Alan Reinhart WFO Interview Explains Why Forces Chutes Didn't Deploy (2 Viewers)

Alan is just as "tech savvy" as the late Steve Evans was. Forces chute failure explanation makes total sense from an engineering standpoint. However, I'm still wondering why the chutes didn't deploy merely from the chaos going on (engine explosion, body all mangled, hitting the wall, etc.). I've seen them deploy on lesser violent events.

I'd say Force no way wants to lose a race because of the chutes falling out by accident Therefore his chutes are set up so they don't come out unless he dam well wants them to.

Alan could not have explained it any better or in a more simple way for all to understand. Thank you Alan.
Larry Sutton---🤠
When Alan mentioned the "two ways the chutes are activated", he didn't mention the crew chief's box on the starting line. Or, is that automatically included in the Leahy's box function?

Y'all (NHRA or FOX or NHRA/FOX, whatever it is) kill me with the "we told people who NEED to know". Except they dont know every funny car driver or who may be building one. FFS, you'd think it was stealth technology or proprietary missile guidance data.

Alan is just as "tech savvy" as the late Steve Evans was. Forces chute failure explanation makes total sense from an engineering standpoint. However, I'm still wondering why the chutes didn't deploy merely from the chaos going on (engine explosion, body all mangled, hitting the wall, etc.). I've seen them deploy on lesser violent events.
Just depends how deep the cables are in and how tight the pack is. If the body or part of the body where the packs are mounted comes off, the distance may yank them out.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, are the body tethers. Without tethers I don't think Force hits the wall at all. Or at least not at that angle. He was driving that car after the explosion, problem is he had no idea where he was going.

Does Force still have the chute levers mounted on the body? If so my guess is he couldn't reach them, assuming the manual operation of the chutes were not part of the issue Alan speaks of. I don't know how many inputs there are to chute assembly. This video from last year shows them mounted on the body
(Go to 2:10 for the in car shot).

My two cents as an uneducated spectator - NHRA needs to reevaluate the the body tethers and the parachute packs, cables and levers need to be mounted to the chassis.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, are the body tethers. Without tethers I don't think Force hits the wall at all. Or at least not at that angle. He was driving that car after the explosion, problem is he had no idea where he was going.

Does Force still have the chute levers mounted on the body? If so my guess is he couldn't reach them, assuming the manual operation of the chutes were not part of the issue Alan speaks of. I don't know how many inputs there are to chute assembly. This video from last year shows them mounted on the body
(Go to 2:10 for the in car shot).

My two cents as an uneducated spectator - NHRA needs to reevaluate the the body tethers and the parachute packs, cables and levers need to be mounted to the chassis.
The levers mount to the body because the whole body comes off, and that where the chutes are. What you say could be done, but that makes chute packing a bitch cause now you have to wait till the body is back on, plus route both cables every times.

The tethers were explained best by Tony Pedregon imo. At the risk of injury to self, and realized in this situation, I’d rather it not injure a spectator or track personnel. The hope is it isn’t this bad (maybe a 1/4” steel plate it’s all mounted to and rivet that to the body), and the body can be repaired or replaced. A fan or track worker cannot. At a lunch for junior leaders, a dear first sergeant told us that as sergeants, we were just overpaid bullet catchers. His point was for us to not get a big head (sergeants in the USMC are like god mode) because we are replaceable, our subordinates aren’t. I’ve carried that same mentality to racing. While my humanity can’t be replaced, as a racer, I’m even replaceable. They can pour a seat for another driver or build a whole new car, or some other team will step up and show up. The circus will go on whether I’m present or not. It won’t go on if enough fans or employees aren’t though. So as much as my loved ones would hate to hear, I’m for the tethers. Well I would be if I drove funny car lol. I’d BARELY consider it if given the chance 😂. Years ago it would’ve been a flat out no.

Last edited:
for years, the engine exploded, and the body flipped up and off, or into pieces, pulling chutes simultaneously.
one of the more memorable was hight and hagen thru the traps at gainesville probably 4+ years ago now......but the body and/or body parts
flew where they wanted ...... and now john's accident. not sure if new rules can be implented? sometimes all the pieces just
happen in the worst possible way

for years, the engine exploded, and the body flipped up and off, or into pieces, pulling chutes simultaneously.
one of the more memorable was hight and hagen thru the traps at gainesville probably 4+ years ago now......but the body and/or body parts
flew where they wanted ...... and now john's accident. not sure if new rules can be implented? sometimes all the pieces just
happen in the worst possible way
How about having cables that attach to the chassis from the body mounted levers that can be unlatched to take and put body on and off that would pull chute levers if the body gets levers out of reach

competitionplus.com has a article on Force's chute failure. it brakes done the WFO video too only 5:33 minutes from the original 1:36:28 minutes long racing report video. once again Alan did a fantastic job of explaining the chute failure.
Larry Sutton---🤠

i do remember when johnny gray was driving FC under dsr umbrella.......was maybe his last sponsor which i believe was self funded (the poker hand of cards)?
anyways, tethers were in use then i believe. john had a top end explosion, and body did not shed. i recall he was very upset about body pieces
staying on car and blinded his vision how and where to drive/steer the car. this may have actually played into his decision to finally get out of FC class.

How about having cables that attach to the chassis from the body mounted levers that can be unlatched to take and put body on and off that would pull chute levers if the body gets levers out of reach
Posted this before watching video that Larry posted about on comp, watch it, thanks for the heads up Larry on how Alan’s info brings fact to the discussion

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back