At least they didn't get it completely wrong... (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Story on the 10 O'Clock news last night...

http://www.kgun9.com/global/video/p...Format=flv&clipId1=3175926&at1=News&h1=Street racing is alive and well in Tucson... and just as dangerous as ever.

The desk reporters and the feature guy DID check themselves up about calling it "drag racing" most of the time- that was a small blessing..

What gets me is that no matter how far away you are in Tucson, you are no further than 30 minutes away from one of the best tracks in the Southwest... I can list a dozen reasons why these nitwits still run em on the sreet, but there's not one valid one other than the track just doesn't have the same consistant schedule, one that applies to this group of kids..

At our local track here in Abq, they've had Friday night Drags for at least 10 years! $10 and make as many runs as you like, street car or racecar doesn't matter. It helps but a lot of Street racers don't bother because it's 15 miles out of the way and they can't Drink (Hello??). I think Street racing will never go away.

One of the biggest problems with Friday night drags are they get too packed. Last time I went to SIR, I drove down from Phoenix with my car and spent most of the night in the lanes and only made 2 passes because of the oil downs and to many people where there. Another part of the street racing they don't talk about is the gambling, there are people out there making thousands of dollars a weekend doing this.

The cops need to put together a small task force of just a few cops that do nothing but chase these people on the weekends. They also need to enact the same racing = crushed car laws that other states have enacted. I hate to see cars get crushed, but if it sends the message that they need to stop, so be it.

Just my pennies worth.

Yeah, SIR does groom a bit to excess...:rolleyes: But its the issue of some of these cars not being as mechanically sound as their builder thinks it is, and lots of them vomit. Usually down the middle of the lane :(.

I've never felt unsafe going down or sending my kid down after a clean-up... Its always worth the extra minutes to get it right. But when you see the kids in the story, you realize that the idea of what would happen if the bottom end puked never enters their minds. I personally would rather deal with smackin the concrete than a high-speed dip and roll through a ditch and the cactus..

If these guys would police themselves to at least make sure that their buddy isn't running a leaker down the track, I'm sure the lanes would move along much quicker...

Sometimes less traction is better, at least in Street racers case. Less traction means less breakage! Showing up at a Prepped track as you say put a lot more load on a drivetrain, thus exposing weak links.

Sometimes less traction is better, at least in Street racers case. Less traction means less breakage! Showing up at a Prepped track as you say put a lot more load on a drivetrain, thus exposing weak links.

SIR has Midnight Madness and Street Car races where they don't spray, but the normal TnT's have everything from ProMods to streeters, and the track is obviously prepped for the faster cars. For the amount of money that the kids invest in a stainless steel megaphone or a PS3 in th dashboard, you would think they'd want to make sure the rods would stay in the block..:rolleyes:

Custom guys didn't build a lot of drag cars for the same reason... Hard to make GO when you spent all the cash on SHOW...

The cops need to put together a small task force of just a few cops that do nothing but chase these people on the weekends.
They did.
Here is an undercover photo

fast-furious.jpg

I can't reveal which one is the undercover cop. :p LOL

Seriously tho, the kids in the vid are dumbsh!ts.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back