A really good Matt Hagan Story (1 Viewer)

mastertone

Nitro Member
hagan.JPG
Well my daughter and I bought suite Tickets at Chicago for Friday, I turn around and see Matt Hagan sitting behind us and no one has noticed him yet. I just got right up and start a conversation with him that goes on for at least 15 minutes that was more like a press conference talking about everything from the Don to Terry Chandler, what a genuine nice person! He spoke to me like I had know him for 20 years was very candid about the questions I asked him and even elaborated on many of them and some were very humorous. It is people like Matt that keep this sport going and I thank him again for the candid pictures and the stories he spoke of! A true gentleman. THANKS MATT!

Last edited:
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1214.JPG
I'll add a story. A couple months ago I was racing T/D at Topeka. Friday night I started hurting really bad, I have had a number of kidney stones and knew what was going on. I had a friend run me to the ER and sure enough..kidney stone. I convinced the doctor to do the procedure without anasthesia so I could race the next day with no worries. Got done close to midnight and was heading back to the track...pretty uncomfortable from the procedure. I stopped at a gas station to get some Gatorade and waters to keep hydrated the next day. Matt Hagen was standing in front of me buying some muscle milk and seen me, said "man take care of this guy first, he looks like he is hurting" then helped me with my stuff. Next day we ran good and had a great day of racing, ran over to tell Matt thanks and took a picture of him with the wife and dogs, such a nice guy.

Last edited:
Great story, thanks for sharing. These guys and gals are all good people.

Even though he has been a genuine threat to JFR's championships, I like Hagen because he is a real person, and one who didn't talk trash when entering the FC fray unlike WB and others (hmmm where are they now?)

Hoffman was a true threat too....not trash talking. I feel the ones who came in like a lion and went out with a whimper were WB, Jerry Toliver and T-Ped

Not sure what you mean by "out with a whimper". Whit clawed his way into the fuel ranks, and is a real old school racer. Toliver brought several new sponsors into the sport and was a contender. Tony did well with Force and on his own as well. All these guys "went out" for (lack of) funding reasons. Lack of money will make any racer whimper, lol.

Nice real life anecdote. As Paul said, "All these folks are good people" - Well, most of 'em anyway<G>.
NHRA fans are so fortunate that we can meet our folks on-the-ground.

Some of the best encounters I've ever had were in the Pro-Stock Bike pits. Antron, Angelle, Karen Stouffer (and I'm not even that big a PSB fan).

TPed is a 2 time Funny Car champion and was in the seat for 20 years. I am sure he would have rather had better results his last couple of seasons ... but there are very few that can claim his accomplishments. Plus, he is still getting paid to be in drag racing. I would hardly call that a "whimper".

Jerry Toliver has forgotten more about racing, both on water and on land, than any of us will ever know. He was an excellent salesman for NHRA to non-traditional sponsors. Dale Armstrong was his crew chief, Dale was not going to waste his time on chumps. Oh yeah, he is Art Chrisman's nephew and he has been around the sport in some capacity his whole life. It is not like he parachuted in and then parachuted out.

Whit was legit too. He had a good career in motorsports photography before he ever got in the seat. Ran his own team and was a hell of a paid shoe. Everyone says we need more characters or people who speak their mind in the sport, and that was Whit.

Like others have said, funding dictated all of their circumstances. They were all good for the sport and we definitely need more like them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back