LITTLE bit bigger than Clay's small shot bag. but it wasn't left on the track so no fine or points deducted.😁
Larry Sutton---🤠
Would you say it was bigger than or smaller than Garlits' that grenaded in front of you Larry?

Then there's always Larry Bower's boomer

3F9B0A01-6050-4332-8658-4BC005F7D039.jpeg

Bob
All 3 of those could have ended a lot worse. but if you really want me to rate 1-3 the Garlits explosion would be number 1, because of the injuries the happened to Don and Tim Ditt. I have said before, I was at the right place at the right time to save Tim's life.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Bob
All 3 of those could have ended a lot worse. but if you really want me to rate 1-3 the Garlits explosion would be number 1, because of the injuries the happened to Don and Tim Ditt. I have said before, I was at the right place at the right time to save Tim's life.
Larry Sutton---🤠
I have read several accounts of the events of that day and have much appreciation for how you and the others involved all stepped up to save the lives of Tim and Big Daddy. Even though it's been a sport that has taken so many of our nitro heroes,I love it and it is an honor to be on here with you.🫡

I saw Larry Bowers explosion. Some pieces went over the finish line grandstands, into the pits (could see it). If I remember right, no one was injured.
I was standing in dragster staging watching it when the clutch blew up. The center floater, seen in the picture, went up like a Frisbee into the air, floated, and as it came back down we dove under the trucks that were parked towing dragsters beyond the finish line in dragster staging. The floater came down and took a chunk out of the asphalt not far from where we were, hit a car, hit a guy in the leg and then it shot across the 5 Santa Ana freeway into the orange groves. The guy it hit was injured.

Bob
Larry Sutton---🤠
Larry Martin told me during the same event he saw someone's baby fall from the foot area of the grandstands (baby was down where your feet would normally go and was open which let the trash drop to the ground). When the ambulance finally took the baby it's little face was purple. Do you remember hearing anything about that?

Engine restraints? What engine restraints?
This happened when I was at the 1973 Tulsa National Challenge. That was the first time I ever saw such a massive nitro explosion.
I did not take the picture.
1723590953240.jpeg

Engine restraints? What engine restraints?
This happened when I was at the 1973 Tulsa National Challenge. That was the first time I ever saw such a massive nitro explosion.
I did not take the picture.
View attachment 14772
1972 Ted……We left the race at its conclusion, headed home (Illinois)all nighter…stopped at the house Monday morning to shower and change then drove to Indy for the finals……just another 70 miles……NOTE: The car stopped before the engine quit bouncing.

1972 Ted……We left the race at its conclusion, headed home (Illinois)all nighter…stopped at the house Monday morning to shower and change then drove to Indy for the finals……just another 70 miles……NOTE: The car stopped before the engine quit bouncing.
Mitch, I was at the 1972 and 1973 events.
That boomer is still in my brain. I was doing a search of the ‘73 race and that picture came up.
Thanks for the correction though.
Carnage was of epic proportions both years.

Larry Martin told me during the same event he saw someone's baby fall from the foot area of the grandstands (baby was down where your feet would normally go and was open which let the trash drop to the ground). When the ambulance finally took the baby it's little face was purple. Do you remember hearing anything about that?
Randy
That day I was looking to the right when the baby fell from the stands. the baby was in white colors as it fell from the top of the stands I saw something big fall to the bottom, hearing the mother screaming, I jumped the fence I picked up the baby and gave the baby to someone on the track side. they took the baby to the hospital and later told me that the baby was fine. much to my relief. one tough little guy.
PS: in my years in drag racing I think I have seen it all.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Randy
I think it was topfuel@lions or Cliff wrote something here about seeing my (LEGAL) fence jumping and about the baby falling.;)
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Mark Oswald's honorable-mention contribution to the nitro demolition derby. I was standing by the fence when this 'minor engine failure' took place. Worst I've ever seen, magnified by the fact I was only about 100 feet away when it lit up.

Mark Oswald's honorable-mention contribution to the nitro demolition derby. I was standing by the fence when this 'minor engine failure' took place. Worst I've ever seen, magnified by the fact I was only about 100 feet away when it lit up.

That 1990 race marked the first of over 20 national events I went to at Texas Motorplex.
My seats were near the starting line, yet I could feel the concussion from that explosion.
I still can’t imagine what Oswald experienced when that thing let go.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back