56 Foot Trailers Legal (1 Viewer)

ex-nsp

Nitro Member
Our goofy governor has signed off on legalizing otherwise 49 state legal trailers on California's roads, in case no one else noticed!

Last edited:
Question: are you saying 56' are legal everywhere except CA?
If so, sorry but they aren't legal in WA, except via permit.
Maybe i'm just confused.

56' trailers are illegal in some other states, but those states make permits available for purchase so you can have a 56' trailer. California does not offer this, hence all the issues over the past couple seasons.

56' trailers are illegal in some other states, but those states make permits available for purchase so you can have a 56' trailer. California does not offer this, hence all the issues over the past couple seasons.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mike!!! :)

Prior to this bill, teams were allowed to purchase a special permit to drive on California highways with the 56-foot trailers

I'm essentially CERTAIN you were not allowed to legally bring a 56 foot trailer in (unless you are talking about doing so with the permit the towing company had to tow the Capco trailer out last year).

I know the CompPlus article supports you, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the article is wrong on that point.

Last edited:
Prior to this bill, teams were allowed to purchase a special permit to drive on California highways with the 56-foot trailers

Alot of the truck drivers told me last year at Vegas 2 that they had tried to procure permits but the state of California told them no.

Mike,

The problem for the last few years was that even though California acknowledged that the permit existed, they wouldn't sell you one. This year the teams were forced to have pilot cars to get them in and out, or try to sneak in and take your chances.

If they had sold the permits everybody would have just bought them. Do you really think that DSR paid BIG money to shorten trailers if they could have just bought a permit a couple of times a year?

This is GREAT news for the guys that still have long trailers,

Alan

Alan, never said it was handled the way it was suppose to be. They were there but like always government screws a simple thing up.:D

When does the "new" law take effect?
In time for the Finals?

No one has been able to answer my #1 question, which is:

Why do/did so many teams (NHRA, NASCAR, ect) buy 56's when they're so much of a hassle? Is the extra 3' (over 300 cubic feet-might answer my own ???) really worth all the headaches? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back