1st Nitro 4-Abreast? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
If I recall correctly, did Fresno Dragway hold the first ever 4-abreast nitro race on 64? Lions had some 4-wide stocker events and late in the decade York US-30 had some 4-wide Flopper shows.

Once again I think it may have been a $1000 or $1500-to-win winner take all maybe. James Warren, Jeep Hampshire, Bobby Walters, and Bob Sullivan were the combatants. I believe Blackie may have been the promoter.

TopFuel@Lions

Hmmmm, the old Fontana drags ran 4 T/F at least once. Saw photo of it somewhere, maybe mid - late 1960's???

Raced 4-wide myself back in the late 60s at the old Green Valley Raceway in Fort Worth (stock class). We had to; so many cars showed up on Saturday night they had to run 4-wide just to finish the race at a reasonable hour. After we finished running a round they often lined up four nitro funny cars. They were nothing like today but still, a few that had switched over to Crowerglides like Gene Snow were running 210mph. That was a little dicey considering Green Valley was a 2 lane facility.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back