Antietam (1 Viewer)

vegasnitro

Nitro Member
I am working in Hagerstown, MD this week and spent this afternoon at Antietam National Battlefield. September 17th, 1862 was the bloodiest day in US history, over 24,000 troops died on that one day. That's more than any individual day at Gettysburg or DDay and 6 times as many soldiers that have been killed in the entire 4 year war in Iraq. Major General McClellan won the battle but was fired by President Lincoln for not chasing General Lee's Army back into Virginia. Lincoln (incorrectly) assumed that the war could be won right then with the destruction of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia but McClellan knew better. It did not stop Lincoln from firing him and for the Union's best general, the war was over. Future president William McKinley fought at Antietam as a Staff Sergeant in the Ohio volunteer army, and the survivors of his regiment erected a monument near the battlefield after he was assassinated in 1901. The Battlefield is HUGE, a little over 12 square miles. There are monuments scattered everywhere, I probably didn't see a tenth of them. Most of them were erected by survivors of the battle to honor fallen comrades, funded wholly by themselves. The land belies it's bloody history, it is very beautiful, the fall colors are in full splendor and the Antietam flows bright and clear.

Only in America:
The land McClellan used as a hospital and staging area for reinforcements is now an outlet mall.

Antietam pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Chris, the best class I ever took was in high school and it was a Civil War History class. Awesome. We learned all about the wars and generals and it was very entertaining to me. We even got to do a reenactment one weekend and had a blast. Some of the stories from that time and the way they fought are just unbelievable. Robert E. Lee is one of my hero's.

We spent a couple of days of our vacation in August at Gettysburg. It is absolutely awe inspiring to be able to drive out to the battlefield area and stand in the same spots that were such a part of the history of America. They are restoring much of the battlefield in Gettysburg, even having a car dealership moved and that section of the battlefield restored to the way it looked in 1863. It's hard to describe the feeling of standing behind the Confederate lines and look at the "Corpse of Trees" that General Pickett used as a target on the final day of battle, and then going around the field to that spot and imagine the charge coming across at you. It makes things like football, baseball, and yes, even drag racing seem small in comparison to what happened on those three days.

Murdock.

My middle name is Lee because I am descended directly from R.E. Lee (my father's middle name is also Lee, as was my grandfather and great-grandfather's, and if I ever have a son, his middle name will also be Lee). Anytime I am on the east coast and get near somewhere he commanded, I always make it a point to go and pay homage. I had many other relatives fight in the army of Northern Virginia, and I was disappointed that I could not locate a monument or memorial for those soldiers at Antietam.

I also have an album from Fredericksburg, VA on Webshots, though the battle in scope was far less widespread and far less casualties were inflicted there compared to Antietam.

Hi Chris!

I grew up about a mile from the Battlefield and still live in the area. You picked a wonderful time to visit as it is very beautiful this time of year. I am a history buff and am blessed to live in this area. You are correct, it would take several days to see everything that the Battlefield has to offer. I take my daughters to different parts of the park every once in a while. They enjoy it as well. I have some pictures from last year around this time over at my Webshots.

And yes, they are steadily building in this area in the name of "progress". We don't like it. But, what town doesn't need a Prime Outlets?!?! :D

Very cool stuff, Chris. My father was a Civil War buff and it's always held some fascination for me from a genealogical perspective. As it turns out there was a Captain in the CSA Army on my father's side of the family and a Yankee Captain (Thomas Payne) from my mother's side.

Very cool stuff, Chris. My father was a Civil War buff and it's always held some fascination for me from a genealogical perspective. As it turns out there was a Captain in the CSA Army on my father's side of the family and a Yankee Captain (Thomas Payne) from my mother's side.

All of my relatives fought for the CSA Army of Northern Virginia, and they are all on my father's side, the most famous being R.E. Lee and Stephen D. Lee, but there were others as well. After the Civil War to get away from the harsh treatment of the Yankees in reconstruction Virginia, my family moved to Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, where most of them still live to this day.

My mother's family are Bavarians that did not move to America until after WW1.

Back in '97 I went to the Virginia Drags and visited D.C. for 3 days and also visited Gettysburg, Manassas and a couple other cival war sites. Gettysburg was by far the best! Most of those Civil War fields were nothing more than a Huge field of Grass with a few Cannon's is all.

Also Chris thanks for the pics, I will go there one of these days when I travel back to that part of America.

If anyone has a chance while travelling on I-20 don't miss Vicksburg National Military Park in (of all places) Vicksburg, Mississippi. it's a days worth of Beautiful Park and Lots of interesting things to see, a MUST SEE for Us history buffs. here is a link Vicksburg National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If anyone gets to V'burg they should also check out Grand Gulf. It's about 25 miles south of V'burg close to Port Gibson. I only found it because I worked on the MS River once upon a time. Port Gibson MS Civil War Campground Grand Gulf Military Park Port Gibson MS Between Vicksburg and Natchez

Back in '97 I went to the Virginia Drags and visited D.C. for 3 days and also visited Gettysburg, Manassas and a couple other cival war sites. Gettysburg was by far the best! Most of those Civil War fields were nothing more than a Huge field of Grass with a few Cannon's is all.

And Omaha Beach is just a beach, right Joe? ;)

What I find interesting about Civil War battlefields is that the survivors took it upon themselves later in life to return to those battlefields and place monuments that they paid for themselves to fallen comrades and leaders.

Tammy, you are right, this area at this time of year is gorgeous (though it has rained a lot the last couple of days). Sharpsburg is a very enchanting little town.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back