Anderson Wins Four-Wide Nationals, Takes Over Points Lead (1 Viewer)

Mooresville, N.C., April 17, 2011 – Summit Racing Pro Stock driver Greg Anderson scored an impressive victory on Sunday, claiming the Pro Stock title at the VisitMyrtleBeach.com Four-Wide NHRA Nationals in Charlotte, North Carolina. Starting from the second position, Anderson used consistent performances in the opening rounds to advance to the final, where he would take on noted leavers Greg Stanfield, Dave Connolly and Vincent Nobile.

In one of the closest races of the day, the four cars left the starting line as if welded together. However, it was Anderson who crossed the finish line first, using a 6.556-second, 211.39 mph pass to edge second-place Stanfield by five thousandths of a second. It was the 66th national event win of Anderson’s career, first of the 2011 season, and second at zMAX Dragway. The win also allowed him to move into the Full Throttle Championship points lead, three points ahead of his teammate Jason Line.

“It was just a great day for this Summit Racing team,” said Anderson. “I had said coming into this race that this was probably the toughest race we have as drivers, so to be able to win it makes me extremely proud of this entire KB Racing crew.

“Under normal circumstances, there’s so much going on at the starting line, especially in a Pro Stock car, and when you multiply it by four it’s pretty hard to handle. Fortunately, my guys did a great job with the race car, it put my mind at ease, allowing me to concentrate on the Christmas tree. I feel very fortunate to come out on top today.”

Anderson’s path to the final quartet was far from an easy one, as he opened against veterans Kurt Johnson, Allen Johnson and Ronnie Humphrey. Using the second-quickest pass of the opening stanza at 6.552-seconds, the Mooresville resident was able to advance and keep lane choice for the second round, a match-up that featured the top four finishers in the 2010 championship standings, Greg Stanfield, Mike Edwards and Allen Johnson.

Once again, Anderson was up to the challenge, combining a .023 reaction time and his quickest pass of the weekend at 6.549-seconds with a top speed of 210.93 to advance to the 97th final round of his career.

“Every round was like a final, with each one having four cars capable of going the distance,” said Anderson. “It’s exciting, but you also go up there worrying about getting your tail whipped, so I feel very lucky, and can’t thank the guys on my Summit Racing team enough.

“I felt good going into the final, but certainly didn’t feel like it was my race to lose. In fact, I thought I would have to step up in order to win. But I knew I would have a great hot rod, and I felt better about getting a handle on the tree and the entire four-wide racing format, and the circumstances worked out perfectly.

“It was a great final, with all four cars deserving to win. Each one of us had a .20 light, and three of the four made great runs. To win one of these races takes a 100% team effort, with no room for error. Every member of the team, including the driver has to execute perfectly, and today we did, so we get to go home and celebrate. It’s just a wonderful day for KB Racing. I’m relieved that it’s over, but proud of our performance, and ready to move on to Houston and keep this ball rolling.”

NHRA Pro Stock Point Standings (After 4 of 22 races)

Greg Anderson 336
Jason Line 333
Greg Stanfield 317
Mike Edwards 264

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back