Benefits of NHRA membership (1 Viewer)

Jim, I will give you credit for asking first. I probably would have just went straight to the track and looked around and hoped no one would notice. :)

Jim, I will give you credit for asking first. I probably would have just went straight to the track and looked around and hoped no one would notice. :)

I did just that a few weeks ago at LVMS. Wanted a photo of "The Strip", so I slid right past the slightly opened gate, pulled up, and started taking pictures. Looked around and here came the security guard---I thought oh sh*t!!!! He never even looked my way---just kept driving!!!!

To clarify - I was not expecting a guided tour of the facility with no notice, just thought we would take a shot.
What irritated me was the fact that the receptionist did go back to an office where a couple of guys were sitting to ask them if it was possible. A person walking into the office and announcing he was an NHRA member obviously meant nothing to her. If she communicated this to these guys and they didn't bother to get up and explain policy, it indicated that membership means nothing. I left without pushing the issue.
Was I overly sensitive to being treated this way? Probably.
Just frustrated that fees continue to rise as benefits decrease.

If I came off as expecting too much, I apologize.

The way it sounded in the initial post was that the receptionist denied you before checking with anybody else.

I don't think being a card carrying member entitles you to unlisted benefits or entitles you to walk on to property and then stamp your feet like a spoiled child when you don't get your way.

If you aren't getting the value in the membership, drop the membership. Due to time constraints, I rarely get to read the issue on time but still peruse the classified ads in case there is a super stocker or stocker that I just gotta have. ;)

There is other values for me that have potential to come in to fruition but if they don't, they dont.

National Dragster doesn't serve the same purpose as it did years ago, but I think Phil Burgess and the team have done a great job re-inventing ND. I mean, if it works out to $1.50 or whatever per issue, it's worth it now. Of course between TV and especially the internet, we don't need ND for results. But it has become more of a weekly magazine. It's in color, has lots of cool featurs on racers and cars, interviews, a fantastic nostalgia section, and so on. I probably sound like Phil's paying me but the reality is he's done a great job and I think it deserves a look from those of us who let it go.

Well said.
I agree completely and will say no more because you have said it all.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

I once took a tour of the old Yankee Stadium that included going into the lockerroom and on the field. Of course it was a paid guided tour, but nonetheless a special treat for a baseball fan.

Really, what damage can someone do by seeing the track and the facilities. Oh thats right, we live in an era that insuracnce companie would have a ****fit if they knew this was going on.

Please, it is only $69 per year. I usually go to 4 races a year, so the $10 off admission coupon almost covers the initial cost. For me, having the ability to listen to the audiocast is worth the price of membership. I never have a problem getting my National Dragster on time and I read it daily when time permits.

Re: Maybe it's just me but.......

And the choir said…Amen!

Ditto.
Can't believe anyone would assume being a member meant you could see any raceway park at any time upon request.

I do agree the ND is late news, expensive, blah, blah, blah.
But, when we go to a race, we have been given rental car and hotel discounts because of the membership. Whether or not it equals the cost of the membership I have no idea. It may just be even. My husband doesn't do much on the internet and he reads it cover to cover each week. I don't but he does. So, for some people it is worth the cost.

I did just that a few weeks ago at LVMS. Wanted a photo of "The Strip", so I slid right past the slightly opened gate, pulled up, and started taking pictures. Looked around and here came the security guard---I thought oh sh*t!!!! He never even looked my way---just kept driving!!!!

I have the OP's opposite problem. I got locked INSIDE LVMS.
rofl.gif

Hey Martin Thomas, this ^ post just reminded me of that time we went to the speedway at Fontana! Do you still have those pics? I totally forgot to about them!! Would like to have that one you got of me on the racing surface.

Funny... ND has gotten so much better, I'm thinking of picking my subscription back up, even though I can read my father's for free. NHRA is one of the few organizations out there that has a far better print publication than an on line one. I don't really think, given this day and age, that that's all that good of a thing, though.

Out of the 29 comments concerning this post 12 mentioned letting their subscription go. NHRA wont miss you.

Out of the 29 comments concerning this post 12 mentioned letting their subscription go. NHRA wont miss you.

Make it 13. I love comments like this. We aren't "true fans", NHRA won't miss you, etc. Eventually, looking at the stands and the ratings, the NHRA indeed will miss us if things don't better. Of the seventy or so events I have attended in my lifetime, I've brought many first timers to the track. I would be willing to bet that many others who have opted out have done the same. I only hope that the NHRA does something to lure us back...I know, it's a dream. My letter goes out Monday with my renewal slip.

14 here myself

So add in the amount for ND, and the easy $1k+ I spent a year going to the races. That does not include my brother, his wife, and 2 kids, and the multiple races they would go to each year.

#15 here there smart one. And I would like to have my voting rights back too there Bullwinkle.

After 30 years of membership and no one chased me or cared if I left. Hell with em. If we go back out I may re up for the great insurance (cough cough) otherwise I'll keep the cash. Readers Digest and TV guide care more if you quit em than NHRA.

And now they send DVD's unsolicited to me and I have to send it back to cancel a membership to some stupid DVD club they started? Like they are running a gotdamnned used car dealership or a boiler room business out there.

Like I said many times let me drive that bus called NHRA for 1/2 of what the current prez is making and give me a 5% rake bonus on increase. It ain't that hard it is just a business called drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back