ADRL to Allow EFI for XPS in 2012 (1 Viewer)

Formula 1 also uses control ECUs in a manner very similar to the NASCAR method you described above. F1's ECUs are all built by McLaren and the software is from Microsoft.

I was informed by someone else that I was wrong, NASCAR is using Holley throttle bodies, but the ECU is the McLaren one. Maybe that just makes the policing that much easier, since someone else has already skinned that cat :)

There are quite a few comp racers using EFI, so people have experience using EFI in the rpm range that NHRA pro stock racers run at. In fact, two people from a comp team which uses EFI just went to work for a new PS team, although those guys were hired to work on the car, not the engine.

As long as Carbs make more Horsepower than EFI, the transition will be slow! We have an engine builder here in town who has a Dyno. He has Dyno'd motors with EFI and Carbs, and there is a Horsepower disparity for sure!

Even if the carb made did more HP at peak, one of the main benefits of EFI in a P/S car would be how the motor reacted when it was pulled down at the gear change. The EFI would respond much quicker than a carb, and the motor would start climbing sooner...and by sooner I mean maybe only hundredths of a second sooner, but that will add up after 4 gear changes. EFI also is much faster at reacting to atmospheric changes, from the pits to the starting line to mid-track. All of those little improvements add up....

That's pretty solid looking spec's, would you know the price level of that unit?

Nope. I believe it falls into the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category :)

McLaren makes other units that aren't "tamper-proof" and I think those are generally available.

If I was in a "cost is no object" market for an ECU, I think I'd be thinking about the Motec M800. That is a very nice piece, and coupled with their really fine loggers (part of the dash) would be very trick. Only problem is cost. You hop into 5 digits very quickly...

From ADRL.us
EFI Rules Being Finalized, XPS Rulebook To Be Updated

With the ruling, the ADRL becomes the first major drag racing sanctioning body to allow EFI to be used in any Pro Stock car. The milestone announcement will add further excitement to the Extreme Pro Stock class, which had record-breaking fields and performances during the 2011 ADRL season. With tremendous side-by-side racing in the innovative class, XPS was also arguably the most competitive class in the ADRL in 2011.

Manufacturers wishing to have their EFI Controllers in the world’s premier eighth-mile drag racing league will have to first submit them to the ADRL for approval prior to them being allowed to be used at any ADRL event.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back