Force "Hybrid" head and neck protection (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Got a quick glimpse of this on Ashley and Robert. Very large carbon fiber structure with (I think) more than one connection to helmet on each side.
Did anyone Tivo the show? It would be interesting to see a still shot.

And . . . Thought everyone on the Force team handled themselves very as the heartbreak continues. As Robert said "This just isn't right" -:(

I saw the large safety device, kinda like a HANS...looks like it supports the whole back and not just the neck.

I saw the large safety device, kinda like a HANS...looks like it supports the whole back and not just the neck.
Steven
When you are at Sac. the 19th, take a look at Jim Murphys R3 before he climbs in the car... It is not the redesigned Force model, but it has always ran down the spine and T's off at the top, it actually looks like a T... The Force model, just looks like a MUCH improved model... Maybe they will call it the R4... E4 would be even better... See you soon... :)

Steven
When you are at Sac. the 19th, take a look at Jim Murphys R3 before he climbs in the car... It is not the redesigned Force model, but it has always ran down the spine and T's off at the top, it actually looks like a T... The Force model, just looks like a MUCH improved model... Maybe they will call it the R4... E4 would be even better... See you soon... :)

Ray - the R3 I saw Force drivers wearing looked like a lower case "t" - horizontal segment at about the shoulders with a vertical element extending up toward base of the neck. The "Hybrid" appeared to be much larger than a HANS. Hopefully, we'll get a better look tomorrow.

Ray - the R3 I saw Force drivers wearing looked like a lower case "t" - horizontal segment at about the shoulders with a vertical element extending up toward base of the neck. The "Hybrid" appeared to be much larger than a HANS. Hopefully, we'll get a better look tomorrow.
Jim, you are absolutely right... It also looks like the neck area as you call it, has been made to also accept the belts much better as there is more material around the shoulders for the belts to seat themselves on... More like the way the hans works in a sense... I could not tell if they repositioned the mounting point on the new model, or added and additional set of straps... 4 instead of 2... I hope we see a better picture as well... This is something that had to be in the works for a while now... I saw everything that you describe... Good eye for such a quick shot... I'm trying to link a pic of the old R3... no luck yet... But there is a huge difference...

The standard R3 link...
Big Picture: R3 Head and Neck Restraint for use with Formula Car Seats

Last edited:
Jim, you are absolutely right... It also looks like the neck area as you call it, has been made to also accept the belts much better as there is more material around the shoulders for the belts to seat themselves on... More like the way the hans works in a sense... I could not tell if they repositioned the mounting point on the new model, or added and additional set of straps... 4 instead of 2... I hope we see a better picture as well... This is something that had to be in the works for a while now... I saw everything that you describe... Good eye for such a quick shot... I'm trying to link a pic of the old R3... no luck yet... But there is a huge difference...

An interesting thought about this being in the works for a while. Designing and producing carbon fiber units fitted to three very different drivers in less than three weeks is probably not possible. Whatever the timeframe, if this offers lateral head protection, it is probably much more significant than roll cage and padding modifications. Emailed a request to [email protected] for coverage tomorrow night. More requests might help us learn more! - Jim

Jim
Incase you missed it this morning... NHRA Raceday showed the Hybrid- I can only hope they show it again tonight, because I had just awoke and did not tape the show... I will tonight however... 2 straps in a different local is what I saw with sleepy eyes... Just a heads up for you... :)

hybred3xi3.jpg

hybred1do6.jpg

The device they are now wearing is not a modified R3. It is a Hutchens Hybrid. More info and photos at Safe Drives - Hutchens Hybrid Photos

Frederick - I'll second Ray's thank you. I sent an email to [email protected] requesting they provide more information on last night's broadcast - nothing. It's hard to tell from the Hutchens photos how the Hybrid connects to the drivers helmet - but it appearded to be (from what I could see) much more complicated than a simple clip. Thanks again - Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back