AB new 2022 TF team (1 Viewer)

I have a feeling that Tony Schumacher doesn't have a real tight relationship with his dad because, The business's that Don has, he can more than cover a tour until Tony gets his ass in gear and really sits down to find sponsorship.

I have a feeling that Tony Schumacher doesn't have a real tight relationship with his dad because, The business's that Don has, he can more than cover a tour until Tony gets his ass in gear and really sits down to find sponsorship.
I agree. I know Don has always said that he wouldn't pay out of his own pocket to race, but I do remember a few times in the past when he filled in certain race weekends with his Shumacher Electric logo on the side of Tony's car or was it Leah? I'm not sure who but it's always been funny to me that someone who owns a half a billion dollar company wouldn't be willing to pony up some cash for a marketing deal with his own race team. Especially when they preach how great of an exposure NHRA drag racing is.

Tony Schumacher has been there done that, has multiple t-shirts, drank a few Pepsi's, why does everyone assume he wants to come back?
Work 7 days a week doing promos, driving every weekend, being away from his wife and kids.
He was very successful and is now enjoying the fruits of his labors.

Tony Schumacher has been there done that, has multiple t-shirts, drank a few Pepsi's, why does everyone assume he wants to come back?
Work 7 days a week doing promos, driving every weekend, being away from his wife and kids.
He was very successful and is now enjoying the fruits of his labors.
I was thinking the same thing

Don Schumacher is far from the first racer to say he won’t race out of his own pocket.
Don has a company to worry about. Racing comes second.
Sure, he might partially fund one or more of his teams with Schumacher Electric for a race.
But, that is a drop in the bucket compared to funding a team for the entire season.
Antron Brown is extremely marketable. He’s been my favorite TF driver for several years. He’s funny, quick witted, photogenic and smart. And he just happens to be one heck of a racer.
I’m glad to see him forming his own team.
Tony Schumacher was absolutely perfect as the representative for the U.S. Army.
Antron is the perfect representative for NHRA.

Roger Penske is another successful businessmen outside racing who, like Shoe, could almost certainly fund his racing through the marketing budgets of his other companies but for the most part has refused to. Though also like Shoe, he has made occasional exceptions to that rule over the years. It's true that these guys do sell other companies on the value of sponsorship, and one might say if it's so great, why aren't they jumping all over the chance to take advantage of it themselves? But I think both of them are smart enough businessmen to realize that there is a moral hazard to sponsoring yourself. An outside business is (or should be) keeping a clear, objective head and making sponsorship decisions based on a sound business case. It's difficult to count on being able to do that yourself when you are funding your own dream and passion.

It kills me how many people seem to know other people's financial position, and their ability and/or desire to fund a racing program out of their own pockets, or their company's. As mentioned, Don has filled in gaps where needed by using Schumacher Electric. And I'll bet over the past 25 years or so since Tony went pro, that Don has spent quite a few of his own dollars on drag racing. And has anybody here seen the infrastructure he's invested in in Indy? Instead of griping about why a guy like Don doesn't just pay for Tony to field a car all season, I think we should be grateful that the guy came back 25 years ago, got the needle stuck in his arm all over again, and has made huge contributions to the sport, including giving a lot of people livelihoods.

Roger Penske is another successful businessmen outside racing who, like Shoe, could almost certainly fund his racing through the marketing budgets of his other companies but for the most part has refused to. Though also like Shoe, he has made occasional exceptions to that rule over the years. It's true that these guys do sell other companies on the value of sponsorship, and one might say if it's so great, why aren't they jumping all over the chance to take advantage of it themselves? But I think both of them are smart enough businessmen to realize that there is a moral hazard to sponsoring yourself. An outside business is (or should be) keeping a clear, objective head and making sponsorship decisions based on a sound business case. It's difficult to count on being able to do that yourself when you are funding your own dream and passion.
Then I guess the CAPCO team is wavering on the endangerment of self consequence.

Then I guess the CAPCO team is wavering on the endangerment of self consequence.
I would say the Capco team is a good example. Does anyone think that Capco is on those cars because there is a robust business case and return on investment? It's almost certainly because the Torrences like to drag race and are fortunate enough to own a successful business that generates sufficient profit for them to do so on the highest level. That's fine if that's what they want to do- life is about more than profit and loss- but from a purely objective business point of view it's probably not the best choice.

So......without business commitments does this open the door for Don to resume his driving career? Just wishful thinking. 😉

I can't believe that you guys don't know that Don sold Schumacher Electric.

From what I’ve read he still has a stake in Schumacher Electric, and is on the Board of Directors, maybe he can talk the majority into a major sponsorship of a nitro car? Or two?

just stop with the tony 2x b.s.; why does everyone assume they mite be in the mix? tony s. assured us the 'right' (meaning: pay me
Sorry Mike - I will be sure to clear it with you before posting any more B,S. In the future

I would say the Capco team is a good example. Does anyone think that Capco is on those cars because there is a robust business case and return on investment? It's almost certainly because the Torrences like to drag race and are fortunate enough to own a successful business that generates sufficient profit for them to do so on the highest level. That's fine if that's what they want to do- life is about more than profit and loss- but from a purely objective business point of view it's probably not the best choice.
Which is why my point is more relevant t in the fact that Don could actually market a product that could potentially have a stable ROI in drag racing. Everyone's perspective is different and being able to gauge appropriate ROI's in any business is tough. Nonetheless, my point was that if your business can be marketed successfully in other media forms then why not attempt to do so within your own racing entity, especially when you are preaching how great of a marketing partner you could be with other potential sponsors.

Sorry Mike - I will be sure to clear it with you before posting any more B,S. In the future
well, you are actually rite john, it sure would be nice if tony 1 or tony 2 were to become relevant. ....... i've just always been on the AB band wagon and continue to be :)
if a future ABM team can build and grow, i could sure see ant bringing in someone young and giving them the chance to shine in the same manner DSR did for him.

I can't believe that you guys don't know that Don sold Schumacher Electric.

Alan
I had no idea. And to be fair, how would we? If you go to the Schumacher Electric website, their About Us section has pics of Don and info about him. The bottom of their website has a big DSR logo. If you Google 'who owns schumacher electric' it even has Don Schumacher as the first result.
So for those interested here is an announcement from October 2020, so it's only recent too: https://www.livingstonepartners.com...-new-partner-to-energize-schumacher-electric/

I had no idea. And to be fair, how would we? If you go to the Schumacher Electric website, their About Us section has pics of Don and info about him. The bottom of their website has a big DSR logo. If you Google 'who owns schumacher electric' it even has Don Schumacher as the first result.
So for those interested here is an announcement from October 2020, so it's only recent too: https://www.livingstonepartners.com...-new-partner-to-energize-schumacher-electric/
That looks like Don is packing his golden parachute. Good for him. The man has given more to drag racing than can ever be repaid.
And I don’t think he goes around telling everybody his private business.
It’s no wonder we hadn’t heard about it.
Again, good for him.

private equity is quite the new model these days. it's amazing how many businesses are held by them, in all sectors, and they're certainly not in it to break even.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back