Any reason for this rediculous HOA rule? (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
There is a town near me called Weston that has one of dumbest HOA (Homeowners Association) rules ever: You can't have a pickup truck with an open bed in your own driveway, it has to be garaged. This has always baffled me, if you're paying upwards of $600K for a house you should be able to park whatever you freakin' want in your own driveway.

Why would such an idiotic rule exist?

NOTE: This town is also notorious for the residents looking at you as if you're a piece of trash if you don't drive an expensive German-made car, so I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

If they knew what my BIL paid for his 3/4 ton V10 Ford.........:eek:

well, mebbe they wouldn't act so uppity!

HOA rules exist to maintain standards in the neighborhood with the ultimate goal of preserving property values. The problem is that some people who serve on HOA boards get a large head and abuse their power by creating ridiculous rules.

When you buy a home that is part of a HOA, you must review and sign off on the CC&R's which means that you agree to abide by all the rules that exist at the time of purchase as well as future rules that are added by the board. If you want to have any rules changed or deleted, the best way is to run for the board and push your fellow board members to change the rules.

I'm surprised that HOA's down here don't REQUIRE a pick up truck with an open bed in your driveway! ;)

I'm surprised that HOA's down here don't REQUIRE a pick up truck with an open bed in your driveway! ;)

Aint that the truth! Thats one good thing about my new house, no HOA! And the neighborhood is still kept nice and clean. Some places we looked had HOA fee's of up to $1k a year.

There is a town near me called Weston that has one of dumbest HOA (Homeowners Association) rules ever: You can't have a pickup truck with an open bed in your own driveway, it has to be garaged. This has always baffled me, if you're paying upwards of $600K for a house you should be able to park whatever you freakin' want in your own driveway.

Funny you should mention HOA rules. Our HOA got on my case about our 30' trailer for our S/C car when I had it in the drive to work on (the trailer). Got complaints about "the big trailer" in the drive, only supposed to be there for at most 72 hours. Yadda yadda. So I moved the trailer. And took to checking the throttle stop on the 800hp big block every so often :)

Sam you answered your own question.
"residents looking at you as if you're a piece of trash if you don't drive an expensive German-made car,"
I live in an HOA here in the Phoenix area, If you buy new a HOA is very hard to avoid. So far no problems YET.

Sam,That's EXACTLY why I enjoy living in the rural areas,if I want to stop mowing the lawn to relive myself I can, & do much to my wifes dismay. A friend of mine who lives in an area with hoa rules & is Hawaiian, was out doing his yard work one day & one of his neighbors stopped & asked what yard service he worked for! He said he looked at this lady & just said "my wife"

HOA rules exist to maintain standards in the neighborhood with the ultimate goal of preserving property values. The problem is that some people who serve on HOA boards get a large head and abuse their power by creating ridiculous rules.

When you buy a home that is part of a HOA, you must review and sign off on the CC&R's which means that you agree to abide by all the rules that exist at the time of purchase as well as future rules that are added by the board. If you want to have any rules changed or deleted, the best way is to run for the board and push your fellow board members to change the rules.

For those who still don't get it, re-read Mike's post above.

My neighborhoods have all been HOA governed for the past 30 years and our appreciation, resale, and overall conditions are "top shelf." Now, the board can get out of hand with their authority and it's very hard to break this syndrome. The way I've insured our neighborhoods don't get punitive and overbearing is to run for the board myself and fight against unrighteous dominion. It's the board's responsibility to serve the needs of their neighbors and not have them served over petty things. When problems do exist, we knock on the door and speak to them as friends rather than sending certified mail with mandates to "fix them-or else." Picture the scenario where someone's trash container is left out until very late on trash day. This isn't a problem awaiting a fine - this is a distress signal where neighbors might help out. Is this man/woman visiting their spouse in the hospital after work? Do we need to be bringing in dinners? Could someone be helping with the kids? That's the board's job. Not sending out nasty-grams.
Now, it's not so hard to get the board to think this way, I know, I've been the president of every neighborhood I've lived in for the past 25 years. We will not send out certified mail on my watch. We treat them like we'd like to be treated.

Never lived in a HOA, never will. The house I live in now is the 1st one I've owned that has city water.

Never lived in a HOA, never will. The house I live in now is the 1st one I've owned that has city water.

10-4! I don't care to know my neighbor's business and don't want them knowing mine. That doesn't make me an insensitive boor, just someone who prefers to live their own life. ;)

Good thread. Mine is highly "regulated", to the point where it's absolutley assenine. Christmas lights allowed up only so many weeks before 12/25; Gotta have them down by a certain date. Watering restrictions. No portable gazeebos larger than a deck umbrella. Buy a permit to rent a bouncy house for your kids birthday party. No grass clippings on the sidewalk or street. To make matters worse, several people around me are on the HOA board. Weeds in the landscaping or lawn...... damn well better get them out of there. No advertising logos over a certain size on vehicles. Within 30 minutes of it stop snowing...... they want you out there clearing it. Thank goodness I grew up in suburban Detroit, more or less in "the country". I hate my HOA. 4th of July is when I get my revenge though.... I load my potato launcher, open my door wall, blast it (which sounds like a shotgun), then quick close the door. They don't have a clue!!!!!

10-4! I don't care to know my neighbor's business and don't want them knowing mine. That doesn't make me an insensitive boor, just someone who prefers to live their own life. ;)

I agree Cheryl. That's why my property is fully treed and you can't even see the house from the street. Those trees sure do make a nice buffer from the rest of the world.

Jack

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back