2 oil downs, 3.5 hr cleanup (1 Viewer)

I go here every year and its a 50/50 shot that I'm packing up early and heading home due to long cleanups. I hope that is not the case today. Its 65 degrees right now and should be around 75 this afternoon, and probably 50 tonight for the Night of Fire. Possiblitity of dew on the track, which was also a factor last night.

If the cars keep running, the heat stays in the track and dew is not a problem.

The first oildown last night shut the track down for an hour and it cooled off considerably. The second took 2.5 hours to clean up, from starting line to turnoff, from the wall to the centerline. We figure it was around 3.5 acres of oiled surface - oil was dripping from the wall and the centerline timing reflectors. You could see the oil spurting from the engine as the car went down the track. By the time we left the track, windshield wipers were required to keep the dew off the windshield and I am sure the racing surface would have been damp even if they had been able to finish the oil cleanup.

If the cars keep running, the heat stays in the track and dew is not a problem.

The first oildown last night shut the track down for an hour and it cooled off considerably. The second took 2.5 hours to clean up, from starting line to turnoff, from the wall to the centerline. We figure it was around 3.5 acres of oiled surface - oil was dripping from the wall and the centerline timing reflectors. You could see the oil spurting from the engine as the car went down the track. By the time we left the track, windshield wipers were required to keep the dew off the windshield and I am sure the racing surface would have been damp even if they had been able to finish the oil cleanup.
Did he have a 55 gal. oil pan? That sounds like one of the worst oil downs, ever!

May not have been the worst ever, but it's in contention for that honor. The relatively cold track just made it that much harder to clean it up.

maybe ned should just get some nostalgia cars. I never heard jungle jim complaining about any G. D dew. and if he couldn't run , he'd do two burnouts, one in each direction. while waving out the window to the crowd.
I think IHRA needs to get the hell out of new england. Reading these pitiful stories each year is really pissing me off.

The capacity crowd Saturday got a good show and so did the relatively smaller crowd today. Can't race in the rain and can't race on oil. Since the Friday tickets were honored either Saturday or Sunday, nobody got screwed out of anything and race officials can't do much about the weather or drivers who can't seem to figure out that their car is spraying oil all over the racing surface. The synthetic stuff most use these days is extremely difficult to clean up and when someone lays down 3.5 acres of oil spray it takes a long time to get it all back out of the track surface.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back