Bartone? (2 Viewers)

You are right Brent, you did not mention HDP. I should have looked back in the thread, I thought you were the one throwing HDP under the bus and then changing tack to blame the countdown. Sorry Bout that. :eek:

However, the crowds at LVMS this past weekend suggest (at least to some degree) that the Countdown is working. I have been to every national event save for 1 at LVMS, and there has ALWAYS been reserved ticket upgrades available (not this past weekend) and there has always been plenty of room at the fence on either side of the track in GA (not this past weekend). We were 3 or 4 deep all day at the fence.

Could NHRA do more? Absolutely.

Is it is as bad as everyone in this thread is making it out to be? Absolutely Not.

Besides, this is the first year for the countdown and it is not yet completed, the data not yet compiled. Just because NHRA announced they were going to have a countdown does not mean sponsors are suddenly going to start throwing cash at teams. They want to see how it plays out too.

I don't know what you guys were expecting, but it sure as heck ain't gonna happen overnight.

There were FORTY EIGHT fuel cars at Vegas this past weekend, or as Chad Johnson would say Quatro Ocho. Any way you slice it, that is VERY healthy. Even though some of them may be going away for next year, more are already gearing up to take their place.

Excellent post Chris. Right on the money.

Buisnesses do not knee jerk (at least not smart ones).......and public perception is just that.......perception.

Perception, not fact

Time will indeed......tell.

REX

Not to throw Jim Dunn under the bus but why would Densham need him. Gary makes the show more often than not with Greg Amaral calling the shots while Dunn and Bartone have had quite a few Sundays off this season.
On the subject of the NHRA buyout it will take at least one season under the new deal before we see any real changes in deals, exposure etc. Likewise with the countdown (like it or not) it will take a while for the effects are known and/or quantified. For now everyone just need to hope that Evan Knoll continues to enjoy success in his business and also continue to enjoy drag racing because without him we are screwed.

Roo

You all blame the countdown, blame the NHRA, blame this, blame that. Sadly drag racing is not the big league sport we all would like to believe it is. Some of these people will never be back, That's sad, but get used to it. I hope all the teams and drivers mentioned can get a gig, but of the bunch I'd say Angelle might have the best chance, and even that is iffy. I hate it just like you do.

You are right Brent, you did not mention HDP. I should have looked back in the thread, I thought you were the one throwing HDP under the bus and then changing tack to blame the countdown. Sorry Bout that. :eek:

However, the crowds at LVMS this past weekend suggest (at least to some degree) that the Countdown is working. I have been to every national event save for 1 at LVMS, and there has ALWAYS been reserved ticket upgrades available (not this past weekend) and there has always been plenty of room at the fence on either side of the track in GA (not this past weekend). We were 3 or 4 deep all day at the fence.

Could NHRA do more? Absolutely.

Is it is as bad as everyone in this thread is making it out to be? Absolutely Not.

Besides, this is the first year for the countdown and it is not yet completed, the data not yet compiled. Just because NHRA announced they were going to have a countdown does not mean sponsors are suddenly going to start throwing cash at teams. They want to see how it plays out too.

I don't know what you guys were expecting, but it sure as heck ain't gonna happen overnight.

There were FORTY EIGHT fuel cars at Vegas this past weekend, or as Chad Johnson would say Quatro Ocho. Any way you slice it, that is VERY healthy. Even though some of them may be going away for next year, more are already gearing up to take their place.

Great post Chris and I could not agree more. People are looking for reasons why to shoot down the Countdown, but there are just not enough facts. Every car that is lost next year will more then likely be made up with new teams. I can think of 3 new cars coming up next year, so by my math it is a wash.

........I feel some fault is with the sponsors that are dropping cars and waited till the last minute to tell them.

This is true.....especially since most of the bigger companies, that could actually be a primary sponsor of a race team, line out their marketing budget (ie sponsorship money) about a year in advance. That means the majority of the sponsor deals for '08 were being planted in early '07.

I started this thread because I read about Bartone kind of in passing, has anyone heard anything official about Dunn's plans? We all hate to see any drivers or teams parked, but even in the best of times, deals come and go and things are cyclical. 48 fuel cars at Vegas is huge. There will always be more people looking for a ride than there are rides available. Hell, I'd like a Fuel ride! Not everyone that is climbing the ranks from Karts to Formula Vees or whatever is going to get an Indy car ride or get a shot at Formula One. I don't think the sky is falling, Yates has a full-time non-automotive sponsor, NAPA is stepping up, as is Geico, but the floodgates haven't opened yet. We need to give HD Partners a chance, the deal didn't even close yet. And we have Bruton, he's going to be building a new kick-arse track. If we can slow down the cost increases and continue to bring in new sponsors every year, we'll continue to have healthy pro shows (though the players will change from time to time!)

I don't think driving a nitro car is an entitlement first of all. Just because you've driven one for years, and you may be somewhat popular, doesn't mean you'll be guaranteed that spot until you decide to retire. So I think the system the way it stands now is acceptable. No one driver is more deserving than the other just because they were blessed with the opportunity first. It's been this way for the last 20 years or so, you lose some drivers (TJ, Arend, Bartone, etc. etc.) and you gain some drivers (Tasca, Harris, Neff, etc.). It's just a "circle of life" kinda thing.

