ACDelco sponsorship with Kurt Johnson concludes (1 Viewer)

Raconteur

Nitro Member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ACDelco sponsorship with Kurt Johnson concludes after 14 exciting NHRA Pro Stock seasons

GRAND BLANC, Mich., Nov. 24, 2009 –
It's been an outstanding run for both veteran NHRA Pro Stock driver Kurt Johnson and ACDelco, but after 14 race seasons, the sponsor-partnership that together produced 34 national-event victories, 10 top-five points finishes and a countless number of memorable moments, came to a close at the end of the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle race season. It marks the conclusion of one of the longest-running sponsorships in NHRA Drag Racing, dating all the way back to 1996 when Johnson first competed in the Delco Freedom Batteries car.

"Kurt has been a tremendous ambassador for ACDelco over the years and is a true professional in every sense of the word," said Jim Moloney, General Director, GM Service and Parts Operations. "He has provided us with some wonderful moments, both on and off the track, and all of our customers appreciate everything he has done during these past 14 race seasons.

"We've been proud to be associated with Kurt Johnson, and everyone at ACDelco and GM SPO appreciate everything he's done to carry the ACDelco banner. We wish nothing but the best for Kurt, his family and his race program."

Since making his Pro Stock debut in 1993, Johnson has accumulated 39 career national-event victories, 75 final-round appearances, 13 top-five and 17 top-10 finishes in the final points standings. He has captured 34 national-event wins and 14 top-10 finishes during his association with ACDelco.

The northeast Georgia resident also has 521 career round-wins which is second only to his father, six-time NHRA Pro Stock champ Warren Johnson, among full-time, active Pro Stock drivers. The NHRA Rookie of the Year in 1993, Johnson has averaged a 4th-place points finish over the last 17 years.

"Our partnership with ACDelco has been so long that it seems like they've always been on the side of one of our of race cars," Johnson said. "We've made a lot of wonderful friends at ACDelco and GM SPO over the years, and I truly appreciate everything they've done for our race program to make it successful. To all the ACDelco distributors and independent service centers who have been such a strong proponent of this program, I want to thank you for your support during these past 14 seasons."

"We're accepting offers for sponsors for 2010, and we're confident that we have a tremendous program capable of building the kind of exposure a company needs to aggressively promote and sell its products."

# # #

Sad situation....................best of luck to Kurt finding the funding to stay out there. The sport needs the Johnson family out there racing.

It's really great to see GM dump their NHRA Programs but stick with nascrap.:rolleyes: Imagine how many NHRA teams GM could fund for what they are giving Jimmie Johnson. That's why any new vehicles I buy for my company or personal use, will be Ford.

Dave

It's really great to see GM dump their NHRA Programs but stick with nascrap.:rolleyes: Imagine how many NHRA teams GM could fund for what they are giving Jimmie Johnson. That's why any new vehicles I buy for my company or personal use, will be Ford.

Dave

Hmmm...Jimmy Johnson or Kurt Johnson?...could someone please explain to me who Kurt Johnson is?

Dave, GM cut back their NASCAR stuff a bunch but a lot of teams still have contracts that GM has to honor.

Dave

Nobody watches or cares about the NHRA.
Ask the average person on the street what the NHRA is, and they will probably think some gun lobby.

EVERYBODY knows what Nascar is, and EVERYBODY watches the Daytona 500. The NHRA is basically dead to the world, and definitely dead to 98% of corporate America....
Expect more bad sponsorship news to follow the NHRA.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong here Im not a stock car race fan by any stretch of the imagination, but Jimmie Johnson #1, Kurt Johnson #8 in the final standings. Jimmie Johnson, household name. Kurt Johnson, not so much.

Nobody watches or cares about the NHRA.
Ask the average person on the street what the NHRA is, and they will probably think some gun lobby.

EVERYBODY knows what Nascar is, and EVERYBODY watches the Daytona 500. The NHRA is basically dead to the world, and definitely dead to 98% of corporate America....
Expect more bad sponsorship news to follow the NHRA.

:eek: WOW! Can someone please check George's meds, I think the anti-depressants need some adjustments!

Teams/tracks sue GM: Two teams and three tracks have filed claims against the former General Motors, which was restructured this summer during bankruptcy. Dale Earnhardt Inc. has filed a claim for $3.2 million based on a written contract DEI had with General Motors. JR Motorsports has filed a claim for $198,000 based on a sponsorship contract. Three tracks also have filed claims based on hospitality agreements. Daytona International Speedway seeks $651,018.75; Richmond International Raceway seeks $65,700 and Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., seeks $45,500 [all are owned by ISC](Roanoke Times)(11-26-2009)

:eek: WOW! Can someone please check George's meds, I think the anti-depressants need some adjustments!

Hahaha.. I know, I do sound like I'm on the low end of a Bi-Polar swing, but it's true.. Corporate America is less likely to spend on motorsports, and given the choice of the two, I think we know which one will lose out.....
NHRA has killed itself with 1000' racing, and Nascar isn't far behind with that dump truck they call the COT, but at least the sponsor's logo aren't gone from TV view within 3.99 seconds..
Trouble is that Nascar still televises well, and people still want to watch. Fuel cars look like a waste of TV time with the 1,000 foot squirts, and Pro Stock? zzzzzz.
Yeah, they'll always have motorhead sponsors like Castrol, maybe a beer, and the Military is always looking for more bodies, but the non motorhead sponsors who would take a chance in years gone by will be looking for a more sure thing..

I look for the NHRA to bleed sponsorship dollars like an exposed, lacerated artery. They still seem to operate as if they are honored by their own presence, instead of "stimulating" their own economy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back