Anyone a Pilot? (1 Viewer)

Smiley

Nitro Member
I went for a "Discovery Flight" yesterday, and I must say I am hooked. My flight was in an '06 Cessna 172 with the G1000 instruments.

The CFI was great, explained everything that was going on, and after we reached 2,000ft, he handed me the plane for about 35 minutes. He led me through several turns, climbs, descents, setup for landing (at 3,000 ft just to demonstrate the procedure). Then he took over to land it.

It was fairly windy and a bit bumpy, but for some odd reason I felt safer/more comfortable in the seat of that little plane, than I am in the back of a 737..

DSCN0384.jpg

Time to start saving for the Flight School Fund.. :)

I went for a "Discovery Flight" yesterday, and I must say I am hooked. My flight was in an '06 Cessna 172 with the G1000 instruments.

The CFI was great, explained everything that was going on, and after we reached 2,000ft, he handed me the plane for about 35 minutes. He led me through several turns, climbs, descents, setup for landing (at 3,000 ft just to demonstrate the procedure). Then he took over to land it.

It was fairly windy and a bit bumpy, but for some odd reason I felt safer/more comfortable in the seat of that little plane, than I am in the back of a 737..

DSCN0384.jpg

Time to start saving for the Flight School Fund..

I took sailplane lessons in the mid eighties.

Never took any tests or soloed, but my instructor said I had a "good feel" for currents and such stuff.

he insisted that if every pilot started with lessons in unpowered flight first, and became proficient, there would be many less crashes when aircraft lost power.

i flew a tandem seat german "Grob".

Was a blast........

you just got me thinkin' again............

Just have to get the wife to go along............:eek::(;)

REX

I took lessons when I was 21 in Pipers. I had a BLAST. They were so much fun, but after a while I figured the a dyslexic pilot wasn't a good idea since whenever I was trying to radio for clearances and stuff, I'd screw the numbers up really bad under pressure.

I still have the pilots kit with all the manuals too. Maybe one day I'll get back to it.

Enjoy more lessons. You'll have a blast and you can actually time share small aircraft for reasonable rates.

Very cool. For whatever reason, in my 13 years (and counting) tenure of working in aviation, I've never wanted to be one of the ones upfront, flying these things - and still don't, and never will. I have done a couple right-seat rides in a few planes, a KingAir, a Heli and a couple jets, and inflight cockpit enteries on a commercial airliner.

I did all of my private pilot instruction thru an individual instructor instead of going to a "school". I paid for the aircraft separately from him and it kept the cost way down as well. It was WAY cheaper to do so and I had a greater time doing so. I did all my instruction in a Cessna 152 Aerobat and also got my tailwheel certificate in a clipped wing Piper cub! After all the aircraft I have flown I still think the cub is still the most fun of all!
Stay with it Chris! Just a heads up...when you get ready to solo wear a shirt you dont mind getting "cut up"! Ask your instructor if you dont know what that means!:cool:

I still have that shirt that got cut up. Started out training in a 152 aerobat as well. Too cramped, so started training in a 172 that I ended up taking my check ride in. Got my complex rating in a Mooney M-20c. Not enough horsepower to get high performance. Ended up flying it to Oshkosh for the big fly in. What a trip that is. Landing two at a time. One on the numbers and the other sets it down at the VOR. Guy was standing on a scissor lift with a hand held radio giving instruction. They took our down wind way out over Lake Winnebago before turning base to final. I don't think we could of made it to dry land if we had a engine failure ...LOL

Flying is kind of like nitro. Once it hooks ya, it never lets go. You'll never be the same.

FYI, get ready to spend LOTS of money, if you proceed.

Not much difference between the 150/152 & 172 'cept a bit more weight & hp. Save some dough and do the training in a 152. Once you get your ticket, then go to the 172.

And if you don't go the flight school route, don't be afraid to shop around for CFI's, or to change, if your not truly comfortable with who you might have chosen originally. Might cost you an hour or two, but it's well worth it in the long run.

Been there, done that...

Best of luck Brian, and safe flying!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back