You all blame the countdown, blame the NHRA, blame this, blame that. Sadly drag racing is not the big league sport we all would like to believe it is. Some of these people will never be back, That's sad, but get used to it. I hope all the teams and drivers mentioned can get a gig, but of the bunch I'd say Angelle might have the best chance, and even that is iffy. I hate it just like you do.

If we don't get more YOUNG PEOPLE exposed to and involved in our sport, it won't continue for very long. The sport can't survive (like Harley Davidson) on nostalgia alone. We have an ageing demographic which has some money to spend now but how much longer without new blood at the spectator, participant and sponsor level.

Hey fellow fogies, Get your grandkids involved!

If we don't get more YOUNG PEOPLE exposed to and involved in our sport, it won't continue for very long. The sport can't survive (like Harley Davidson) on nostalgia alone. We have an ageing demographic which has some money to spend now but how much longer without new blood at the spectator, participant and sponsor level.

You're right Jim, and I take my grandson whenever I can. That said, when I go to the drags I'm surrounded by people younger than I. I guess what that means is, I'm older than dirt, or you're wrong. I see lots of kids there, of all ages. But the prices...my own kids can't afford to take their kids to a national event. NHRA might want to think about that, but I'd guess they are too greedy.

First it is HDPs fault, now it is NHRA's fault for creating the Countdown? Gotta pick one argument and stick with it Brent.

NONE of this is HDPs fault until they scratch out the check and take over the program.

Despite what any of you say, there are still more funded cars out there now than there were 5 years ago in both fuel classes, even with a few cars getting parked.

I don't agree necessarily with the Countdown as it is configured now, nor do I agree with everything NHRA does, but I am certainly not going to agree with the Chicken Littles on this board that think the sky is falling, especially with the crowd I was part of Sunday at LVMS. Cheese and crackers HDP hasn't done anything yet and you guys are ready to nail them to the cross. At least let them buy NHRA and make a couple of moves before throwing them under the bus. Like my granpa used to say, there are no easy fixes, just fixes.

Chris, I agree with you. After standing trackside on Sunday with you and looking at the MASS of people in the reserved grandstand, the countdown may not be responsible for the sellout, but one can't rule it out entirely.

of But the prices...my own kids can't afford to take their kids to a national event. NHRA might want to think about that, but I'd guess they are too greedy.

In a day when kids think nothing of paying $10. to see some crummy movie, I don't think a national event is overpriced.
Like they say, "We have entertainment choices" besides how many national events can ANYBODY attend?

In a day when kids think nothing of paying $10. to see some crummy movie, I don't think a national event is overpriced.
Like they say, "We have entertainment choices" besides how many national events can ANYBODY attend?

Depends on the Kids... mine only go to the theater on comp tickets... and they see a flic or two a week... last one I saw with them was Transformers... several days before it was released...

Richmond for a Buck Thirty for three days was fair, but it's driving distance, so no overnight hotel... have a place to crash for Charlotte next year, so that too will be tickets and gas only...

but... I was able to go to 3 or 4 fuel shows a month on paper route money when I was a kid... less than the cost of three gallons of gas today for a day of nitro... less than 20 for two days... went to OCIR's MFG meet from 69 to 72, all days for less than I paid for Richmond, and saw over 60 cars each time trying to make 1 of 4 eight car teams... we're talking 3 rounds of 32 cars...

and to be honest, I don't think the show is as good at National Events as at open shows, and Believe me, I've went to enough of both in the last 40 years.

d'kid

Not to throw Jim Dunn under the bus but why would Densham need him. Gary makes the show more often than not with Greg Amaral calling the shots while Dunn and Bartone have had quite a few Sundays off this season.

I didn't mean to imply that Teach needed Big Jim, I just think it would be cool if those 2 old dudes hooked up next season and went racing. I think they may be able to make some noise. Just wishful thinking on my part ...

I know, I was just goofing on a Big Jim/Gary Densham team up:D
Fireman's Quickie
Teacher's Pet
Anyone remember the Assassination AA/FC?

S/F
D

yup...I remember it...the Assassination and the Fireman's Quickie were two of my favorites when I was hanging around OCIR ;)

Hey Paul, it looks like the website is under reconstruction, still haven't heard anything official about race palns for '08.

I don't know about anybody else but my 10 year old son is into NHRA as much as any adult I know. He can tell you about every recent Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle team. He keeps up with all the stats and he checks the qualifying results before I get a chance. He loves to watch Sportsman, IHRA and even FIA bike drags when they are on.

Of course he is the same way about NASCAR and even Tractor Pulling. I think it is in our families blood.

I don't know about anybody else but my 10 year old son is into NHRA as much as any adult I know. He can tell you about every recent Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle team. He keeps up with all the stats and he checks the qualifying results before I get a chance. He loves to watch Sportsman, IHRA and even FIA bike drags when they are on.

Of course he is the same way about NASCAR and even Tractor Pulling. I think it is in our families blood.
That's a cool kid you've got Jed!:D I grew up the same way, ate up with that stuff!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back