4 Lane 'drag Strip' (1 Viewer)

TOOLMAN

Nitro Member
Looks like Hump's getting ready for prime time TV. A extra lane in case of oil down will keep the show on the road. Hump's always comes up with great ideas and this one hits #1.
I am not sure about date of the race, Indy to Charlotte and back to Dallas,Memphis then back to Richmond then Vegas. That is a lot of fuel and road time. I am sure they could organize these races to be more cost effective for the teams. Maybe get to 30 races a year:cool:

Looks like Hump's getting ready for prime time TV. A extra lane in case of oil down will keep the show on the road. Hump's always comes up with great ideas and this one hits #1.
I am not sure about date of the race, Indy to Charlotte and back to Dallas,Memphis then back to Richmond then Vegas. That is a lot of fuel and road time. I am sure they could organize these races to be more cost effective for the teams. Maybe get to 30 races a year:cool:

He thought of that in Vegas when he built it too! Never happen, too hard to prep 4 lanes equally!

I read that too although the idea of 4 lanes to reduce down time because of oil downs is a interesting one. How would that work? ... Seems to me one set of the lanes would be more utilized during an event and then if an oil down happens how much difference would it be to switch to the other lanes? What about the site lines for viewing the race? They would have to have a wall between the two sets of lanes Or am I envisioning this wrong?

Also, how you gonna clean the oiled lane safely with cars running in the spare lanes? And how are you going to keep the oil and other debris out of the unused lanes? The trackside observers have a tough enough time spotting everything on two lanes - four will move them further from the action and they will have to check all four lanes for debris instead of just two.

An announcement of the event, set for the Sept. 11-14 slot listed as "TBA" on the NHRA schedule

i swear people can find ways to dis anything. who cares if its 8 lanes? its a brand new dragstip which will get lots of press for drag racing. this bruton guy is a well respected BIG time racing guy with $$$$ and he is building a dragstrip for an nhra sanctioned race. why not just enjoy and hope that he does more in the future. drag race fans should hope this guy falls in love with drag racing.. he is a promoter. just saying....

The coolest thing about 4 lanes, would be to line them up 4 at a time...................

National Speedway (L.I., N.Y.) used to run the bracket cars 4 wide- got some old home movies of that...:eek:

There was a track in Md. that ran a few early- mid 70's F/C shows 4 wide as well, but I think it was only burnouts; racing was still 2 cars...

i swear people can find ways to dis anything. who cares if its 8 lanes? its a brand new dragstip which will get lots of press for drag racing. this bruton guy is a well respected BIG time racing guy with $$$$ and he is building a dragstrip for an nhra sanctioned race. why not just enjoy and hope that he does more in the future. drag race fans should hope this guy falls in love with drag racing.. he is a promoter. just saying....

People need to open their minds and accept new ideas, believe me Hump will figure out a way to make it work.:)

Didn't 42 have four lanes or am I thinking of another track?

I don't see four lanes happening for a current track. Can you imagine the btching about which lane who could run. Say lanes 1 and 2 are the main lanes and 3 and 4 are the backup lanes. Wait till somebody run better in the backup lane. You'd never hear the end of it. With the countdown and the new qualifying deal, do we need to confuse things more by adding more lanes?

Dave

I read that too although the idea of 4 lanes to reduce down time because of oil downs is a interesting one. How would that work? ... Seems to me one set of the lanes would be more utilized during an event and then if an oil down happens how much difference would it be to switch to the other lanes? What about the site lines for viewing the race? They would have to have a wall between the two sets of lanes Or am I envisioning this wrong?

The way I envision the track is there would be a foul line just like the centerline between lanes on each side. They would treat them the same, maybe run sportsman classes on outside lanes in qualifying and pros in center lanes, hell who knows it make the lanes more consistent:cool:.

Ahhhhhhhh..........lane choice :D:D
Hope it happens. My guess is it would be to get through the round that is running without delay. Then clean the lanes:).

Rick, 4 lane track sounds like a Great idea! But why do you think teams run 4 qualifying sessions, to learn what each lane wants. How can you qualify using 4 lanes, let these guys run 8 qualifying sessions? Using a lane after an oildown that doesn't have nearly the rubber on it would NEVER work! That is why Bruton scraped the 4 lane idea for Vegas.

By the way, Burton Smith Is Not 'Hump'.

Even A 'quick' lane clean up takes 10-15 minutes and there are no 'commercials' at the track...

d'kid

Dave Mcclelland's take on a four lane dragstrip. The reason I posted it is because I agree with it. If you've got track workers cleaning up one set of lanes, there's no way you can safely send another pair down the other lanes without putting the workers at risk. Insurance companies will take one look at this and say "Uh uh. No cars go down with poeple on any part of the track." That would negate the usefulness of four lanes in a hurry. Plus, my eyesight isn't that good now. If the action is in the far lanes, I'm gonna need binocs to see anything.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back