Bandimere Div 5 pics (1 Viewer)

Great. Thanks. Sorry I couldn't make it out there. It was pretty hot all weekend. Were the alcohol cars able to get down the track pretty good? Next month the smell of burnt nitromethane returns to the rocky mountains! :):)

The Funny cars were able to run high 90's. The dragsters were running in the 60's with Putz having low et at 5.60. Yeah it was a little on the hot side Sunday, but it is much better than having rain.

Nice pics there Chili! How were the crowds? I remember about 3-4 years ago they had a ticket promotion that got like 10,000 for this race.

Nice pics there Chili! How were the crowds? I remember about 3-4 years ago they had a ticket promotion that got like 10,000 for this race.

Crowds looked good.

0617071335a.jpg

This was just before third or forth round SG.

I'll post my pics from the rebel later

Thanks for the pictures, Chris.
The crowd was large - not "elbow to elbow and cheek by jowl" - but large.
The Bandimeres know how to promote. If something doesn't work; they try something else. Of course, it's a private business. They have to succeed to pay their employees, keep the place open, prepare for the future, and pay their taxes!
I do wish that the Alcohol classes were run on schedule. An effort was made to end with a big bang by running all the finals serially. The delay seemed interminable to many. Unfortunately, much of the crowd which would have benefited from all the "thunder" had long since exhausted their patience and had left the Speedway before the final round.
The Williams brothers are gods - or, if not gods, really good racers.
Cheers,
Ed

I wish they would of run the Alky cars a little earlier but I didn't mind waiting around. Grease Monkey sponsors the event and they give away free tickets with an oil change. Even though the attendance is strong, they actual paying crowd is pretty small. However they charge $5 for parking and plus they make a lot in food and drink. It is really a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Chris, I've always felt that giving away a lot of cheap or free tickets is a smart way to fill the stands, especially at a non-national event. Once they're there, there going to buy food, drinks, and the racer's PR stuff (hats, shirts, etc.). And, some will get hooked and come back.

I agree, that family definatley knows how to play the game. They run a great operation up here. I'm sure they're very attune to the fact that they own - and host the only "major" motorsports venue located inside a rough imaginary circle from Vegas to Phoenix to Topeka to Billings. That's why I was surprised that HPT didn't charge for parking at the Nationals like Bandimere does every week.

Topeka may be free to park but they used to not let you bring anything in to eat or drink. I haven't been there since 02' so it may have changed. Bandimere lets you bring in a six pack size cooler per person. For what I spend in parking I easily make up for it by bringing in a sandwhich and a couple of soda's.

I've only been to Denver once since they dumped the Alky guys, besides sitting in 100 degrees gets old as S**t!

Last edited:
I remember back around 99-00 when a Microburst did come through. It destroyed Bruce Bowler's awning(sp?) About 60 MPH winds for like a minute than nothing!:eek:

The heat doesn't bother me. The cold does. I would rather sit out and watch the races in 100 degree weather than 40 degree weather. Bandimere used to have a 2nd division race that they held in September. I remember standing in the staging lanes waiting for the finals to run so I could go to the car and warm up. It actually started to snow.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back