Another NHRA nix..... (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
Another find going through my old photos. Cool side pods huh???

Prock/Mckinney design. I always liked it. NHRA had other ideas.
TQ at Indy 4.52 way back in 1999.

AmatoPods.jpg

Last edited:
What was the reason?

Sean D

They took away all the cool aero stuff, not just these. Why?? Becasue someone was thinking outside the box trying to improve areo, safety, and stability. Can't have any of that.

They had a period where they flared out the spill plates on the rear wings, and also curved and streamlined the current "mud flap". Not anymore.

Nice pic- good to see that car again, but I'm pretty sure the aero package went away due to the additional weight....

I'm pretty sure the aero package went away due to the additional weight....

It didn't weigh that much more then what they already had. They tested them in Gainesville, and I think again in Virginia before Indy. They made the low ET/top speed run Friday, ran them again Sat, then was told to take them off. At least that's what I remember.

interesting to see that they allow that in the super classes, but not in top fuel.

Ah, the old days when innovation was allowed. Almost unlimited room to try out new things, albeit within certain well prescribed safety parameters.

Sneaky Pete, Garlits, Double A, et al, would have been totally stiffled under todays current spec rules.

Makes ya wanna cry, doesn't it?

Just what is it about these Glendora boys? :rolleyes:

Ah, the old days when innovation was allowed. Almost unlimited room to try out new things, albeit within certain well prescribed safety parameters.

Sneaky Pete, Garlits, Double A, et al, would have been totally stiffled under todays current spec rules.

Makes ya wanna cry, doesn't it?

Just what is it about these Glendora boys? :rolleyes:

Just for the newbies:

N: No
H: Hot
R: Rods
A: Allowed

:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back