Best/Safest Helmet (1 Viewer)

Joe Ballog

Nitro Member
I run a car in Top sportsman, I need a new helmet starting this season, I am having a hard time picking the best one. I figured the lightest would be the best, so I bought the new Impact carbon fiber draft helmet in their XL size at better than $1400.00, when it arrived it is just a bit to small for my head and they do not offer a bigger size or a fix, Simpson did say the would give a full refund but now which helmet do I buy? I have looked at quite a few on the internet, but can't seem to find a comparable one, Zamp makes one but the cost is $3000.00, more than twice the amount!!! I know there are a lot of racers on this site, so I thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts and opinions. I don't mind spending the money so much, but don't want to waste it!! Thanks for your replies..........Joe

Exactly how big, is your freakish head Joe?? :D LOL

I'm a little confused, Simpson said that Impact will give you your money back?? Or if you ordered a Simpson helmet, and it did not fit, they would give you your money back?? :confused:
Impact would be my first choice... not an option for you... Got it...
Simpson would be my next choice, I have an RX and a Bandit...
Bell would be another place to look, Millican wears a Bell...
After that, no clue...
Glad I could HELP, confused myself now... :)

I believe I read on NHRA that John Force sent a bunch of helmets off to Ford to be crushed. Sure would be nice to see the results of that testing...either that or just look to see if Force changes Helmets.

Joe
Bill Simpson does own Impact...
He does not own Simpson Race Products...
That is where my confusion comes in...
Did someone at SRP tell you that Impact will refund??
Or that SRP would refund their own Simpson helmet if you were to purchase a helmet from THEM that did not fit?? As long as it was not a special order... I cannot see a reason why either company would have an issue returning your money... I know some distibutors have stopped carrying driving shoes because of the ship them out and they didn't fit deal, ended up costing them way to much time and shipping costs... Hope you understand what I am trying to explain...

O.K. this is what is confusing me... Re-read your post... You say Simpson did say THE will refund...
Do you mean HE or THEY?? That is what is throwing me...

Last edited:
I run a car in Top sportsman, I need a new helmet starting this season, I am having a hard time picking the best one. I figured the lightest would be the best, so I bought the new Impact carbon fiber draft helmet in their XL size at better than $1400.00, when it arrived it is just a bit to small for my head and they do not offer a bigger size or a fix, Simpson did say the would give a full refund but now which helmet do I buy? I have looked at quite a few on the internet, but can't seem to find a comparable one, Zamp makes one but the cost is $3000.00, more than twice the amount!!! I know there are a lot of racers on this site, so I thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts and opinions. I don't mind spending the money so much, but don't want to waste it!! Thanks for your replies..........Joe

Joe,

Bell has a helmet called the M3XTRA....its for XXL sized melons like mine! Its the helmet they used to call the "Fat Head" about 6-7 years ago, but they have since stopped advertising it. I went the same route you did and sent back 4-5 helmets before finding the Bell. Ran me about $500.

Good Luck!

I believe I read on NHRA that John Force sent a bunch of helmets off to Ford to be crushed. Sure would be nice to see the results of that testing...either that or just look to see if Force changes Helmets.
Ford motor company would be the last place I would send a helmet to be tested. What the hell do they know about helmet safety? Someone should tell john about the Snell memorial foundation.:)

Just to clear things up, impact will give my money back no problem, except shipping I have to pay that, I can fit into most XL helmets, just not the impact model, just a fuzz to tight at the eyebrow area, looking for any help on other brands, preferably in carbon fiber/kevlar for lightness and safest.
Thanks again.........Joe

Just to clear things up, impact will give my money back no problem, except shipping I have to pay that, I can fit into most XL helmets, just not the impact model, just a fuzz to tight at the eyebrow area, looking for any help on other brands, preferably in carbon fiber/kevlar for lightness and safest.
Thanks again.........Joe
O.K. Joe got ya... Impact started out using this one size fits most deal from the beginning... Simpson Race Products has also started in that direction, HOWEVER!! When I ordered my RX I ordered the size to fit my melon, and had the same issue as you... After more than having it on for 5 minutes and I had a headache from hell, no problems at all with them exchanging it for a larger size... You can check SRP simpson race products for a sizing chart... They did make a CF helmet a few years ago... I would call them, and talk to someone about your issue... I know they will be more than happy to assist... Sorry for all the confusion, just trying to help... Goodluck in your search...

