2009 Outlook (2 Viewers)

How did going 0 to 200 relate back in '64? What did the Slingshot Top Fueler in the 60's have in Common with any Street car, nothing I can tell! This sport is about Power and acceleration, Pure and Simple! And suprising as it may seem to some, that remains the Main draw.

Joe,
First,
They were built with engines that you could get almost anywhere, from a car dealer to a 'junk yard', modified with parts from your local parts store/speed shop. Blowers were Real Roots 6/71's. The rear ends, for the most part were modified 57 Olds... and yes, it was Olds, vs Chevy, vs Chrysler, vs Ford, vs Poncho... based on their best Street motors, and what was found on the strip was 'transfered' back to Detroit, and the OEM's were involved, either through the front door, or the back door... And It Sold Cars. We have Floppers because of Factory involvement. And as the cars lost their 'street' relationship, Pro Stock came into being.

We came dang close to loosing Nitro a second time in the mid-70's... what stopped it was Jim and The AHRA... I really think that's why Wally disliked Jim so much.

Second,
It's About The Show Today, not pure power. It's about Spec Blocks, Spec Heads, Spec this and Spec that, to keep a level playing field... even Spec Fuel...

But you didn't hear a word I said. This isn't about 45 years ago, this isn't about ten years ago... this isn't even about next year.

This is about Fifteen to Twenty years from now... and if the PC crowd has their way I can see private autos being just short of illegal. I smoke, I have for 40 years, the same people that want to make that 'bad habit' illegal are going to be looking at motor sports soon, have you not seen the "GREEN" push on cars? Would anyone here have thought fifteen years ago the there would be Hybrid-cars on the street today? That the corn crops would be used to make fuel instead of hush puppies or corn bread and Lima beans and ham hocks?

And not once have I said this is what I want. This is more what I fear. And given the odds based on my Bad Habits, including breathing the 'yellow cloud'
I don't expect to be around in 2025 to see it...

d'kid

Last edited:
Don't laugh Tim. yer probably too young to remember but it wouldn't be the first time nhra banned nitro. Last time it lasted 5 or 6 years. :eek:

Yeah the NHRA Banned Nitro back on April 1st, 1957. It wasn't until 1962 when Lions Drag strip lifted the ban that things started to cool out. The NHRA finally lifted the ban in 63' just in time for the Winternationals. But that was all about "SAFETY"...... I just don't believe this will happen again in the next few years. If they can slow the cars down to running 4.80's/ 4.70's @ 300 in the 1320, make improvements on Parachute safety and make every sand trap simular to the one at Indy and we should be ok!

What scares me more is that the system is made by Micro$oft. :eek:

Wow imagine the po'd driver when he gets the blue screen of death, coming out of the last turn on the last lap while leading the race:D Could lead to some intersting finishes though as drivers hop out and push the cars to the finish line while the system does a reboot lol

How did going 0 to 200 relate back in '64? What did the Slingshot Top Fueler in the 60's have in Common with any Street car, nothing I can tell! This sport is about Power and acceleration, Pure and Simple! And suprising as it may seem to some, that remains the Main draw.

Factor in the atmosphere of the country, including that it was closer to having come out of WWII. Like Karl said, that fuel racing was done with mostly factory iron parts.

As far as the draw goes, I know when local tracks were packed and a lot of us are convinced we know what packed them.

I think when a lot of people think about drawing new people to the track, they forget to include the mentality of a newbie, that they may not be as concerned with current ETs and MPH as you are. Noise, fire, and smoke.

I know how big drag racing seemed to me in the 70s. I recently came across an old photo of myself as a teenager. The T-shirt I wore had a funny car and across the bottom it read Drag Racing. America's #1 Sport. I was always surprised at how the sport seemed to be shunned by the general media.

I wonder how little will be known about it in as little as 100 years. We might not want to know.

Does anyone do time capsules anymore? Who should we have popping out of one? :D Maybe we should do one that includes DNA samples.

Oops. That's hijacking the thread clear to 2109. :rolleyes: How many digits will mater posts counts go out to by then? Will descendants of the same people who argue now be arguing then? :D

Nostalgia funny cars then would be modeled after cars we haven't even seen yet! It will be "rumored" that they were once made of fiberglass, probably what will be another illegal substance.

Last edited:
didn't Canada make some restriction several years ago?? Wasn't that part of the reason NHRA left Le GrandNationals back in the day? Now I know IHRA goes there a couple of times now so maybe something has changed

Nitrohaulic,

Your last line; I hope our decedents are, in regards to the 25th Annual Luna Nationals.
(EDIT) Edit your Post while I'm writing mine GEEZZZ RON

I painted the pessimistic vision of where I see us heading without trying to get too political. I hope I'm DEAD WRONG.

d'kid

Last edited:
Nitrohaulic,

Your last line; I hope our decedents are, in regards to the 25th Annual Luna Nationals.
(EDIT) Edit your Post while I'm writing mine GEEZZZ RON

I painted the pessimistic vision of where I see us heading without trying to get too political. I hope I'm DEAD WRONG.

d'kid

I don't really consider it editing if I'm just adding to what's already there. ;)

I figure I'm being efficient. Adding to that post instead of starting another and wasting even more valuable bandwidth. :D

Oh, I can see 100 years from now. Evil conservatives will be trying to get Draconian tax cuts passed to get us from 98% to 97%. Liberals will be screaming "Just how much do you NEED?" Hell, I think we should be KEEPING 97-98% of our money!

