2009 Outlook (1 Viewer)

Come on Buzz,

I know your a smart guy. But in the current state, it wouldn't happen. Your post represents one of living in a dream world. (Not by any means saying you are) But this would be a fantasy for some racers. May be spots, but who's got the money to get the gear together in the first place? Unless the A/Fullers just jumped in... It's not going to happen!!! If it was so simple to fill some spots, then maybe some of the IHRA tour would try take a shot. Not happening! For example...

FC gets 13 cars showing up... Jay Payne thinks "Hmm numbers are low in FC, maybe ill source some gear and go compete"

Sorry Buzz, but even I think you know this is a bit far fetched.

I get your point, that spots will always be filled, but in 2008/2009 life is just not that easy. If only it was... ;)

Regards,

Michael

Back in the 70's I crewed on a BB/FC in Div#3. Many times we could show up Sunday AM at a points meet and run our BB/FC in the AA/FC We even ran a round or two the payout for 1st round loser was equal to runner up in BB/FC. It was just a $$$ thing for us, 2 runs 1 to qualify and 1 to race = a better bottom line.

Joe,

Fifteen years from now, I don't believe there will be Nitro or Alky (at least as we know them today) cars at National Events. I see Top Electric and Top Hydrogen. No Long Smoky Burnouts because of air quality issues, No un-muffled engines, no yellow clouds in the pits... not even pit access for fans...

I believe the sport we grew up loving is in it's death rattles now, the patient has died doctor, we just haven't told him yet. There will still be Nitro cars at 'Outlaw' tracks in the middle of the night.

Personal transportation will have no relation to what we have today... more than likely little two passenger, three wheel runabouts.

d'kid

If that even comes close to reality, then ALL Motorsports will be as good as gone!

Jim nailed it, the loan industry. We are seeing people come into work to buy a new car and cant get a loan. Had a guy late week that wanted to buy a new chevrolet truck, owned a home, on the same job for more than 5 years, and had a credit score of 750 and couldnt get a loan. As soon as the credit industry realizes what they are in business for we will be fine.

I can see NHRA possibly going the route of NASCAR with multiple sponsors for the year. Instead of a single sponsor for $10 mil, you will have 3-4 races per sponsor.

Kyle Busch - M&M's main sponsor, Combos, Pedigree, Snickers, etc..

Sure, you might get really lucky and get finance companies, insurance companies, more beer companies, and more facets of the tobacco industry to make the NHRA even more commercialized than it already is. And you can fill your living rooms with cheezy "limited edition" NHRA collectibles, and you can buy a ticket and wander through your favorite drag strip with a cold McDonald's burger in one hand and a warm Coke in the other, while trying to explain how great bracket racing is to people who don't care because they know what real racing is. And you can try to explain to your co-workers why you actually like what the NHRA has allowed itself to evolve into, as you try to teach people who grew up on grass-roots racing how if they try really hard, they can learn to relate to multi-million-dollar teams who race kit cars. While you're at it, you can explain why it was better for the NHRA to turn their back on decades of tradition and shorten the tracks, instead of going to a narrower tire and/or a shorter rear gear. Then you can spend more money than it used to cost to build a Junior Fuel car on a Briggs and Stratton flathead-powered Jr. dragster, and raise your kids to support the NHRA too. Who knows? You might have a budding bracket racer in your family. Wouldn't that make you proud?

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Roadsters.com

Sure, you might get really lucky and get finance companies, insurance companies, more beer companies, and more facets of the tobacco industry to make the NHRA even more commercialized than it already is. And you can fill your living rooms with cheezy "limited edition" NHRA collectibles, and you can buy a ticket and wander through your favorite drag strip with a cold McDonald's burger in one hand and a warm Coke in the other, while trying to explain how great bracket racing is to people who don't care because they know what real racing is. And you can try to explain to your co-workers why you actually like what the NHRA has allowed itself to evolve into, as you try to teach people who grew up on grass-roots racing how if they try really hard, they can learn to relate to multi-million-dollar teams who race kit cars. While you're at it, you can explain why it was better for the NHRA to turn their back on decades of tradition and shorten the tracks, instead of going to a narrower tire and/or a shorter rear gear. Then you can spend more money than it used to cost to build a Junior Fuel car on a Briggs and Stratton flathead-powered Jr. dragster, and raise your kids to support the NHRA too. Who knows? You might have a budding bracket racer in your family. Wouldn't that make you proud?

Dave Mann
(602) 233-8400
Roadsters.com

The economy is slow and times are tuff....so why not piss off all the old time fans like myself with the 1000 ft crap ! Rev limiters, the Countdown,1000 ft.racing....omg how much more can I take ? I've heard that soapbox derby racing is very safe and very PC ! wtf

Joe,

Fifteen years from now, I don't believe there will be Nitro or Alky (at least as we know them today) cars at National Events. I see Top Electric and Top Hydrogen. No Long Smoky Burnouts because of air quality issues, No un-muffled engines, no yellow clouds in the pits... not even pit access for fans...

I believe the sport we grew up loving is in it's death rattles now, the patient has died doctor, we just haven't told him yet. There will still be Nitro cars at 'Outlaw' tracks in the middle of the night.

Personal transportation will have no relation to what we have today... more than likely little two passenger, three wheel runabouts.

d'kid

We gave up horses as our main mode of transportation about 100 years ago, but there are numerous very vibrant forms of horse racing, a wide range of horse shows, and a very lively horse hobby.