Last edited:
just thought i would throw this out there...

you said the one you purchased was too small. could you physically put it on? i used to think that i knew how a helmet should fit... but i spent some time with the simpson guys at indy one year and got an education on how a helmet should fit. they should be damn near uncomfortable tight. until talking with them and actually getting fitted by one of their staff i was guilty of always buying helmets that were too big (although they felt comfy).

just something to think about. as for helmets the impact nitro i have now is a really nice helmet and i feel really safe in it with the forced air going (good seal/fire protection). i also liked my last simpson. it was an RX-8 carbon fiber helmet. light and nice fit. hope that helps... sean

Metal Mafia Racing.com

When I bought my Bandit, the guy at Simpson told me pretty much the same thing. The helmet needs to almost be uncomfortable (i.e. limit head movement inside the helmet). Mine fits tight, but not too tight that it gives me headaches though...

Joe
Sean and Gary are absolutely correct... I failed to mention that little detail that is VERY important... I might also add, that there is what they call a break in period... until you wear it enough to conform to your size melon, it may be very very uncomfortable... However, if you do get a headache after say 5 minutes of wearing it, you will know that you have the wrong size... I double checked Simpons site, and most of their helmets still come in different head sizes... I understand your thinking of lighter must be better, but if the helmet is not a proper fit, that is a non-issue... I'll link you to Simpson for a size chart... But I am sure you have already been there... Like I said, I had the same issue as you... Mine was an easy fix, but do not forget about the break in period... Wear it for 15 minutes at a time, while making laps around the neigborhood in your celica... :D The neighbors will get a hoot, and you just might attract some needed sponsorship... Good Luck in your search...
Simpson Racing, Simpson Performance Products, Simpson Racing Products, Team Simpson - New Products

Last edited:
The most safe helmet is the one that fits your head the best. I cannot wear Simpson or Impact helmets. They fit too tight in the very front of my head, and too loose on the sides. Bell helmets fit my head properly. Bell does offer a pro and ultra series with carbon/kevlar for around $300 more of their standard helmets. Also carbonX lined for great fire protection.
There are a very selected drivers that are sponsored by a helmet company, but have other brands innerds inside the helmet so they fit their head correctly.
Go to a place that carries lots of helmets and find the brand that fits. Proper fit is way more important than weight, materials, etc. But if the helmet fits too tight on just the front portion of the head only, please look into bell. You may have a similar fit to me.

Joe
Bill Simpson does own Impact...
He does not own Simpson Race Products...
That is where my confusion comes in...
Did someone at SRP tell you that Impact will refund??
Or that SRP would refund their own Simpson helmet if you were to purchase a helmet from THEM that did not fit?? As long as it was not a special order... I cannot see a reason why either company would have an issue returning your money... I know some distibutors have stopped carrying driving shoes because of the ship them out and they didn't fit deal, ended up costing them way to much time and shipping costs... Hope you understand what I am trying to explain...

O.K. this is what is confusing me... Re-read your post... You say Simpson did say THE will refund...
Do you mean HE or THEY?? That is what is throwing me...

Excuse the thread hijack, but Ray, do you need to revisit the managerial personnel manual, 3.2a-5 about alcohol consumption on company property? Just checkin' back to the thread.

Excuse the thread hijack, but Ray, do you need to revisit the managerial personnel manual, 3.2a-5 about alcohol consumption on company property? Just checkin' back to the thread.
Terry, I am as clean and sober as a babies diaper... :D I guess I just got a little confused is all... ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back