Aussie Drag Photos from Perth (1 Viewer)

GREAT PICS & VIDEOS, thank you!!

Great to see the Strangler still going....this is actually a 1989 Olds Cutlass (former Karp/Hughes/Sweet Mountain Dew car), that Bob Sweet took over driving in '91 and sold the end of '95. Sad story about Sweet...he was a contender with this car in 93-94 but just couldn't get over the hump. To get to the next level he bought Randy Anderson's complete TAFC championship car in '95 to run for title. Anderson gave tuning consultation...first race of the year, he was seriously injured in a crash and hung up the gloves.

1608654100960.png

It may interest you to know the Boston Strangler look was recreated as a wrap.
Ian Brown drove the car for the Lush Bros in Australia, but it was later repainted in sponsor colors. The car was sold and went through some different hands and then Ian bought the car a couple of years ago and turned back the clock.
His daughter Madison, who was quite good in Juniors, will drive it soon.

GREAT PICS & VIDEOS, thank you!!

Great to see the Strangler still going....this is actually a 1989 Olds Cutlass (former Karp/Hughes/Sweet Mountain Dew car), that Bob Sweet took over driving in '91 and sold the end of '95. Sad story about Sweet...he was a contender with this car in 93-94 but just couldn't get over the hump. To get to the next level he bought Randy Anderson's complete TAFC championship car in '95 to run for title. Anderson gave tuning consultation...first race of the year, he was seriously injured in a crash and hung up the gloves.

View attachment 7133
Bob Sweet certainly had a clean, first class operation. Bill Dempsey tuning, a former Force cab-over & trailer. After the accident, Linda wasn't so keen on Bob driving again.

Bob Sweet certainly had a clean, first class operation. Bill Dempsey tuning, a former Force cab-over & trailer. After the accident, Linda wasn't so keen on Bob driving again.
definitely a first class operation! but the rig was Bernsteins, sold to Skuza when he started running NHRA in 1993

definitely a first class operation! but the rig was Bernsteins, sold to Skuza when he started running NHRA in 1993
Yep that was quite the talk back then, the local guy going "big leagues". Don't get me wrong in the north east we always had Newberry and Manzo but this was the start of the "pro sportsman" with the big rigs and polished operations.

That car probably ranks in the top 3 of my favorite all time drag racing cars. That new wrap just doesn't do the paint job justice.

I was thinking you could "blame" Billy Meyer for having the first big rig in Pro ranks. But then I saw photos from the late 1950's & there was a team with a big rig. they just had a regular trailer, not like today,. but maybe they were the first. It is a practical idea, like a rolling machine shop.

I was thinking you could "blame" Billy Meyer for having the first big rig in Pro ranks. But then I saw photos from the late 1950's & there was a team with a big rig. they just had a regular trailer, not like today,. but maybe they were the first. It is a practical idea, like a rolling machine shop.
I believe it was John Bradamer at Great Bend Kansas in 1955 forgive the spelling

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back