Another Pro Stock Driver From The 90'S (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
Commerce, Georgia, Southern Nationals, I'm guessing about 1993. I should have dated more of these photos, never knew the internet was going to be a place to share them.

Wayne.

GREGTHOMAS.jpg

That was one of the few races Greg ran that year. Great guy that used to post on Compuserve all the time... kinda lost touch though.

x2..................Any more pic's?

I've got a lot of pics from the Southern Nationals since I've been about a dozen times over the last 25 years. Lots of them were with cheap cameras that only took a good photo once in a while. Here's one of the McDonald's rigs in the mid 90's.

Wayne.

MCDONALDSRIG.jpg

I haven't talked to Greg for 6 months or so, but he's still around. He's a single father with a teenage boy, so as many of you know, that's a full-time job.

I did forward a link to this thread to him.

Here's his web site: Greg Thomas Racing

Commerce, Georgia, Southern Nationals, I'm guessing about 1993. I should have dated more of these photos, never knew the internet was going to be a place to share them.

Wayne.

I'm pretty sure that's Greg facing the camera in the maroon shirt.

He had been at Rockingham earlier in the week doing the finishing touches on his car getting it ready to run. The story of that car and Greg's tremendous sacrifices and dedication to get to this point is absolutely amazing. If races were decided by dedication, he would have won a bunch that year.

Long story shortened - Greg came to Minnesota from Northern California to pick up the car at Ness' shop. He rented a Ryder box truck and managed to come up with some method of getting the car loaded, tied down, and unloaded.

He showed up at Rockingham BY HIMSELF having driven straight through from Minneapolis. I asked him what he was going to do for a crew at Atlanta and he said by that point he barely had enough money to get back home so he'd have to run the car himself.

I managed to find a capable crewmember to help him out at a price he could afford.

Believe me, Greg was far from being a penniless man. But his dream of racing his own Pro car back then took every available dollar plus some. He's since come to his senses ;) and is now living a "normal" life.

He's one of the handful of guys who never got the break that was needed but would have positively impacted drag racing if they had.

I had to add an edit -- after looking at the photo, I'm not so sure that isn't me with my back to the camera. Weird!!!!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's Greg facing the camera in the maroon shirt.

He had been at Rockingham earlier in the week doing the finishing touches on his car getting it ready to run. The story of that car and Greg's tremendous sacrifices and dedication to get to this point is absolutely amazing. If races were decided by dedication, he would have won a bunch that year.

Long story shortened - Greg came to Minnesota from Northern California to pick up the car at Ness' shop. He rented a Ryder box truck and managed to come up with some method of getting the car loaded, tied down, and unloaded.

He showed up at Rockingham BY HIMSELF having driven straight through from Minneapolis. I asked him what he was going to do for a crew at Atlanta and he said by that point he barely had enough money to get back home so he'd have to run the car himself.

I managed to find a capable crewmember to help him out at a price he could afford.

Believe me, Greg was far from being a penniless man. But his dream of racing his own Pro car back then took every available dollar plus some. He's since come to his senses ;) and is now living a "normal" life.

He's one of the handful of guys who never got the break that was needed but would have positively impacted drag racing if they had.

I had to add an edit -- after looking at the photo, I'm not so sure that isn't me with my back to the camera. Weird!!!!

I cropped the photo and added some light so maybe you can recognize some people. Thanks for all the info.

Wayne.

GREGTHOMAS2.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back