4 wide nationals thread (2 Viewers)

Just think of it as two heat races (first and second round) to qualify for the main (final round). Been done in circle track racing for years.

At lunch today a few questions were asked, like why four lanes? One of the responses was that someone was thinking of live TV for the events in the future. That would bring an extra stream of income into the sport, make the events more important to the general public, help grow the sport and with four wide running 3 rounds it would fit into a 3 hour time slot without overworking the race teams.

would it? I didn't see sportscenter cover it. Nor other news stations. Save the local press and one or two national articles, I think a times or usa today article, it didn't seem to get much outside press. I may have missed it.

If the TV view is gonna be as it was here then it will not draw fans to watch it. I was there last year, watched on tv this time. Its great to hear and feel but in person or on tv it is very difficult to watch

Nhra has a poll on their facebook site as of when I looked the results were

I think Four-Wide racing would be awesome if ...
NHRA didn't change a thing; running four-wide for points was great 23%
(36 votes)
NHRA ran four-wide as an exhibition/all-star race, but NOT as a points race 50% (80 votes)
NHRA never ran four-wide again under any circumstance 27% (43 votes)

Nhra has a poll on their facebook site as of when I looked the results were

I think Four-Wide racing would be awesome if ...
NHRA didn't change a thing; running four-wide for points was great 23%
(36 votes)
NHRA ran four-wide as an exhibition/all-star race, but NOT as a points race 50% (80 votes)
NHRA never ran four-wide again under any circumstance 27% (43 votes)

I gotta say I don't put much credence in a "facebook poll". I can't be the only one that avoids facebook....:D

I gotta say I don't put much credence in a "facebook poll". I can't be the only one that avoids facebook....:D

very true. I just thought since it was the nhra site hosting the poll it was of some interest and perhaps had a wider audience then message boards

Admitedly, I didn't read every one of the 247 posts that preceded this one, so if I repeat something that's already been said please accept my apologies.

Let me start by stating simply, I am not a fan of four-wide racing. That said, I'm also not willing to throw Bruton, NHRA or anyone else under the bus for trying something new. Heck, trying new things is what the sport was founded on, isn't it? Didn't that Garlits fella catch A LOT of grief for that rear engine design? I could be mistaken, but I think that turned out alright.

Now, why I'm not a fan.

1. How many casual fans, or first time attendees have you brought to the track and had to explain sportsman raciing to them? Super Comp, Super Gas, etc. are difficult enough to explain. Then there's Comp Eliminator. When trying to explain those categories, it was difficult enough, but you could always say - but wait till the pros get out here, then it's first to the stripe is the winner. Period. So we've taken an already complex sport and made it a little more difficult for the newbie to comprehend. Some old timers are still struggling with the blue lights.

2. Sponsor coverage. Yes, one could argue that a potential sponsor has more of a chance of coming in second place, twice, and still getting air time by running three rounds - heck, that same sponsor's car could even win the race. In NASCAR, and darn near every other roundy round racing for that matter, it's well known and documented that the best car isn't always the one that wins. That's true in Drag Racing too, but this makes it even more possible. But I watched the qualifying show and the race itself and the camera angle is such that you can hardly make out the primary sponsor, much less the associates. And with multi-associate deals becoming more and more common, this problem is exacerbated, isn't it? Granted, I've never sold or negotiated a sponsor package so I may be way off. But if exposure is one of the selling points, I'd think the sponsor would want to be seen.

2. The Robert Hight deal. Sure, could've happened two-wide. It has. It will again. Not the point. No matter what anyone says, and I happen to have a ton of respect for Virgil Hartman, if a driver in the first two rounds of racing doesn't know what the two drivers in the other two lanes are doing, they're going to stay in it to the stripe. As it turned out, Arend and Hight were third and fourth, but at the time Hight had no way of knowing that. If you increase the number of cars, this is a risk you take. With all the discussions about safety the last few years, this is an added risk. Period.

Suggestion: First round produces one winner per round. Second round has one winner per round, but the two quickest cars, overall, that were eliminated get to run in the final. They may both be from one "quad" or maybe from separate quads. This reduces the potential of another Hight incident because it's likely after smoking the tires you'e NOT going to be one of the quickest non-winners. I know it doesn't ELIMINATE the potential because there are pedal-fests, but it does reduce the possibility.

In closing, if four-wide is something that's going to be tried again, I'm for it being non-points generating. If it is going to be points generating, then I'd like to visit an idea that has been discussed here by having tracks that can handle 1,320, race 1,320. Some race to 1,000 and some, if necessary, race to 660'. That opens up quite a few venues that we presently don't reach, and likely expands our sport more than simply going four-wide.

Flame away.

Admitedly, I didn't read every one of the 247 posts that preceded this one, so if I repeat something that's already been said please accept my apologies.

Let me start by stating simply, I am not a fan of four-wide racing. That said, I'm also not willing to throw Bruton, NHRA or anyone else under the bus for trying something new. Heck, trying new things is what the sport was founded on, isn't it? Didn't that Garlits fella catch A LOT of grief for that rear engine design? I could be mistaken, but I think that turned out alright.

Now, why I'm not a fan.