Recessions come and go, and we'll get through it like we always have in the past.
Inflation will turn to Deflation and the whole entire mess will start up again.
We need to capitulate first....and it's coming soon enough.
Just be ready with the $$'s if you can ride this out......Sponsor's will jump back in when the visabilty is clearer on direction.
In the meantime, Do some sit up's, walk the dog, mow the lawn, clean out your freakin garage....or do something nice for somebody.
Drag Racing ain't going anywhere........I HOPE!

If that even comes close to reality, then ALL Motorsports will be as good as gone!

It is already beginning. Next year in Formula 1, all cars will be equipped with a KERS (kinetic energy recovery system = regenerative braking) which will basically make all F1 cars hybrids. In 2009 the F1 car must derive 10% of it's power from the KERS system, a 60kW electric motor. In the future, the percentage of power derived from the KERS will be increased. The KERS system is monitored by a standard ECU for all cars made by Microsoft.

Last edited:
I can see NHRA possibly going the route of NASCAR with multiple sponsors for the year. Instead of a single sponsor for $10 mil, you will have 3-4 races per sponsor.

Mars Inc. owns all of the brands sponsoring Kyle's Sprint Cup car, so they aren't all individual sponsorships

Cheryl - multi car NASCAR teams have "Business Development" divisions with multiple employees. They are armed with verifiable statistics, graphics departments that can produce a proposal very quickly and resources to provide a potential sponsor with VIP treatment. The people who head these divisions literally keep NASCAR running.
This isn't going to happen in NHRA because: 1. TV coverage statistics are miserable and 2. NHRA teams just can't compete with this kind of marketing firepower for a very short list of potential sponsors.

I think these are stressful times for the NHRA. Times that deserve a good look at all options and ways to make things better. While I think the management has done many things recently, there is more work to do... just like any business.

Times are not just difficult for drag racing. Try selling your home right now. Or buying one and getting a loan. This economic situation has everyone scrambling to "re-think" their situation. Sponsorships, advertising, product development and spending of any kind is under scrutiny like never before... well, not like the last several years anyway. I would expect to see sponsorships lost and difficult to replace. Dark clouds on the horizon. But I also believe that the sport has value and staying power. Things will get better, but the economy will need to turn. I am old enough to have seen all this stuff before. Fear and greed. Were are in a fear-phase right now. They always pass.

Jim

Boy you ain't kidding Jim!
Now that the government has taken over Fannie May and Freddie Mac it should cost the american tax payer a pretty penny in the nieghborhood of 25 Billion which is projected. I know a lot of people will complain but the alternative would be devastation to our economy if they didn't.
It is a very difficult time for this country so much so it has affected other countries stock markets.

Joe,

d'kid

B@LLS@@T Karl! Not as long as I'm around this won't happen! :cool: I would rather die than accept this as my future!

Timmah!

Don't laugh Tim. yer probably too young to remember but it wouldn't be the first time nhra banned nitro. Last time it lasted 5 or 6 years. :eek:

It is already beginning. Next year in Formula 1, all cars will be equipped with a KERS (kinetic energy recovery system = regenerative braking) which will basically make all F1 cars hybrids. In 2009 the F1 car must derive 10% of it's power from the KERS system, a 60kW electric motor. In the future, the percentage of power derived from the KERS will be increased. The KERS system is monitored by a standard ECU for all cars made by Microsoft.

What scares me more is that the system is made by Micro$oft. :eek:

Don't laugh Tim. yer probably too young to remember but it wouldn't be the first time nhra banned nitro. Last time it lasted 5 or 6 years. :eek:

and if it wasn't for Jim Tice and the AHRA, they would never have brought it back... That is why the 'Outlaw' tracks...

Auto Racing Will become very Non-PC, and be seen by the general public as a gratuitous waste of resources. As it is now, Auto Racing is seen as R&D for safety and efficiency... at least in most forms of the sport, in relationship to the consumer auto. Endurance Racing, Rally, Off-Road, even Indy cars and F-1, the technology is transferable to the modern automobile.

Drag Racing does none of these. We're not even allowed to use computer controls in the cars, no electronic suspension, no electronic fuel management. Heck, even the tires we use have little that is transferable to street cars. What are we contributing to the Modern street car? How does going 0 to 300 mph in 4 seconds relate?

Our Chassis Material Specs. are based on Mil Specs for Air Frames that are over 50 years old, not counting phrasing and welding revisions. They deny stronger and safer materials.

Ours is a sport based on egos, like the stick and ball sports. Believe me, I do love this sport and have for over 45 years. But, for it to survive and grow, we need to be more 'relevant' to what is happening outside the sport. Unless we do, we will always be a nitch sport without a main stream following.

d'kid

Auto Racing Will become very Non-PC, and be seen by the general public as a gratuitous waste of resources. As it is now, Auto Racing is seen as R&D for safety and efficiency... at least in most forms of the sport, in relationship to the consumer auto. Endurance Racing, Rally, Off-Road, even Indy cars and F-1, the technology is transferable to the modern automobile.

Drag Racing does none of these. We're not even allowed to use computer controls in the cars, no electronic suspension, no electronic fuel management. Heck, even the tires we use have little that is transferable to street cars. What are we contributing to the Modern street car? How does going 0 to 300 mph in 4 seconds relate?

How did going 0 to 200 relate back in '64? What did the Slingshot Top Fueler in the 60's have in Common with any Street car, nothing I can tell! This sport is about Power and acceleration, Pure and Simple! And suprising as it may seem to some, that remains the Main draw.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back