2024 Schedule (1 Viewer)

Franklin is on record saying he didn't make money hosting a national event. Not sure what that NHRA is willing to do to change that.
The splits between the track and NHRA are severely out of balance. From what I understand, and anyone feel free to correct me, out of the 100% made, NHRA gets 50% right off the top. Then, all expenses for the event come out of the last 50% and the track gets whatever remains. Also, tracks can charge for parking...not sure how the concessions work...I am quite sure I am off on this....I sure hope I am

Tracks can charge for parking, especially Nat'l events and costly food at the track. Also underdstand that food trucks come to the track & have to split the profits with the track.
I might be mistaken because it has been a few years. At VMP the 1st year they did charge for parking. I can't remember if they charged the 2nd year of those 5 years total.

But ultimately, they did NOT charge for years 3,4, and 5, that I know for sure.

Point being, for reasons I don't know and didn't ask, they stopped charging for parking for year 3,4, and 5. My guess is it was backing up traffic. But I don't know that for sure and I also Idon't remember if ticket prices went up to compensate the difference.

So basically, a useless post. :p

Let’s see, what have we lost this year. Houston, Phoenix, Denver, Topeka. Is that all or have I missed one? Writing’s on the wall for Seattle and Sonoma unless they can get more than 13 pro fuel cars to show up…

Unless Seattle and Sonoma have packed grandstands. Seems like folks are taking a renewed interest in getting out and watching these events in person, which is a very very good thing.

Let’s see, what have we lost this year. Houston, Phoenix, Denver, Topeka. Is that all or have I missed one? Writing’s on the wall for Seattle and Sonoma unless they can get more than 13 pro fuel cars to show up…
Expect Phoenix to be back on the 2024 schedule. i Have heard multiple things from almost everyone around NHRA that is more likely going to happen. It might be a fluid situation from year to year but not gone yet.

Hope this doesn't across in a bad way and I hate seeing so many track closures of late. But I wonder if this would be an opportunity for the Franklins/VMP to work together to get back on the schedule in Richmond.
I was thinking the same thing. I hope they can reach an agreement that satisfies both parties.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope they can reach an agreement that satisfies both parties.
That is excellent news. I wonder what the solution to all this is, if there is one. NHRA needs more sponsors so they can compensate the tracks more for these national events? Not sure how a track can lose $$ on a national event, unless it’s just kind of a raw deal in the first place.

I say this knowing very little about how all this actually works. We would all benefit from more information here.

Last edited:
1690589681183.png

Betty, do you think we will be racing at Seattle or Sonoma next year? I don't know Edith. I heard that Denver is coming back for one more year in 2024 and Phoenix will get 2 National Events next year and they are moving the Gatornationals to Chicago and Edith
I also heard that this is the last year for the U.S. Nationals, Betty you are just being silly now, we will just wait for the schedule to
come out during the U.S. Nationals, Labor Day weekend. Ok, Edith but did you hear the one about all of the Bruton Smith tracks..................

Last edited:
My understanding was that a lot of the dispute had to do with the improvements NHRA wanted the track to make. The owners did not want to incur the expense for one event.

Jim

Unless Seattle and Sonoma have packed grandstands. Seems like folks are taking a renewed interest in getting out and watching these events in person, which is a very very good thing.
So what there were 13 fuel cars, Seattle was pretty well attended last weekend. Seattle and Sonoma aren't going anywhere. Plenty of other events than just the NHRA National races are run that those two facilities.

Even the Lucas Oil races are not as attractive to track owners as they used to be. The demands of the NHRA make them less profitable and appealing than they once were. Several tracks have quit having them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back