1. How many casual fans, or first time attendees have you brought to the track and had to explain sportsman raciing to them? Super Comp, Super Gas, etc. are difficult enough to explain. Then there's Comp Eliminator. When trying to explain those categories, it was difficult enough, but you could always say - but wait till the pros get out here, then it's first to the stripe is the winner. Period. So we've taken an already complex sport and made it a little more difficult for the newbie to comprehend. Some old timers are still struggling with the blue lights.

2. Sponsor coverage. Yes, one could argue that a potential sponsor has more of a chance of coming in second place, twice, and still getting air time by running three rounds - heck, that same sponsor's car could even win the race. In NASCAR, and darn near every other roundy round racing for that matter, it's well known and documented that the best car isn't always the one that wins. That's true in Drag Racing too, but this makes it even more possible. But I watched the qualifying show and the race itself and the camera angle is such that you can hardly make out the primary sponsor, much less the associates. And with multi-associate deals becoming more and more common, this problem is exacerbated, isn't it? Granted, I've never sold or negotiated a sponsor package so I may be way off. But if exposure is one of the selling points, I'd think the sponsor would want to be seen.

2. The Robert Hight deal. Sure, could've happened two-wide. It has. It will again. Not the point. No matter what anyone says, and I happen to have a ton of respect for Virgil Hartman, if a driver in the first two rounds of racing doesn't know what the two drivers in the other two lanes are doing, they're going to stay in it to the stripe. As it turned out, Arend and Hight were third and fourth, but at the time Hight had no way of knowing that. If you increase the number of cars, this is a risk you take. With all the discussions about safety the last few years, this is an added risk. Period.

Suggestion: First round produces one winner per round. Second round has one winner per round, but the two quickest cars, overall, that were eliminated get to run in the final. They may both be from one "quad" or maybe from separate quads. This reduces the potential of another Hight incident because it's likely after smoking the tires you'e NOT going to be one of the quickest non-winners. I know it doesn't ELIMINATE the potential because there are pedal-fests, but it does reduce the possibility.

In closing, if four-wide is something that's going to be tried again, I'm for it being non-points generating. If it is going to be points generating, then I'd like to visit an idea that has been discussed here by having tracks that can handle 1,320, race 1,320. Some race to 1,000 and some, if necessary, race to 660'. That opens up quite a few venues that we presently don't reach, and likely expands our sport more than simply going four-wide.

Flame away.

Good post Gordon, your right about how confusing this sport can be to First timers! But I do NOT believe anyone has thrown Bruton Smith under the bus! I think he is misguided in assuming that 4 Wide racing is the only way to take this sport to the next level! And I think making that assumtion after just 1 race doesn't make sense IMO!

Good post Gordon, your right about how confusing this sport can be to First timers! But I do NOT believe anyone has thrown Bruton Smith under the bus! I think he is misguided in assuming that 4 Wide racing is the only way to take this sport to the next level! And I think making that assumtion after just 1 race doesn't make sense IMO!

Thank you, Joe. Like I said, I'm not opposed to trying something new - even if I'm not an instant fan. I'm not sure four-wide is the be all end all answer for NHRA, but it's something. I just think there are better ways to market NHRA... either instead of, or in addition to four-wide racing.

Just think of it as two heat races (first and second round) to qualify for the main (final round). Been done in circle track racing for years.

At lunch today a few questions were asked, like why four lanes? One of the responses was that someone was thinking of live TV for the events in the future. That would bring an extra stream of income into the sport, make the events more important to the general public, help grow the sport and with four wide running 3 rounds it would fit into a 3 hour time slot without overworking the race teams.

4 wide on tv was disappointing. I sat down to watch it with an open mind. Thought it was terrible. Wont be any better on live tv. Pretty sure it wont grow the sport. If that is someones first exposure to drag racing they will be confused and bored. Usually agree with you Virgil, but not this time.:(

I honestly didn't enjoy it either. In fact, I didn't watch much of the show after the first couple rounds. "In the air" shots of 4 cars wasn't good for me. If others liked it, fine. I didn't. Won't watch it again, but will find out who won via the computer like I always do.

watching 4-wide elims. on tv......

find out what 4 cars are running (easy to memorize 4 cars in 4 lanes)

watch whatever view the tv gave you - look for the first two across line.

simple.

sorry to disappoint the masses, i enjoyed it.

That's cool. You did and I didn't. Everyone is different. It wasn't that I didn't understand it or was confused by it, I just didn't like it. I had an open mind about it too, almost bought tickets to go but couldn't do it.

watching 4-wide elims. on tv......

find out what 4 cars are running (easy to memorize 4 cars in 4 lanes)

watch whatever view the tv gave you - look for the first two across line.

simple.

sorry to disappoint the masses, i enjoyed it.

That's cool. You did and I didn't. Everyone is different. It wasn't that I didn't understand it or was confused by it, I just didn't like it. I had an open mind about it too, almost bought tickets to go but couldn't do it.

I agree with both of you. It was simple enough to follow for me. There were a few runs that were pretty close at the strip with 3 cars. That was cool.
It was hard to tell what happened to any of the cars if the run was not perfect. Case in point is the Hagan deal. I think if it was at a different track we might have had different angles of the explosion.
I was not in love with it, but not at the "I will never watch any race again" extreme either.
Just my $.02 and more.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back