ADRL 2011 Driver Of The Year Cary Goforth Claims First Extreme Pro Stock Championship (1 Viewer)

ADRL 2011 Driver Of The Year Cary Goforth Claims First Extreme Pro Stock World Championship

O’FALLON, MO (November 1, 2011) – Faced with numerous questions and debuting an entirely new crew, Extreme Pro Stock driver Cary Goforth made a resounding statement to open the 2011 American Drag Racing League (ADRL) season with a win at Royal Purple Raceway in March.

Goforth didn’t stop there, either.

The passionate and hard-working Goforth put together one of the finest seasons in XPS history, using that first-race momentum to win his first ADRL World Championship.

There was more for Goforth, too, as the talented Oklahoma native was also named the 2011 ADRL Driver of the Year in a year he won’t soon forget.

“This is something I had dreamt about since last year and to have it come true, it’s just icing on the cake,” Goforth said of the world championship. “I wanted this for so long and going through your mind, it’s just something you could picture, so it was very special.”

Goforth’s 2011 season was certainly special, as it included three event wins – giving him six for his career to tie Brian Gahm for the most in XPS history – four finals appearances and four No. 1 qualifiers.

On one outstanding weekend in September that all but clinched the world championship, Goforth qualified in the top position and then re-set his world E.T. record, going 4.037 in Norwalk en route to his final event win of 2011.

It was the second time Goforth was the No. 1 qualifier and won the race, repeating the effort he put together at U.S. 131 Motorsports Park in July, and it was one more reason why Goforth was named the 2011 ADRL Driver of the Year.

“I just feel honored that (the ADRL) would even consider me in the mix. If somebody would have told me I was just in the running, it would have been fine with me,” Goforth said. “It’s a great honor and it means a whole lot to me. There’s so many great drivers out there and it’s a great organization to be a part of right now.”

Goforth is certainly included in that mix and was a major reason why the XPS class came into its own in 2011.

It was consistently the ADRL’s biggest and most competitive class, creating an intensely competitive atmosphere at each event.

Goforth, though, was up to the challenge, consistently putting together outstanding performances at the starting line.

“I like to be in there and aggressive, and cut good lights every time,” Goforth said. “I don’t like to let down my guys, either.”

That didn’t happen often, even when debuting a new car.

Goforth did just that in July in Martin, Mich., winning the debut event with his new Jerry Haas Race Cars GXP.

It was one of many top moments for Goforth, who had the pleasure of sharing it all with his father, Dean, another top XPS competitor who won at Virginia Motorsports Park in August.

“We had a lot of good times this year. Re-setting the world record against Pete (Berner) when you had to have something (great), that really sticks out,” Goforth said. “Also, winning the race in Baytown (in March) with a whole new crew really stands out as well. I better say that is the top moment, winning the very first race with a brand new crew.

“My crew is the most wonderful crew and we all worked so hard. I’m so happy to be able to do this.”

Goforth had so many good moments in 2011 he hopes to repeat the effort in 2012.

He promised to work hard and be even better during the ADRL’s eighth season, knowing full well the competition will be stronger than ever in XPS during the 2012 ADRL Tour.

“I love my competition and they bring out the best in me,” Goforth said. “I’ve been trying so hard to stick this No. 1 on my window and I don’t want to pass it off to the next guy.

“I want to try to keep it. I want to try to defend it. It’s going to be hard and these guys are the best in the world. I’m honored to be a part of this class.”

Attachments

• DSC_9322.jpg
    DSC_9322.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 905
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back