Alan Johnson Racing (1 Viewer)

If he does have to liquidate and possibly move back into a tuning role for another team I'd bet my lunch money that JFR is going to be one of the first teams to call him.
I doubt Alan would work with any team other than one that uses AJPE products. I don't forsee JFR scrapping all their in-house stuff just to bring Alan on.

I doubt Alan would work with any team other than one that uses AJPE products. I don't forsee JFR scrapping all their in-house stuff just to bring Alan on.

Quoted for truth!

If I am not mistaken, JFR and DSR build all of their parts in house now. I am sure Alan can make them run just fine, but why would he want to undercut his own business? If you take away JFR and DSR, who is really left besides Kalitta that can scratch out a check big enough to hire him? AJ's nitro customer base is dwindling, but he is developing a very promising alcohol motor combination with Doug Gordon (they got it down into the 40s at Topeka, the only alky flopper on the property that did it that weekend). Maybe we will see AJ back where he started ... In the alcohol pits.

Maybe we will see AJ back where he started ... In the alcohol pits.

He does stuff for Nostalgia Nitro also, and I'm guessing some LSR-types massage his stuff when they have a nitro combo.

When the fields are basically running clones, no matter what name they place on it, it takes Mad Scientist types like AJ and Bad Brad to make the next leaps in performance. I'm not saying JFR or DSR have a void in the Mad Scientist department, as I'm sure both teams have a few smart cookies mumbling to themselves sitting at messy desks in the shop somehwere. The 1000' changed the game, and it's more about clutches now than it ever was. Making the motor AND the tire happy at the same time is the gig. Everyone makes gobs of HP.

File it under "It could happen"
Just my guess AND opinion, but AJPE has positioned itself to basically offer everything one needs from pan to hat to run Nitro. With the IHRA AMSOIL and NHRA Heritage series (and DRO and others) offering races for the lower priced (still expensive) nostalgia cars, it's on the precipice of taking off with some serious numbers, car count-wise and fan-wise. If a few large-scale speed shops could trade the low-volume/high price for a slightly higher-volume/lower price business model, there is actually a serious chance that running a Nitro race car could become affordable (relative term) once again. Enough so that group of people with modest incomes could pool their money and go racing like they used to. I think it would be AWESOME if in the next 5-10 years there's a swing, and the dominating Nitro series is Nostalgia. Bring on the FED's Altereds and the Floppers that look more like real cars and not shorty streamliners.

Back to Alan...
Like someone here already said. If the guy had anything to prove, he's already proved it. I am betting he would love to go play golf and enjoy the spoils of his hard work with the time he currently uses to run a team.

Who knows?

Whatever he chooses, it's his call, and he's definitely earned my respect.

After AJ lost the Winston deal he sat at home and sold parts and did quite well. He's not going racing unless the $$$ are there.

Alan doesn't have a huge business to fund his racing from. He has a successful business, of course. But racing at that level will wipe out the wealthiest among us in no time. By making a decision to park it he is also letting it be known he and his team members may be available to the right team who does have a company behind them that can afford it without going broke. If they aren't running his stuff he can make that part of the deal.

It doesn't matter what level you're racing at. I've seen families wiped out because someone didn't know when to quit. The needle is in that deep for some.

. If they aren't running his stuff he can make that part of the deal..

As I recall that was part of the deal when he first went to DSR. They went to his parts or at least many different parts than they were using at that time. They also changed to a different chassis builder. At least thats the way I remember it.

Alan doesn't have a huge business to fund his racing from. He has a successful business, of course. But racing at that level will wipe out the wealthiest among us in no time. By making a decision to park it he is also letting it be known he and his team members may be available to the right team who does have a company behind them that can afford it without going broke. If they aren't running his stuff he can make that part of the deal.

It doesn't matter what level you're racing at. I've seen families wiped out because someone didn't know when to quit. The needle is in that deep for some.
Exactly Randy!

And I think many here on this board would be absolutely amazed just how close to financial disaster some of the "professional" teams / drivers and Sportsman teams really are. Many have multiple mortgages, loans, and lines of credit just to stay on the road. Unfortunately, none of them seem worried about the what if.

This statement is very true.
And I think many here on this board would be absolutely amazed just how close to financial disaster some of the "professional" teams / drivers and Sportsman teams really are. Many have multiple mortgages, loans, and lines of credit just to stay on the road. Unfortunately, none of them seem worried about the what if.

How about many of the suppliers and some of the largest vendors who appear to be hanging on my their finger nails right now!!!

Jimbo
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Just a little bit of wondering here....If AJ is done after Englishtown,will he just park the team until Indy and then run the shootout,or would he sell everything and Langdon has to find another ride for the shootout? If Langdon has no ride for the shootout there would be a extra spot open Like when Dave Connolly left pro stock for top fuel.

They were not as of last week. I can confirm that I saw both AJR rigs on I-84 in CT today headed east. Saw many of the Pro teams in my trip on home from work today.
Missed it yesterday, but that's always a highlight seeing the NASCAR rigs and, lately, the NHRA rigs heading to New Hampshire on my to-and-fro's of 84, usually between Willington and the Manchester area.

This statement is very true.

How about many of the suppliers and some of the largest vendors who appear to be hanging on my their finger nails right now!!!

Jimbo
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com
This is SO accurate! I know a Top Sportsman racer, who has 2 mortgages on his house and a 2nd on another home he inherited. Cards are always maxed out and eating PB&J. Unfortunately, I was at a similar point myself when I ran NHRA. You do whatever it takes to feed your passion and it is very difficult to break.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back