ACDelco sponsorship with Kurt Johnson concludes (1 Viewer)

Geroge...I can see where you're going. A different writing style might have been better received, but the fact of the matter is that NHRA isn't on the radar screen of most corporations. The return on investment simply can't be generated in drag racing like it is in Nascar. The races are too short, there are too many winners (classes) at each race which confuses the TV audience, the TV coverage is never prime time and doesn't deliver sponsorship value, logos don't receive much exposure, low attendance, and most importantly...too few drag races on the schedule. Nascar runs nearly every weekend, thus offering a dependable and predictable marketing value to sponsors. NHRA is at it's best when running back to back weekends. It's at it's worst when it takes long three week breaks between races.

This is nothing new. Our sport is fine, but drawing parallels to Nascar never work in our favor.

I was just reading this weeks National Dragster and WJ said the K&N deal was for only 1 year, so he is looking for funding for his car also.

We are to auto racing to what hockey is to stick and ball sports...a truly unique experience to see in person. I think drag racing looks good on tv with the burnouts etc. (if they will even show them) but the show is too long to keep most people's attention.

They need to cut the over all length of the show down and cut back the bikes to the final round and pro stock to the semis only and more live final and semi final rounds while showing highlights of rounds 1 and 2 in the fuel classes. Sorry, but that's what needs to happen to get the ratings.

Trouble is that Nascar still televises well, and people still want to watch. Fuel cars look like a waste of TV time with the 1,000 foot squirts, and Pro Stock?

As much as it has been beat to death on here . . . :D

NASCAR is much easier for the casual observer to watch. I'm sorry but to most people every run on TV looks the same.

There have been plenty of good points made by a bunch of people on here what the NHRA needs to change in its tv productions but the simple fact of the matter is the show is indeed boring to watch.

As much as it has been beat to death on here . . . :D

NASCAR is much easier for the casual observer to watch. I'm sorry but to most people every run on TV looks the same.

There have been plenty of good points made by a bunch of people on here what the NHRA needs to change in its tv productions but the simple fact of the matter is the show is indeed boring to watch.

IMHO, I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'll even reword your statement:

NHRA Drag Racings much easier for the casual observer to watch than NASCAR on TV or in person

In the words of my wife after attending her first and last NACAR Race:

"The first 30 minutes was really exciting, and the last 30 minutes was great...but that two hours in the middle just abouit killed me."

RG

Well obviously if I'm on this site I'm partial to the straight-line, but, having said that, I watched a little NASCAR during the Phoenix race a couple weeks ago because it had been awhile. I myself just don't find it that exciting, and it's way too long. But, I was really trying to look at it objectively. I noticed that all the cars are extremely similar, and for all the hoopla about sponsor exposure, I gotta tell ya', for the most part, I found it very hard to see what companies were on the cars. And, the camera pretty much follows the top handful around the track, so unless you're in the top, say 5 cars, you're not getting covered. Now, I'm sure my observations could be debated, and I'm not a NASCAR basher, I was just really trying to see what their product looked like these days. Obviously, like everyone else they have experinced downturns in sponsors and attendance, but they're still the 800lb. gorilla in motorsports.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back