Last edited:
didn't Canada make some restriction several years ago?? Wasn't that part of the reason NHRA left Le GrandNationals back in the day? Now I know IHRA goes there a couple of times now so maybe something has changed

I believe that NHRA dropped the Canada event because the Canadian government were being d!cks over NHRA bringing in the leaded gas. The NHRA even said they will truck it in and leave with it, but the government wouldn't budge.

I believe that NHRA dropped the Canada event because the Canadian government were being d!cks over NHRA bringing in the leaded gas. The NHRA even said they will truck it in and leave with it, but the government wouldn't budge.

I thought it was something fuel related but couldn't remember what, thanks

Wow! Reading this thread is not a good way to start your Monday morning :eek:

It is my opinion that we are going through a rough spell, just as we have in the past. It is all a part of the roller coaster with its many ups and downs. We can ride it out like we have in the past and if we are lucky, some badly needed changes may result.

As for me, I like the roller coaster..........

Now in the words of a wise man, c'mon new track in Carolina and:
Fire the next pair!!

I'm always an optimist, but going into '09, it looks bad for the nitro cars. UPS, Rockstar, Monster, CSK, all reportedly leaving, and I just read at DRO that there's a rumor of Snake's deal coming to an end. They already quit the showdown. Anybody have any good news?

WOW!...
The car counts are low now, just imagine what it's going to be like when all of these players take a leave of absence.

They'd all better start looking for a "Sheik" with deep pockets, or AJ will be racing by himself.

Larry

WOW!...
The car counts are low now, just imagine what it's going to be like when all of these players take a leave of absence.

They'd all better start looking for a "Sheik" with deep pockets, or AJ will be racing by himself.

Larry

Maybe Jeff Burk is right afterall, TF and FC could be 8 car fields by this time next year!:rolleyes:

Factor in the atmosphere of the country, including that it was closer to having come out of WWII. Like Karl said, that fuel racing was done with mostly factory iron parts.

As far as the draw goes, I know when local tracks were packed and a lot of us are convinced we know what packed them.

I think when a lot of people think about drawing new people to the track, they forget to include the mentality of a newbie, that they may not be as concerned with current ETs and MPH as you are. Noise, fire, and smoke.

Noise, fire, and smoke.....you bet ! I've been insane for nitro ever since I saw Garlits and Ivo match race at a little strip in Van Wert, Ohio in the late 60's.Every year I make it a point to take a new nitro-virgin to the Big Go in Indy....and every single person I take is just blown away...cant wait to go again ! Lets do everything possible to make the cars and tracks as safe as can be.....but STOP neutering the nitro cars....they are what most fans come to watch ! Just watch ticket sales go down drain if the 1000 ft. thing is still here next season (every single hardcore fan that I know tells me they will NEVER attend another 1000 ft. event....myself included).I'm sure that somewhere way down the road the PC police will ban motor sports....I just hope I'm down for the dirt nap when it happens !

Sponsorship is not cheap. You either believe:

1. There is a return on your investment

2. You just don't care because you love the sport

3. You believe that winning is good and losing is not worth paying for.

4. The sport has upward momentum.

Most corporate sponsors fall into the #1, #3 and #4 categories.

Drag racing is currently on a down cycle. Gas is expensive. Fatalities have forced things to happen (rightly so) that are not fun... ala 1000' races.

I am sure that at some point the cycle will reverse. But for now... times are tough. And I expect them to get worse before they get better.

The only good news about down cycles is that it forces everyone to closely examine their business (or sport in this case) and figure out what to make better.

I am a drag racing optimist in a down cycle. But don't expect more good news than bad for some time. It is just not realistic.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your insight! I have felt for a while now that with the economy the way it is right now that everything we are seeing could turn around once the economy rights its self.

Thanks for your dedication to the sport for all of these years!

Jim,

Thanks for your insight! I have felt for a while now that with the economy the way it is right now that everything we are seeing could turn around once the economy rights its self.

Thanks for your dedication to the sport for all of these years!

I haven't read every post on this thread, but did JJ specify which one of the Four he considers himself?:rolleyes:

Everything goes in cycles. And there are good things to point to. Bruton Smith is about to unveil yet another brand-new, first class dragstrip. Having someone like him bullish on our sport is a huge positive. To me, this season has looked like the crowds have been strong, in spite of a hurting economy and insane fuel costs. But like JJ stated, things may get worse before they get better, and the powers-that-be that run the big show need to be proactive to develop a plan for the future. I have a feeling that even when the cycle turns, teams won't find it easy to land sponsors willing to foot a 2 or 3 or more million dollar budget. What makes me say that? Think of the boom cycles we have been through, it's still never been easy. The non-automotive sponsors have been onesy-twosy in drag racing, and haven't stayed long (except for the few obvious ones). So I have to disagree that trying to cut costs is fruitless, I don't think there's a choice, or as stated above, A.J. will be racing by himself before too long.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back