Alan Reinhart WFO Interview Explains Why Forces Chutes Didn't Deploy (1 Viewer)

I guess it is easier to pick the pepper out of the FLY S%#T for opinions than read the actual reason from someone who knows like Alan Reinhart.
Wooda Shouda Coulda
Larry Sutton---🤠
You missed the point…..body teathers are dangerous! I’m not at all contesting why the chutes didn’t come out. I’m saying without the body teathers the body would have come off, chutes would have been out and the car most likely would have been drivable.

The tethers are going to stay.
What do you think would happen if NHRA should give the OK to remove the tethers and a piece of, or the whole body, goes into the crowd? The scumbag personal injury attorneys would be lined up before the event is concluded.
There's no telling what that would do to NHRA and drag racing.

What do you think would happen if NHRA should give the OK to remove the tethers and a piece of, or the whole body, goes into the crowd? The scumbag personal injury attorneys would be lined up before the event is concluded.
We all remember this...could have been nasty.

I
That is a very weak argument in my opinion. I refuse to cower to a bunch of ambulance chasing reprobates and the NHRA should too.

Teathers don’t keep parts and pieces from going into the stands. There have been hundreds of injuries in the stands from explosions over the years. That will never go away until you have no more explosions.

Please name one time a fc body went into the stands or injured many people. I’ll wait…

The most dangerous place at a drag strip is the pits! I’ve seen many times more people injured or killed in the pits than on or from on track incidents. Golf carts, scooters and pit vehicles kill or injure people almost every race. That’s a fact!

Every ticket comes with a waiver of liability.

Nhra has survived decades of accidents, injuries and deaths legally.

I

That is a very weak argument in my opinion. I refuse to cower to a bunch of ambulance chasing reprobates and the NHRA should too.

Teathers don’t keep parts and pieces from going into the stands. There have been hundreds of injuries in the stands from explosions over the years. That will never go away until you have no more explosions.

Please name one time a fc body went into the stands or injured many people. I’ll wait…

The most dangerous place at a drag strip is the pits! I’ve seen many times more people injured or killed in the pits than on or from on track incidents. Golf carts, scooters and pit vehicles kill or injure people almost every race. That’s a fact!

Did you not see post from steve ?

I

That waiver isn’t worth the ink used to print it.
It has been a while since a funny car body went into the crowd.
But, it has happened. I don’t specifically recall when or where it happened. But I still clearly remember the video. It was sometime in the late ‘60s at an outlaw track.
The car hit the guardrail and the body shot off the car and into the crowd.
The video showed the body plowing through the crowd. Several people were badly hurt.
But, even if that had never happened, because NHRA has already instituted the tethers as a safety device, I don’t think there’s any chance of the tethers being removed.
You might not worry about lawyers. That’s an easy stance for you to take since it’s NHRA’s money and reputation, not yours, at stake.

Did you not see post from steve ?
I did. Looks like the medical staff went up into the stands not where the body landed. Again teathers won’t stop small parts and pieces from goin into the stands. But they do make the car almost impossible to drive after an explosion like that.

Let’s address the elephant in the room here…..explosions. We wouldn’t be talking about any of this if these cars engines didn’t explode so violently.

I

do you want to become the insurer? The insurer today likely caused the rule to be made.

No Nick just did it as a joke. Life is like a box of chocolates. I have had more years in drag racing than you have been alive, so I don't have a BAD day because everyday at my age above ground is a good day.
Larry Sutton---🤠
I don’t disagree with you there Larry.

oh boy. So many people said the way the body broke is the reason the parachutes didn’t deploy, and the tethers were discussed then. Now we’re acting like this is all new and tethers are the evil of racing. This was a freak one in a million circumstance, and a small plate of steel or carbon fiber to mount the air cylinder and levers on (and maybe some fire retardant hoses for all the Leahy air lines vs the tubing I for years have feared would melt) would’ve prevented that. Like discussed in the music and commendation post, it comes down to if we injure fans, less fans show up. Less fans, less revenue. Less revenue, less payout. Less payout, less car count. See where this ends? I love nitro racing, you love nitro racing, but it’s expensive, and it can’t happen without financial help. It just can’t. I mean, if Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk (haha) decides to adopt me, then I can build my own track and race all I want, but I don’t see that happening. So we rely on fans, and if that means accepting the risk of tethers in order to ensure more fans are present because their wife (who didn’t really want to come) isn’t afraid of their child catching a D2747 to the face, or a huge piece of funny car carbon fiber in the eye. Wtf?

oh boy. So many people said the way the body broke is the reason the parachutes didn’t deploy, and the tethers were discussed then. Now we’re acting like this is all new and tethers are the evil of racing. This was a freak one in a million circumstance, and a small plate of steel or carbon fiber to mount the air cylinder and levers on (and maybe some fire retardant hoses for all the Leahy air lines vs the tubing I for years have feared would melt) would’ve prevented that. Like discussed in the music and commendation post, it comes down to if we injure fans, less fans show up. Less fans, less revenue. Less revenue, less payout. Less payout, less car count. See where this ends? I love nitro racing, you love nitro racing, but it’s expensive, and it can’t happen without financial help. It just can’t. I mean, if Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk (haha) decides to adopt me, then I can build my own track and race all I want, but I don’t see that happening. So we rely on fans, and if that means accepting the risk of tethers in order to ensure more fans are present because their wife (who didn’t really want to come) isn’t afraid of their child catching a D2747 to the face, or a huge piece of funny car carbon fiber in the eye. Wtf?
Using this logic…..shouldn’t every piece on the race car be teathered? Or should we prevent the explosions? Again the most dangerous place at the drag strip is the pits not the grandstands or trackside.

Since this accident happens about 1 time every every 10,000 or more passes we definitely need to form a committee of keyboard experts to solve this all too often calamity with stringent rules that have numbered subsections and lettered sub- sub sections with references and footnotes. I think a new rule could be put in place for less than a couple of thousand dollars (Per Body) by making a “no crush bracket that goes between the Chute cable mounting and the Solenoid mounting. This would work as long as it was X-Rayed every 6 months. If The wall thickness did not diminish by more than .001” everything should be good. If there are no more incidents by 2030 there could be a vote by the entire NHRA membership to decide if the rule could be recended. Everyone knows we don’t have nearly enough frivolous Rules.
“If - If’s & Buts were Candy & Nuts ——“

Last edited:
Using this logic…..shouldn’t every piece on the race car be teathered? Or should we prevent the explosions? Again the most dangerous place at the drag strip is the pits not the grandstands or trackside.
You’re never going to stop explosions in nitro racing. The chemistry just doesn’t work. Or are you in the “slow the cars down, limit nitro to 50%, limit supercharger speed, limit this, limit that” camp? Last fan injury I heard of in the pits was a liftgate falling on someone. Pits are pretty freaking safe for the most part for the teams themselves unless they’re doing something totally stupid. The biggest danger, well for me fear, is falling while setting up the awning. Maybe getting the car in and out of the upper deck, maybe. Everything else is just following the most basic science lab/shop class rules.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back