Best TF and FC competition ever? (1 Viewer)

DanTheFan

Nitro Member
2019 has produced great competition. It used to be that all the top cars easily made it to round two and the real racing started then. No more. There are a lot of quality, fast cars. I’m pulling for Brittany. I have a new respect for what she’s done and hope she or Doug wins just based on Karma. Brittany has struggled with reaction times but seems to find enough in the countdown. Especially considering the level of competition, it would be quite a story.

If by best competition you mean parity yes. I really enjoy close racing. This has been one of my favorite seasons in recent history even though a lot of my favorites haven't had a lot of success.

The competition is indeed very, very good. Best ever, possibly. Vegas was so good. I still have a soft spot for the competition of 1966, 1967, and for sure 1975. This 2019 season has been great in my view, the product on the track is real nice.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

I haven't been to a race since Seattle last year. Can't wait to get down to Pomona! It's been a great Countdown.

The competition is indeed very, very good. Best ever, possibly. Vegas was so good. I still have a soft spot for the competition of 1966, 1967, and for sure 1975. This 2019 season has been great in my view, the product on the track is real nice.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

1975.... that was the year Don Garlits set that 5.63 ET record. Stood for like 6 years. You don't see that anymore.

Yes I think 1975 Ontario was the first all 5 second T/F field. There were around 4 cars that ran a 5 and DNQ. Don Prudhomme ran the first F/C 5 at that race. Gary Beck ran a 5.69 on Friday Q, so was the first driver to run 5.60's. I was stunned that Beck made that run, until Big Daddy ran that 5.63 - 250. Man that was a run!

I remember reading somewhere Garlits talking about that race, and how what he did to run those numbers would change the class forever. Something to do with his tuneup and a greatly diminished lifespan for parts. I wish I could remember in better detail, but maybe someone here knows what I’m referring to. Nonetheless, I remember being a young kid and reading about that race and being absolutely blown away.

I remember reading somewhere Garlits talking about that race, and how what he did to run those numbers would change the class forever. Something to do with his tuneup and a greatly diminished lifespan for parts. I wish I could remember in better detail, but maybe someone here knows what I’m referring to. Nonetheless, I remember being a young kid and reading about that race and being absolutely blown away.

I think he said the tune up was too expensive & he decided not to run it anymore. He also said he had put 8:71 rotors inside a 6:71 blower and that helped him. so why didn't he just run an 8:71 blower? Well, anyhoo, he ran that 5.63 with a 6:71 blower 44 years ago. Even today, the quickest nostalgia car is 5.49. Wow.....

I think he said the tune up was too expensive & he decided not to run it anymore. He also said he had put 8:71 rotors inside a 6:71 blower and that helped him. so why didn't he just run an 8:71 blower? Well, anyhoo, he ran that 5.63 with a 6:71 blower 44 years ago. Even today, the quickest nostalgia car is 5.49. Wow.....
True but the Nostalgia TF slingshots are limited to a very small tire, maybe 10.5 not sure.

If it wasn’t for the countdown, the top fuel championship would have been decided well before now.
After the year he’s had, there is no good reason Steve Torrence should be going into the last race with a lead of less than one

Yes and that’s how it was in 2017. Steve didn’t handle it so well. And now in 2019, he dissed his father on the show last week by saying Billy was ‘lucky’. Like he didn’t deserve to be there. Kudos to the tuners for Torrence and Steve is very good on the tree, but I’m pulling for Brittany or Doug.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back