1200' Racing? (1 Viewer)

n/a

Nitro Member
We sat at the finish line for the second Fuel session yesterday and noticed a few shut off at 1000', but the avg. is more like 1200'.
And then Dale Creasy comes along and that thing was under power to almost 1500'!! It was frightening to witness and I thought he was going into the net at 200, was surprised (and very relieved) to see him stopped way short of the end.
I haven't seen a replay of the run, but for all that did see it, does that sound accurate?

They said one of the horseshoes broke or unscrewed and that allowed the body to drop thus holding the injector open.

He said in the interview (on the PA) that the throttle stuck and he had to pull it back. (Treed...)

We sat at the finish line for the second Fuel session yesterday

I think those seats are great! They slightly aim back up the track. They would be the best seats in the house in my opinion if they still ran 1320 in those classes.

As far as Creasy, the body fell down a bit and hung the throttle open. Those are the scariest runs. Not sure if anyone does it with all the barrel valve mishaps (lifting bodies, top end slumping bodies etc) but half a football goal post bracket that protects the barrel valve and ascends up past the injector hat ought to keep a lot of that stuff from interfering with the assemblies....and no, before someone says it, I don't have my own funnycar to try it out on, just wondering if anyone has such a thing on their cars.

I do recall hearing some of his interview saying the throttle was hung open, but it was the sight of that thing under power waaay past the 1320 that was astonishing and frightening.
So much for the 1000' wick!

Forgot to mention I took two drag racing newbies along with me.
They've been to the stock car races with me and thought this would be more of the same.
As we walked in, TD was running so we stopped to watch a few pair. She say's, "it's much louder this close".
I couldn't wait to find Nitro Alley and not long after we walk in, Johnny Gray starts his warm up and we get blasted! The cloud just kind of hovered and
they were crying, coughing and couldn't get away fast enough.
It was great and I get the "look" that they might believe me that nothing assaults your senses like a fuel car!

Very disappointed most teams have eliminated the throttle whack though.
I understand why, but was really looking forward to getting my friends the full effect.

So, was it a typical "Mendenhall Racing" trip? Leave SD at 4 am, drive straight through (8 hours), watch qualifying and then drive straight home?!

lol, Believe it or not Bill, we actually flew up there and had some friends take us around SF Friday night and the races Saturday.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back