Arley Langlo (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
There is a picture on DRC from Firebird showing Arley's new T/F car. Isn't he the guy that had a monstrous fireball on the starting line a few years back(not sure of the track, Pomona I think)? Either way, it's nice to see a privateer out with a new ride in T/F, as that's becoming pretty rare.

There is a picture on DRC from Firebird showing Arley's new T/F car. Isn't he the guy that had a monstrous fireball on the starting line a few years back(not sure of the track, Pomona I think)? Either way, it's nice to see a privateer out with a new ride in T/F, as that's becoming pretty rare.

When I was a kid watching him all around So Cal our joke was that we would see him on fire at least once before the weekend was over.

How very cool that he is still out there!!

Jr
I think you are correct about that starting line BOOM!!
Arley drove the ZIP CODE car for years out here on the W/C... It is very cool to see him back with a newer car... I hope he makes some good runs and wish him the best...

Its good to see Arley and Jay out there. They have fun and most of their parts are made by Jay. Arley and Jay like to call the other teams cars 'store shelf bought' cars as they like to experiment and be different.

Thats the same car they have been running for years. Did they make any hits and also I saw a picture of Gene Davis standing by a car, is that his and did he make a run?

Isn't he the guy that had a monstrous fireball on the starting line a few years back(not sure of the track, Pomona I think)?
I don't remember him blowing up huge off the line but I'll never forget Doug Herbert's mini-nuclear explosion!

The huge explosion your thinking of was Birky's Bunch. Not sure who was driving but I'm sure that is was Pomona.

The huge explosion your thinking of was Birky's Bunch. Not sure who was driving but I'm sure that is was Pomona.
Bobby Neal was driving when it went BOOM!!
I have the poster of it sitting on the floor right here...
I've been working with them the last few years on Arnolds N/TF car... I'd tell ya what caused that, but you know the rest of that story... It is very funny to hear Arnold talk about the conversation he and Bobby had before the next run...:D It went something like, if you'll start it, I'll drive it... It was a NUKE... Trust me... Herbert takes the prize though...

My avatar is an Arnold Birky creation ... lol
Mark Malde doing the driving.
On the next run they wanted to put a hot dog in Mark's mouth...:D These guys are a riot!

Last edited:
Gene Davis made a burnout but by the time the car got back to the line it was puking raw fuel so he shut the car off. Langlo started the car once but did not make a run.

I witnessed the Birky Bunch explosion. It was the Pomona finals in 1987 if I remember correctly. It was a big boomer. Sent Buster scrambling for cover!

Arley ran Buster out of the starter's box once at Firebird - the only time I ever saw that happen, by the way - when he staged the car, the top of the engine was suddenly covered with flaming nitromethane. It was a single, so Buster started him like a jet - moving to the other lane until he hit the switch, then running for cover.

I cannot believe NHRA allows racers like Arley Langlo to actually compete! I can't remember the last time I saw him get down the track without an explosion or a 20 minute Oildown.

I remember after the Birky explosion someone had the photo made into a poster with the words S#!T HAPPENS.

Richard - about the right time frame, but Buster stood his ground on the one in the picture - probably because there was a car in the other lane. From the amount of "stuff" atop the engine, the fireball wasn't the first sign of a problem.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back