Be on the lookout! Someone stealing NHRA photos online and selling them on ebay! (1 Viewer)

Joe,

Unless the background has been dropped out, it's usually not too hard to ID images and ebay has never questioned any of our claims.

I neglected to say in my first message that the first step should be to contact the seller and request that he remove them immediately. More often than not, that works and negates the need to go through ebay.

I did on some. He cropped it off. I don't want to put a big one across the picture.
. People can use them as backgrounds, etc. I guess if I do that, I shouldn't be surprised that someone steals them.

He just wants MORE people to have them then you do. Soon he wont have to steal from you because he will have all the money to buy a nicer camera and get the pics himself and you will still be giving them away<g>

Report it to Ebay and they will pull the ones you prove are yours. You can register your pics (as many as you want at once) for about $35. You want to make real money catch the dude after you have them copyrighted... Lawyers will be your new best friend.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fee Adjustments: 2007

Bob

That would probably be a complete waste of time and money. First of all, you don't know how deep his pockets are, assuming he has anything at all. Secondly, under existing copyright laws, unless each image has been registered with the copyright office, you can only sue for actual damages, not punitive.
Wow, I didn't know you had to register the images to get the full protection under the law.

Report it to Ebay and they will pull the ones you prove are yours. You can register your pics (as many as you want at once) for about $35. You want to make real money catch the dude after you have them copyrighted... Lawyers will be your new best friend.

U.S. Copyright Office - Fee Adjustments: 2007

Bob
It sounds like that would be $35 well spent.

In a case like this I would not mind spending a few bucks and some time making life worse for this guy. Even if you never collect a judgment, at least you can get it on his credit. You never know, he may live in a wage garnishment state and you may be able to get it a little at a time. For me the point is not making a profit, it's sticking it to the jerk who's profiting from stealing someone else's work.

In a case like this I would not mind spending a few bucks and some time making life worse for this guy. Even if you never collect a judgment, at least you can get it on his credit. You never know, he may live in a wage garnishment state and you may be able to get it a little at a time. For me the point is not making a profit, it's sticking it to the jerk who's profiting from stealing someone else's work.

If the guy's that crooked, assuming he is a guy, I doubt he has an actual job to garnish wages from. I'm sure he's already living off of all of us in many ways.

Since I am also an eBay powerseller, I checked out what this guy was selling just out of curiosity. I dont see how he is making enough money to even screw with it on most of what he is selling. Selling pictures for 99 cents? I know he gets like 5 bucks shipping, but give me a break--it aint worth the hassle. I checked his feedback and some of them bring 3 or 4 bucks, but by the time you list it, sell and ship it, pay postage, pay feebay and paypal, it does not look worth it to me. I agree--he should not take somebody elses work and sell it for any price, but it just does not look too profitable to me.

Mike Walker's reply brings me back to my original message....there's no point in getting lawyers involved. Ask the guy to remove them, and if he won't, get ebay to do it.

Mike Walker's reply brings me back to my original message....there's no point in getting lawyers involved. Ask the guy to remove them, and if he won't, get ebay to do it.

Or go after him yourself. Axe handles to the knee caps is usually the best place to start :D

T

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back