AAA only on Procks car for 2 races this season (1 Viewer)

remember when kb and budweiser were talked about for longevity of sponsor? something like 25 years? there's certainly others out there that
come to mind that are in that category of many years......AAA is one of them for sure. LRS with wilk is another.

remember when kb and budweiser were talked about for longevity of sponsor? something like 25 years? there's certainly others out there that
come to mind that are in that category of many years......AAA is one of them for sure. LRS with wilk is another.
And that longevity makes it sadder when these longtime sponsors pull back from Drag Racing and decide to spend their dollars elsewhere, I for one will always be grateful to these longtime sponsors

the Capps/NAPA deal has to be going at least 15 years now. That's a pretty good run. Antron and Matco, have to be in that neighborhood, maybe even longer. Cruz and Snap-on have to be in that 15-ish year neighborhood as well. Those are some really strong marketing partnerships.

Back when I lived in Chandler, AZ I had a neighbor that had a classic rock cover band. So, I followed them around on occasion and if I would return to
the bar that he played at. I would make it a point to talk to the owner or Mgr. and explain that the reason I was here was because he hired Wicked Rev to play there.

I have a thought, lets look at the sponsors and see who is actually a sponsor and what drivers have a stake in "their" own sponsorship. I think it will show things are vastly different than the were years back.
Torrence owns Capco 2 cars
Salinas owns Scrappers, several cars bikes
Dakin owns Commercial sheet metal
Kallitta Flys DHL freight and probably only lets MAC Tools into his hangars for tool sales
Coughlins Jegs pretty obvious
Elite hired drivers but making bank on leasing cars engines
KB same^^^^^^
continue on...........

i think the private investment firm that purchased jegs, was planing to drop their motorsports advertising?
but further negotiations kept the name in motorsports, specifically drag racing. thought i read this somewhere.
....... a simple question: why do so many children of founding business parents, opt to not take over the family business?
jegs and schumacher electric are two recent examples.

the Capps/NAPA deal has to be going at least 15 years now. That's a pretty good run. Antron and Matco, have to be in that neighborhood, maybe even longer. Cruz and Snap-on have to be in that 15-ish year neighborhood as well. Those are some really strong marketing partnerships.
Snap-on started with Cruz in the early 90’s.

i think the private investment firm that purchased jegs, was planing to drop their motorsports advertising?
but further negotiations kept the name in motorsports, specifically drag racing. thought i read this somewhere.
....... a simple question: why do so many children of founding business parents, opt to not take over the family business?
I’m sure there are a lot of reasons. The two companies I worked with over the last 25 years both had the same problem. The kids had no interest and were probably incapable of taking over such a large responsibility. It’s better to cash out, rather gamble on an uncertain future. One was started in 1951, the other in 1927. It’s a shame. They both sold to investment companies planning to pump it up by any means and treat it like a house flip.

.......... The kids had no interest and were probably incapable of taking over such a large responsibility..........
very true. i'm aware of a pending sale of (3) large RV/camper/atv/etc. lots right now. the owner has one son (40ish), who is incapable of running it. the dad(owner) wants out
after many years of building his successful business.......if the sale goes thru, the buyer is CW.

There are several reasons why companies are not passed down. Corporate structure - multiple siblings - second mirriage (Kids) - disinterest - incapabability - inheritance taxes - future outlook - etc.. In reality some of these businesses are already 2nd and 3rd generation and there is no "Fire in the Belly" for these kids that never had to struggle or feel the accomplishment of building the business. Cars - Bikes - Racing are not what they were a few generations back.

AAA CEO Tom McKernan's involvement in NHRA as a sponsor as well as a fan was the reason for the AAA sponsorship. He retired in 2012, and the sponsorships lasted an additional 10 years. I spoke to him a few times when his daughter, Megan, was driving Jerry Darien's A/Fuel dragster. He seemed like a very nice approachable person who loved racing.

FWIW: Given the alternatives: I'd rather see a company merge/sell to a company in a related industry - where ther might be some synergy. Of course, a bigger company with a bigger global footprint might be able to extend the acquired business FAR beyond the vision of original ownership.
That said, too many acquisitions seem to have "clean <phony> up the books" and flip - or draw down all the cash and scoot - as the end game

IMO the kids are like existing track owners. Work like a dog 100 hours a week, put up with all sorts of crap from employees and customers OR sell to high bidder, make more than you will in the rest of your lifetime and enjoy a stress free existence.

The Jegs guys might be different than some. Jeg told me a while back that the sons had been running the business for quite a while, that Jeg Sr had essentially retired.
If you could cash out and use all those $$ to do something you really enjoy, like racing, wouldn't you?

everyone's thoughts and opinions on this topic are valid; personally i love to see businesses passed on to generations that not only keep them going,
but many improve and expand the business. it's not an easy task, and spouses need to be onboard as well......that reminds me, i need to buy a powerball.

money talks.

Does it make sense for the Automobile Club of Southern California to sponsor a car at any race outside Southern California?

They can't go to races in other areas to sign up members. I always wondered why they were paying to sponsor a car racing in Pennsylvania or another state.

Does it make sense for the Automobile Club of Southern California to sponsor a car at any race outside Southern California?

They can't go to races in other areas to sign up members. I always wondered why they were paying to sponsor a car racing in Pennsylvania or another state.
I think they are a part of AAA insurance that is nation wide, years ago I had AAA and auto club roadside in Nevada when I lived in Vegas

AAA Missouri usually sponsors the team in St. Louis and AAA Texas usually sponsors them in Dallas. I think you will see AAA on that car more than 2 races.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back