A little Winter warmup (1 Viewer)

There are so many videos on Youtube, it's amazing. I have a question, I was watching an injected FE dragster fire up and head to the line (I think it was the Woodburn video) and it looked like after they fired the motor, a crewguy put a cover over the stacks, kind of like what you would use to keep stuff out when the car is parked. But the driver headed to the line that way. Any idea what that is for? Is it maybe screened on top?

When I raced/crewed at Woodburn, I knew a few that did that. I think the video you are talking about was Earl Floyd, Mike Floyd driving. I know there are more knowledgeable people on here that could give a good detailed answer.

Could have been, Eric, I'd have to go back and look at the video. I'm kind of new to Youtube, but I enjoy the links that Maters post on here. Except that when I watch one video it leads me to look at a seemingly endless supply of obscure drag racing clips, some modern and many very old, which is very cool but I end up spending way too much time watching! Anyway, the dragster definitely had very tall stacks, like the old days, vs. the real short ones on modern A/NDs. The cover seemed to stretch over the stacks like it had an elastic base. Maybe Buzzz could chime in, I know he has run the tall stack injectors on his FC.

I know what you mean about You Tube videos. They can be very addictive.
When I was working on a J/F digger with my dad we had a leather cover for the stacks. It would come off for the run. I have seen a few people, such as Earl Floyd in the pics I linked, do the burnout with the mesh screen cover.

Here's one for you that I can't find on ANY of the internets:

NBC in 1969 had a monthly show hosted by Sander Vanocer called "First Tuesday". They were producing a feature on Drag Racing and were filming at the long gone Dallas Super Track. They spent a lot of time on the tragic Foster/MT and Gerry Swartz Funny Car crash and concluded something like; "the lust for speed outweighs the revulsion of mechanical slaughter". Apparently they didn't like drag racing too much? I found mention of this show in August 1969 in some newspaper archives on the net, but no film.

Probably the only place it exists is inside NBC or the TV Museum in NYC? If they can find Frank Zappa's appearance on the Steve Allen Show in 1963 (playing a bicycle with Steve and his band) and put it on youtube, they should be able to find ANYTHING!

-90%

There are so many videos on Youtube, it's amazing. I have a question, I was watching an injected FE dragster fire up and head to the line (I think it was the Woodburn video) and it looked like after they fired the motor, a crewguy put a cover over the stacks, kind of like what you would use to keep stuff out when the car is parked. But the driver headed to the line that way. Any idea what that is for? Is it maybe screened on top?

Those types of screens are designed to keep debris and rocks from entering the stacks during the burn out. I did not get a chance to watch the video in question, but often times the crew will pull it back off after the car has backed up and now ready to stage. Current JR/F will do the same thing.

This would not be an issue for Buzzz's car because the body contains the debris where a dragster slings it everywhere! I've been there done that.

Actually guys, that's a pretty simple answer that makes sense. The video only shows the crewguy putting it on the car before the burnout, so it's logical that it's to keep stuff out during the burnout.

Those types of screens are designed to keep debris and rocks from entering the stacks during the burn out. I did not get a chance to watch the video in question, but often times the crew will pull it back off after the car has backed up and now ready to stage. Current JR/F will do the same thing.

This would not be an issue for Buzzz's car because the body contains the debris where a dragster slings it everywhere! I've been there done that.

Yeah...what Bill Said!!!;)

When We ran our Jr Fueler in Cali we would put the screen on the stacks to prevent all the Rocks, Cigarette butts, and such from getting into the injectors..it does not restrict air flow to hamper the burnout, but we remove it right before the car stages....they've been doing this for years!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back