2024 Schedule (1 Viewer)

Professional Fan

Nitro Member
Looks like season will start March 7 in Gainesville. Received renewal notice with the date yesterday. Will be interesting
to see how the schedule shakes out with questions about Wild Horse and Joliet and no Denver. I suppose we will have to wait until
Indy for rest of details unless other stops leak out.

The World Series of Pro Mod has already been announced for March 1-3, 2024, and we could assume it will still be the week before the Gatornationals, so that seems to be accurate

I guess there is no longer a real Winternats at Pomona.
Sad. At least NHRA can't take are memories from us!

1690332738837.png

It's early Feb,1975 NHRA Winternationals. AA/FD "Hibbard & McCarthy" Ray Stutz in the seat.
Snow on Mount Baldy and a Chevy on nitro, just bitchin!

Last edited:
Moving the Winter Nationals from February was a great idea. Every year it was always some type of weather related problem plus the teams not having to back and forth is a good move.
Both times I was at Pomona winternats it rained like hell. Maybe a good move. But that track needs 2 events, I hope they give it to them. Prob. not gonna happen since that track is in trouble already, which is a shame/

Both times I was at Pomona winternats it rained like hell. Maybe a good move. But that track needs 2 events, I hope they give it to them. Prob. not gonna happen since that track is in trouble already, which is a shame/
"huh?"

Last edited:
Hope this doesn't across in a bad way and I hate seeing so many track closures of late. But I wonder if this would be an opportunity for the Franklins/VMP to work together to get back on the schedule in Richmond.
Love to see vmp back on,that is the smoothest track ive ever seen. Nhra is to greedy from what i hear tho,imagine that lol

If Pomona does not start the season, Can it be incorporated in the western swing? Maybe make eliminations a night time event? I recall long time ago, St Louis had nighttime eliminations. Would like to see NHRA keep at least 22 events on the schedule. Something tells me its going to be down to 16-18 in the next 5 years. What ever happened to Tulsa?

"huh?"

Yeah, I was just reading about this recently. Unfortunately there’s been a very active rumor mill about the fate of Pomona. To me, it seems like that spells trouble. Same ole crap you always hear. Property values, noise, traffic etc. I had previously read both those articles above, and I was really surprised that anyone was even discussing Pomona. NHRA has pushed back nicely and said “Pomona isn’t going ANYWHERE”. Hope In&out (and others) will step up for multiple years.

Hope this doesn't across in a bad way and I hate seeing so many track closures of late. But I wonder if this would be an opportunity for the Franklins/VMP to work together to get back on the schedule in Richmond.
Franklin is on record saying he didn't make money hosting a national event. Not sure what that NHRA is willing to do to change that.

Franklin is on record saying he didn't make money hosting a national event. Not sure what that NHRA is willing to do to change that.
The NHRA/Track split of national event monies is the main reason that the Napps (Englishtown) decided to turn down NHRA to host the Summernationals and added with declining participation and attendance at weekly races stop drag racing at the facility.

Franklins/VMP....I'm just a peon and have no direct association with drag racing other than being a fan. I do have a small business relationship with them not related to drag racing. They are really good people and if they say it wasn't cost effective then you can believe it.

I would imagine the planning and upfront costs it would take for a national event of that size is considerable. My own personal opinion, VMP really got stuck behind the eight ball.

2018: (first year back in Richmond) I only went on Sunday and the place was packed. I can't remember if weather was an issue for Fri/Sat.
2019: Went all three days. It was awesome. Brought like 20 peeps with me for Sunday. Weather was good. A little bit hot.
2020:COVID
2021;COVID
2022: I went all 3 days and weather impacted all three days in some form.

On good weather days the crowds are usually pretty good. The closest National Event not in Richmond, would be wither Charlotte, Bristol, or PA. None really all the close to VA.

I have no idea what the contract with NHRA was. I can only assume that unless all three days have a no rain, then the odds of making money are pretty low. If you break even, then you lost money.

I really hope they can work out a new deal and come back to VMP. But I do go for some PDRA racing.

Franklins/VMP....I'm just a peon and have no direct association with drag racing other than being a fan. I do have a small business relationship with them not related to drag racing. They are really good people and if they say it wasn't cost effective then you can believe it.

I would imagine the planning and upfront costs it would take for a national event of that size is considerable. My own personal opinion, VMP really got stuck behind the eight ball.

2018: (first year back in Richmond) I only went on Sunday and the place was packed. I can't remember if weather was an issue for Fri/Sat.
2019: Went all three days. It was awesome. Brought like 20 peeps with me for Sunday. Weather was good. A little bit hot.
2020:COVID
2021;COVID
2022: I went all 3 days and weather impacted all three days in some form.

On good weather days the crowds are usually pretty good. The closest National Event not in Richmond, would be wither Charlotte, Bristol, or PA. None really all the close to VA.

I have no idea what the contract with NHRA was. I can only assume that unless all three days have a no rain, then the odds of making money are pretty low. If you break even, then you lost money.

I really hope they can work out a new deal and come back to VMP. But I do go for some PDRA racing.
While I know none of the financials, but if you only make let’s say $5k profit, is a National event worth it? Probably not if you can run another race and make $3k. Plus you throw in a weather issue, the risk isn’t worth the reward. To me it seems like every PDRA or even MWDRS race had weather issues. I don’t follow it closely but it seems to happen a lot.

Treacks can charge for parking, especially Nat'l events and costly food at the track. Also underdstand that food trucks come to the track & have to split the profits with the track.

The NHRA/Track split of national event monies is the main reason that the Napps (Englishtown) decided to turn down NHRA to host the Summernationals and added with declining participation and attendance at weekly races stop drag racing at the facility.
It's a bad situation when you can make more money leasing your pit area out as a parking lot than you can running a drag strip.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back